Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers with cream cheese, cheddar, and crispy bacon is the appetizer everyone is going back for.
Why you should make Jalapenos Wrapped in Bacon
Perfect for a crowd, this appetizer recipe is an all-time party favorite. While it may take some ahead thought to be sure you have those bright green jalapenos in the house, the actual recipe is super easy.
Simple ingredients often make the most potent flavors, and these stuffed jalapenos are no exception. And if you are scared of them bringing too much heat – don’t be. The cheese keeps this recipe downplayed, and removing the spicy jalapeno seeds keeps this recipe relatively tame.
Lastly, bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers can be prepped ahead and popped in the oven to bake once you need them. Prefer to use a Ninja Foodi or other air fryer? Try these Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers, which help keep the oven clear for other goodies like this twisted bacon recipe, air fryer chicken wings, or this creamy stuffed mushroom recipe.
To get started on this recipe, you need to gather the following ingredients – for full measurements, scroll to the bottom to print off an easy-to-follow recipe card that also makes shopping simple!
- Whole jalapenos – To prep the fresh jalapeno peppers to be stuffed, use a sharp knife and cut them in half. Then carefully remove the insides, including seeds. Many like to use gloves to avoid any cross-contamination of spices.
- Cream cheese – Cream cheese is best worked with softened, but since this batch goes onto the stove to completely melt into a cream cheese mixture, it’s an unnecessary step.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – Cheddar cheese is the most common and well-known cheese flavor for stuffed jalapenos, but it’s OK to get sharp cheddar cheese (or mild) or mix it up with a cheese blend. To kick it up a notch, use Pepper Jack instead!
- Bacon – Slices bacon should be uncooked.
- Cajun seasoning (optional) – If you want to get creative or add additional spices, try simple kosher salt and black pepper, a teaspoon garlic powder, a teaspoon of onion powder, or a variety of other different herbs and spices you have in your pantry.
How to make Bacon Wrapped Cheese Stuffed Jalapenos
- Preheat the oven to 400 and grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Slice each jalapeno pepper in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and discard. The seeds are where Jalapenos keep the spice, so when you remove those, you are left with a shell that almost anyone can enjoy. If you are sensitive to jalapenos, you may want to use disposable gloves. Set fresh jalapenos aside.
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese and cheddar cheese. If you add seasoning, add Cajun or Cayenne directly to cream cheese to blend in.
- Use a tablespoon scoop to add cream cheese into each Jalapeno halves, pressing it into the shell. Clean fingers are the easiest way to spread the cream cheese in the jalapeno shells. Be careful not to overfill. It’s easiest to use your (clean) fingers to smooth out and get inside the jalapeno.
- Wrap one-half strips bacon around each pepper, tucking the slice of bacon in or under the jalapeno, and place onto the baking sheet. Take care to tuck the ends of the bacon in or finish on the bottom, or they come loose once they start to crisp up.
- Place in preheated oven. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until bacon is done. Depending on the oven, you may need up to 23 minutes.
- If desired, broil Jalapeno Poppers for 2-3 minutes to crisp up the wrapped piece of bacon.
Are Jalapeno Poppers Low Carb?
Dietary: Heads up! This recipe is Gluten Free, Keto Friendly, and Low Carb Remember by pinning my KETO/LOW CARB pin.
Disclaimer: Dietary information provided by Carb Manager If you are on a KETO or Low Carb diet, always double-check your knowledge with this or My Fitness Pal based on the brands and weights you use. I am not responsible for the calculations but try to provide as much information as possible for readers to make informed decisions.
Are Stuffed Jalapenos Spicy?
Admittedly I don’t love all things spicy. I like my salsa spicy and a bit of Cajun on my pasta, but when it comes to most recipes, that’s about it. Which means I was terrified to try stuffed jalapeno.
Smothered and stuffed with creamy cream cheese and melty cheddar, the ooey-gooey just makes these appetizers disappear off the plate one by one. And because the seeds are removed, the authentic spice isn’t present.
Easy to make, stuffed with a simple yet flavorful stuffing, and wrapped in bacon, the only question you will have is, “why didn’t I make more??”
Jalapeno Popper Expert Tips
- If you use too much filling mixture in the jalapeno and overfill, you will not have enough to finish. You can either smooth out and transfer to a new jalapeno or make more dip. Remember that when the cream cheese begins to melt, it will ooze out of the shell, so I do not recommend overfilling.
- As noted before, gloves help prevent jalapeno juice or peppers from accidentally getting into sensitive eyes or nostrils.
- Stuffed peppers can be made with other peppers as well so if you want SUPER SPICY, try hot peppers like serrano peppers or habanero peppers. If you want mild or sweet peppers, try stuffed Pablano peppers.
- To prevent the bacon strips from unraveling (if you are not good at tucking in those ends), simply use toothpicks to hold in place. Make sure to completely discard toothpicks before serving.
What else can be added to a Stuffed Jalapeno?
It’s fine to add bits of pre-cooked crispy bacon to the cream cheese mixture as well as cooked sausage or cooked ground beef.
What to serve with Jalapeno Poppers.
Related Jalapeno Pepper Recipes
During the holidays, make sure to skip these regular Stuffed Jalapenos and trade them in for this adorable AND delicious Mummy Jalapeno Poppers recipe.
The creamy flavor of cream cheese just enhances this stuffed chicken and turns the whole thing into a jalapeno popper without the popper! Try Air Fryer Jalapeno Stuffed Chicken!
Loaded Jalapeno Popper Dip recipe made with bacon, cream cheese, and Parmesan topping is easily oven-baked for a hot, creamy appetizer dip that WOWS!
Connect with Us!