Apple breakfast bake with cinnamon, vanilla and caramel drizzle, can be served as a delicious breakfast casserole or with ice cream as an apple pie dessert. Easily made ahead the day before and put in fridge overnight, this apple breakfast bake makes the mornings SO easy by eliminating the prep time. Combine with blueberry french toast casserole and sausage hashbrown breakfast casserole for a delicious and amazing breakfast potluck that leaves no stomach hungry!
Truly a WOW caramel apple French toast casserole bake!!
Apple Breakfast Bake
This apple breakfast casserole is the perfect easy assembly that looks gorgeous, tastes amazing, and is so simple.
While you could use fresh apples and do it all the long way (try my cinnamon skillet apples here), keep your “french toast” casserole as simple as possible by using canned apple pie filling like I do in crock pot apple dump cake.
The great thing is that this breakfast bake isn’t as sweet as it seems.
The caramel sauce (optional) does add a bit of extra sweet, but more so its a complimentary flavor than a “too sweet” option.
And while I didn’t put it as part of the recipe, these delicious candied pecans would be a fantastic topper for some crunch.
Scroll to the bottom for a printable version of this post, including all measurements and instructions, so you can follow along in your kitchen without being on your phone.
Here is what you need to gather to get started:
- Italian bread, day old or fresh is fine
- white sugar
- ground cinnamon
- vanilla extract
- apple pie filling
- caramel sauce topping for serving (can find in the ice cream aisle)
Baked Apple Breakfast
This baked apple breakfast is very similar to any french toast casserole bakes.
It starts with a base of bread, like Italian and adds a cinnamon flavored egg wash and a fruit topping. I personally use Italian bread, even if the most common terminology is “french toast”.
Italian bread has more “bread” to the center and is easier to cut, while still being delicious.
I find that french bread is actually way too small, but you are welcome to give it a shot! You could also try an apple cinnamon raisin bread in this recipe.
Preheat oven to 350.
Grease a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Cut bread into 1″ pieces and place into baking pan. Set aside.
Add eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla into a mixing bowl and whisk well. Slowly pour eggs over bread, evenly coating bread as best as possible.
Spread apple pie filling on the top.
Bake casserole for 45-60 minutes or until center, when inserted with a knife, comes out clean (to show eggs are fully cooked).
Remove casserole from oven and let set for a few minutes.
Serve topped with caramel sauce.
Can you freeze Apple Breakfast Bake?
I believe this would freeze fine after it’s baked. It would be similar to freezing a pie. This also reheats well.
Can other Pie Filling Fruits be Used?
Absolutely! Follow the same directions and try other pie fillings like Cherry, Strawberry, or Mixed Berry!
Can you prep this casserole ahead and chill overnight?
Follow the directions up until the apple pie filling. Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate overnight.
How to bake from Fridge Prep
- Remove from fridge, and then preheat the oven. Top with apple pie filling before baking. Due to the casserole being extra cold, you might need to bake a little longer.
- Bring to room temperature and then proceed
- 1 loaf, 16 oz, Italian bread, day old or fresh is fine
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cans, 20 oz each, apple pie filling
- caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Cut bread into 1" pieces and place into baking pan. Set aside.
- Add eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla into a mixing bowl and whisk well. Slowly pour eggs over bread, evenly coating bread as best as possible.
- Spread apple pie filling on the top.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until center, when inserted with a knife comes out clean (to show eggs are fully cooked).
- Remove from oven and let set for a few minutes.
- Serve topped with caramel sauce.
- Serves 8-12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 295Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 121mgSodium: 371mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 10g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.