Hot Cocoa Dippers, an extra-large marshmallow smothered in chocolate, is this year’s trendy, adorable, and delicious way to dunk into a hot mug of cocoa over the holiday.
Not only a perfect gift in its miniature size but oh so fun to eat, these chocolate dippers can be made in a variety of ways for a full plate of edible mini coffee cups. Meant to dunk into warm coffee or cocoa, the outside chocolate shell melts off into the heat, leaving a giant marshmallow to enjoy.
We break down, step by step, exactly how to make this viral recipe in your kitchen.
Why you will love making a Hot Chocolate Dipper this Holiday Season
Unlike hot chocolate bombs, this hot chocolate dipper contains no cocoa powder or regular mini-marshmallows. A complement to hot milk and a hot chocolate packet, this marshmallow dipper is the perfect way to add something special to a cup of cocoa!
Perfect for appetizers, the marshmallow is magically transformed into a little mini mug that melts into a cup of warm milk for some extra fun. Cute and delicious!
While the original recipe contains white chocolate and a little piping on the side, we switched it up to show how versatile and easy it is to get in the Christmas spirit with some creativity.
This viral recipe was inspired by TikTok User @KerriCupcake, and you can see all her adorable ideas right on her channel here.
- Giant marshmallows – For the best Marshmallow Cocoa Dippers, purchase the super enormous Marshmallows that are called Campfire Giant Roasters.
- Paper straws, lollipop sticks, or hot chocolate sticks – Paper straws look super cute as the marshmallows are shaped like a coffee cup or cup of cocoa. Additionally, like in our Solo Cup Chocolate Bomb Cups, you could use mini candy cane stems as the straw.
- Red candy melts – Candy melts come in a variety of striking colors. From white to red, choose one color or several for the outside shell of the cup. If you make more than one color for a holiday party or holiday gift, melt each color of chocolate into separate bowls.
- Miniature candy canes – The hook of the mini candy canes will become the mug handle.
- Mallow bits – Small mini dehydrated mallow bits work the best. They are typically near the powdered cocoa in the grocery store, or you can purchase amazon here.
- semisweet chocolate chips
How to make Marshmallow Cocoa Dippers
- Sort your marshmallows and choose ones that stand up well and look pretty even. Set them on a cutting board or baking sheet lined with wax paper or parchment paper.
- Using a knife, whack a candy cane to cut off the long “tail” and save the hook shape for a mug handle. Press each handle into the side of the marshmallow. You want it to go a little bit and create a decent indent/hole. Remove and set aside.
- Cut straws in half, or if using lollipop sticks, use full size. Press into the top of the marshmallow, going in about halfway. Remove. And set aside.
- Place 1/4 cup of candy melts into a resealable sandwich bag and do not seal. Place into the microwave and microwave on 50% powder for 60 seconds. Knead bag until smooth or repeat and heat and knead until smooth. Seal the bag and snip the tip.
- Pipe red melted candy onto the indented holes on the marshmallow for the handle. Gently press the cut candy cane handle into the side. Do the same with the top straw, piping candy into the hole and pressing the straw into the top. Let stand to harden.
- Place remaining candy melts into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 50% powder for 60 seconds and stir. Repeat until melted and smooth.
- Carefully place each marshmallow into the chocolate. Spoon chocolate onto the sides being careful to cover the handle and making sure the hole remains open in the handle.
- Gently place a fork at the bottom of the marshmallow, remove it from the melted candy and scrap the fork on the side of the bowl before placing the marshmallow onto the wax paper. Let stand to dry and harden completely.
- Add chocolate chips to a resealable bag, and do not seal.
- Place into the microwave and microwave on 50% powder for 60 seconds. Knead bag until smooth or repeat and heat and knead until smooth. Seal the bag and snip the tip.
- Pipe chocolate on the top to create hot cocoa.
- Place mallow bits into the melted chocolate and let stand to harden completely.
- To enjoy: Serve with a hot cup of cocoa.
It was super easy to break the candy cane with a whack with a sharp knife. I also recommend grabbing extra candy canes as sometimes they don’t break correctly.
I used half a bag of candy melts to get six marshmallows. I’d say, depending on how good you are at dipping chocolate, you’ll get 10-12 out of a whole bag.
The marshmallows used were Campfire Giant Roasters, and I grabbed them at Walmart. I took a photo of them to see the difference between regular and giant ones.
- DIY Smash Heart for Valentines Day
- Pokemon Hot Chocolate Bombs that look like Pokeball
- Harry Potter Cocoa Bombs
Leave A Reply!