Did you know that you can take a frozen Uncrustable sandwich and turn it into a crazy delicious and sugary filled treat? Its incredibly delicious nd oh-so-easy to fry up PB&J (or the Hazelnut Chocolate version) for a super fun lunch, snack or dessert.
While this original recipe deep fries the sealed sandwich for the PERFECT golden brown crunch and outer layer that just screams DIP ME INTO SUGAR, you can also go the slightly healthier route and air fry (instructions below too!).
No matter how you enjoy Uncrustables this year, make sure you try this under 10 minute treat that has the internet buzzing.
Why this recipe works
Versatile: This recipe can be made and enjoyed in two ways – for lunch or a fun snack/dessert. Make Fried PB&Js for lunch or add some cinnamon sugar and turn them into a jelly filled homemade donut!
Exciting: Totally Kid friendly! The kids are going to run to this idea when you take what is normally frozen boxes of sandwiches and turn them into a deliciously fun lunch.
Quick: Because the Smuckers PB&J sandwich’s are already made, this cuts out the steps of creating your own sandwiches and making sure they are completely sealed so they do not fall apart in the frying process.
- 4 Uncrustable Sandwiches – thawed and any flavor
- Vegetable oil for frying – The amount will depend on the depth of the sauce pan you use, see recipe for details.
- Ground Cinnamon & White Sugar – Cinnamon sugar is a great way to enjoy these little sandwiches but there are other options, like powdered sugar, listed in Expert Tips below.
How to make Fried Uncrustables
- Use a cookie cutter or bottle cap to cut a center out of each Uncrustable. Note that if the hole is really big, you may need to pinch the inside dough of the circle back together so no jelly or peanut butter escapes. Also, you CAN skip the hole and just fry these as is. Set aside.
- Heat a pan of oil at least 2″ deep on a stove or use a deep fryer.
- Place each Uncrustable into the pan and fry on each side for 2 minutes or until browned.
- Drain on paper towels. Repeat until all uncrustables are fried, and fry the holes/centers if you wish.
- Mix together sugar and cinnamon and mix well while PB&J is frying.
- Dredge each Uncrustable in cinnamon sugar mixture, evenly coating each side. Serve while warm.
Dip Into or Serve with – Melted Nutella, melted peanut butter, syrup
Fried PB&J Topping Ideas – Cinnamon sugar is the easiest when it comes to fried foods. Its easy, tastes great and sticks quickly. We also use that same topping over in our Biscuit Donuts! But if you want to branch out and get creative, dip into homemade glaze, frost with chocolate frosting or melt down Nutella and drizzle a bit of hazelnut chocolate over the top. Another great idea is to shake the donuts in powdered sugar or brown sugar.
Branch out into new flavors: It isn’t just about the PB & J. Smucker’s brand Uncrustable come in other flavors like Hazelnut chocolate (just like Nutella), Taco Bites, Chicken Bites, Peanut butter and Honey and both Strawberry and Grape Jelly flavors. While you wont be able to dip all these kinds into cinnamon sugar toppings, they will work great for frying golden brown.
Air Fried: Yes, Uncrustables can be air fried and the bets part is there is no need to defrost. Simply unwrap the sandwich and remove plastic. Place frozen sandwich in air fryer on 390 degrees for 8 minutes and done! This won’t give you the deeper donut fry that vegetable oil will but is still a great way to enjoy a golden brown sandwich. I use a Ninja Foodi Air Fryer but any air fryer should work.
Absolutely! Just note that sandwiches are that are not completely sealed will fall apart in the frying. Make sure you use a sandwich cutter and sealer to be sure the edges are flush. You can check out a sandwich sealer (Which is great for all kinds of sandwich types) on Amazon. Our Pick for best sandwich sealer here.
Fried uncrustables went viral on TikTok in 2021 from users like IrishBear and AllRecipes. However, this idea has gone back really far and is found on Reddit and YouTube from years ago. I am unsure where it actually originated from but makes its rounds every few years as new generations discover it.
All oils have different smoke points as far as heat and they all have a unique flavor. I recommend using vegetable oil for this process as its not only inexpensive as far as frying oils go but also doesn’t alter the flavor of the PBu0026 J.
Yes! Do not oil fry a frozen Uncrustable because typically the outside will be ready before the inside is properly thawed.
Yes. Remove sandwich from plastic sleeve and place (frozen) in Air Fryer. Heat on 390 degrees for 8 minutes before removing and enjoying.
Small cookie cutter (as shown), Apple Corer, Milk Jug, Bottle Cap or Spice Jar lid.
Connect with Us!
Fried Uncrustables (TikTok)
- 4 Uncrustable peanut butter and jelly sandwiches - thawed
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- vegetable oil for frying
- Use a cookie cutter or bottle cap to cut a center out of each thawed Uncrustable. Set aside middle pieces aside. Note that if the hole is really big, you may need to pinch the inside dough of the circle back together so no jelly or peanut butter escapes. Also, you CAN skip the hole and just fry these as is
- Mix together white sugar and ground cinnamon in a wide bowl (wider than the sandwich). Set bowl to the side of the stove you are cooking on.
- Heat a pan of oil at least 2" deep on a stove or use a deep fryer. Oil should be fully heated before moving on, which is usually quite quickly. Oil should sizzle if a drop of water is dropped on the top.
- Carefully place each PB&J Uncrustable into the pan and fry on each side for 2 minutes or until browned.
- Drain excess oil on paper towels.
- Repeat until all uncrustables are fried, and optionally, fry the holes/centers if you wish.
- Dredge each fried sandwich in cinnamon sugar mixture, evenly coating each side.
- Serve warm with dipping sauce if desired.