Mummy jalapeno poppers are incredibly adorable, easy to make and create a splash on a Halloween appetizer table. Super cute addition to a seasonal Halloween party, these are almost too cute to eat. Almost.
Because once you bite into the incredible cream cheese filling, you will understand why this party recipe with its delicious creamy cheese filling is THE perfect side.
There is no doubt that if you are looking for the perfect recipe to serve as a spooky treat to guests, these little mummies are the drop-dead choice.
Why you will love making Halloween Jalapeno Poppers
These jalapeno popper mummies taste just like our 5-star tested and loved bacon-wrapped stuffed jalapenos because, truthfully, it’s the same delicious recipe! We just altered the final result by adding the cute crescent roll wrapping (2-3 small strips) you also see on Mummy Mushrooms.
You can do some prep work ahead. Stuffed jalapeno poppers can be made ahead of time, but we still suggest you do the wrappings the same day to prevent any humidity from trying to cook OR dry out the wrappings.
Just prep the stuffing and put it in the fridge completely covered, and complete the wrappings the next day before baking.
This Spooktacular treat is perfect for parties, potlucks, BBQs, and of course, the seasonal Halloween appetizer tray. Looking good and tasting even better is what you will achieve with these Halloween poppers!
- whole jalapenos – Starting with whole jalapenos, slice into jalapeno halves and scoop out seeds. Depending on your sensitivity, you may want to consider wearing gloves (like a rubber glove) and, as always, avoid touching your face when working with spicy hot peppers.
- Package cream cheese + shredded cheddar cheese = The perfect stuffed jalapeno cream cheese mixture. Any shredded cheese flavor will work to combine with cream cheese and create a creamy cheese filling. If you want more spice, try Pepper Jack cheese. For less spice, stick with cheddar shredded cheese, cheddar cheese blend, or Monterey Jack.
- Refrigerated crescent dough/ crescent rolls – Refrigerated crescent roll dough is super easy to work with; however, if you are preheating the oven, do not take the dough out too early and leave it to start accidentally rising on the counter. It’s best to stuff this party appetizer first and then pull the dough out and cut it into dough strips and turn it into mummy poppers. Keeping the cans in the fridge before use will prevent sticky pieces of dough.
- Cajun seasoning – As always, heat is optional, but we do recommend a dash of some Cajun seasoning or a bit of Cayenne for the perfect expected jalapeno popper flavor.
- Candy eyeballs – No, candy eyes aren’t compatible with savory jalapenos, but they give such an awesome expression. Pop them right when they come out of the oven to ensure they stay in place, but guests can eat the eyes separately if they like.
How to make Stuffed Mummy Jalapeno Poppers
- Preheat the oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with foil. Set aside. Wash and dry jalapenos.
- Slice each jalapeno pepper in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and discard. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese and cheddar cheese. If you are adding seasoning, add Cajun or Cayenne directly to cream cheese to mix in.
- Scoop cheese into each pepper half, pressing it into the shell. Clean fingers are the easiest way to spread the cream cheese in the jalapeno shells. Be careful not to overfill.
- Slice crescent rolls into 1/8″ strips with a pizza cutter.
- Wrap strips around the jalapeno to create a mummy. Tuck ends under the body. Repeat until all jalapenos are wrapped.
- Place onto a prepared baking sheet.
- Beat together egg and water (creates an egg wash egg mixture) and use a pastry brush to add the egg wash to the top of the rolls.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or just until the crescent begins to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven, top with eyes, and serve mummy poppers warm.
Expert Tips and Recipe Variations
- Spray non-stick cooking spray to the pizza cutter to prevent dough from sticking while cutting into strips.
- The thinner you pull the pizza dough around the poppers, the less chance it has to rise and get too puffy. We do recommend keeping dough tight and thin for a detailed mummy.
- Leave space for eyeballs. If you forget this and the entire jalapeno is wrapped, just use a dab of cream cheese on the back of the eye to “stick” it to the popper.
- Spice is always largely up to the crowd you are feeding. Kids may appreciate skipping Cayenne and Slap Ya Mama seasonings to simple garlic and onion powder.
What is the best way to remove jalapeno seeds?
There are many devices to help you scoop out peppers; the simplest way is simply to use a spoon and scrape out the middle.
Easy Halloween Recipes
There are so many great ways to enjoy the fall and beyond! Here are some of our favorite ways to host a Halloween party and get together this season!
- Wrapped Mummy Mushrooms with little peaking eyes are cute and a great take on a classic stuffed mushrooms recipe.
- Mummy Hot Dogs are delightful, and kids will love these right before they trick or treat!
- Buckeye Peanut Butter Balls, an old-fashioned throwback candy treat, taste like Reeses’ peanut butter cups.
- Def learn this Popcorn Balls with Marshmallows recipe for all the school fall fairs!
- Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Ghosts have little surprised ghost faces that you won’t mind biting into!
- Mozzarella Eyeballs take tiny bits of mozzarella balls, olives, and some marinara for creepy finger food.
- 5 Minute Sherbet Punch “Witches Brew” – This lime recipe is a fast party beverage that the smallest to the tallest will love.
Connect with Us!
If you try this recipe, please leave a review in the comment section – Your review helps others and is appreciated. Ensure you never miss a new side dish recipe by following us on Pinterest and signing up for our recipe email list!
Leave A Reply!