Krispy Kreme Donut Bread Pudding became famous this year making the rounds as a viral TikTok recipe. Everyone was like….wha??? Donuts for bread pudding! But originally the recipe was started as far back as Southern culture begins and with one of the most famous kitchen connoisseurs of all – Paula Deen.
No matter how this deliciously sweet and satisfying breakfast casserole came to exist, we are so glad it does.
Uber sweet donuts from Krispy Kreme piled up in a casserole and topped with either syrup or Nutella (as we did) is enough to make your sweet tooth holler in joy.
Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding Ingredients
For this sweet breakfast casserole bread pudding, you only need 1 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts, cut down into about 8 pieces a piece. Krispy Kreme regular donuts have a nice sugary shell around them that is amazing in this recipe.
And while I adore super and sweet breakfasts like this, if you want balance the morning with some savory, try Sausage Hash Brown Casserole and a side of slow cooker grits. It’s a trifecta for a perfect buffet breakfast.
This entire recipe can be loaded in its entirety below on the easy to follow printable recipe card.
- Krispy Kreme donuts
- heavy whipping cream
- brown sugar
- Nutella hazelnut spread
Why Donuts for Bread Pudding?
The type of bread that you add into a bread putting recipe can really change the whole flavor of the dish. Classic Southern Bread Pudding, for example, is more of a traditional old fashioned recipe that incorporates raisins, just like grandma would make. This apple cinnamon bread pudding, however, already has some of that sweet cinnamon built right in making a soft and sweeter base for the custard glaze.
There really is no *wrong* way to make the bread pudding because at the end of the day its about finding a recipe that works for your needs at the time.
Using donuts is an excellent way to enjoy a sweet breakfast and donuts come in so many flavors that might go great – like (non-iced versions) blueberry, lemon and red velvet as well!
How to make Donut Bread Pudding
Bread pudding is mainly a two part process- creating the egg base that the bread bakes in and prepping the bread you are using – or in this case, donuts.
Taking a dozen classic Krispy Kreme donuts, cut each donut down in 8 pieces (try not to eat too many – its tempting, I know). Layer all the pieces into a casserole dish.
All bread pudding recipes (and usually most breakfast casseroles as well) need an egg base. This usually consists of a dairy and eggs that are poured into the bread.
Once donuts are in the dish and egg mixture is made, pour into the dish on top of the donuts. Using a spatula, gently press donuts into the egg and cream mixture, allowing them to soak up the liquid. Let the entire dish set for about 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 and bake for 40-45 minutes or until knife stuck into the center comes out clean of liquid.
Remove from oven and let bread pudding stand for 5 minutes.
Best Toppings for Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding
To be honest, this TikTok bread pudding can be served topping free. It has plenty of crispy bits of sugar and sweet donut that on its own is great.
But for presentation and to be a little extra (cause we all like to be a little extra) drizzle with melted Nutella, regular pancake syrup or a creamy custard.
If serving with Nutella: Heat Nutella in a microwave safe bowl for 15 seconds, stir. Return to microwave, heating in 15 second increments and stirring until runny (about 45 seconds total heating time). Drizzle on top of donut and serve warm
Sweet Breakfast Recipes
Of course this Krispy Kreme breakfast casserole isn’t the only way to enjoy a great breakfast.
- Cinnamon Apple Breakfast Bake
- TikTok Mini Pancake Cereal
- Pie Crust Pastries
- Strawberry French Toast Casserole
- Blueberry French Toast Casserole
- Cinnamon Southern Fried Apples
- Blueberry Cake Donuts
Krispy Kreme Donut Bread Pudding (TikTok)
- 1 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Nutella hazelnut spread
- Grease a 9x13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut each classic Krispy Kreme donut into 8 pieces and place into prepped casserole dish.
- In a separate large bowl, combine eggs, milk, heavy whipping cream, brown sugar, salt, vanilla and cinnamon and whisk well.
- Pour egg mixture over donuts and gently press donuts into liquid.
- Let Krispy Kreme donuts and egg mixture stand for 10 minutes, which allows the donuts to properly absorb liquid.
- Preheat oven to 350 and bake for 40-45 minutes or until knife stuck into the center comes out clean.
- Remove bread pudding from oven and let casserole stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat Nutella in a microwave safe bowl for 15 seconds, stir.
- Return to microwave, heating in 15 second increments and stirring until runny (about 45 seconds total heating time).
- Drizzle on top of donut bread pudding and serve entire dish warm.