Shrimp and Cream Cheese Dip is a 10 minute dip that serves up fantastically at a party! Delicious shrimp with hearty cream cheese, makes a savory and amazing dip that will keep everyone coming back for more.
Serving up Shrimp Dip
As a bonus, this dip serves with just about any dipping device – chips, crackers, and veggies alike! This is not a watery wimpy dip, but a shrimp dip that will keep you FULL.
Holidays have about arrived and you may not have had many parties being planned but now you will! Tomorrow (For us) starts a week worth of winter weather here in the south, reaching somewhere around 30 degrees for a few days, so if anything its pushed my party planning and holiday menu planning in gear.
Traditionally you may not consider seafood part of your food plan this year, but you should! Shrimp, in general, are widely loved (even by “non” seafood people) and bring a unique and classy take to appetizers.
Shrimp with cream cheese also is versatile, being able to clear a bag of chips or veggies quite easily. Its also a hearty, thick dip, keeping everyone full until the main dish.
Now this shrimp dip recipe comes from my neighbors mom! She calls it “my moms shrimp dip” and its really good. You can adjust it pretty well to add some extras like fresh garlic or even substitute the ketchup (mainly used to give that pink coloring) for buffalo sauce or hot sauce to give this dip a spicy kick instead.
Shrimp and Cream Cheese Dip
This seafood dip is pretty easy to make as long as you have your shrimp already cooked.
When I make shrimp dishes, I typically buy a few pounds at once already prepped at the store. Then at home I do the tails and go ahead and saute them. It makes it really easy to whip up more than one recipe that includes shrimp at a time.
All those recipes are delicious and good options to serve up some seafood for a crowd.
Let’s get started on your shrimp and cream cheese dip!
- Celery – I like to get celery hearts that are already cut and ready
- Green Onions – side note – once you buy these, just put the base in a cup and they regrow like crazy in the kitchen with just water. Mine sit by the stove and give me fresh green onions every day of the week! If they get long, I just trim up and let them keep growing.
- Fresh Shrimp – peeled and de-veined
- Worcestershire sauce
- Whipping Cream
- Seasonings – I use Lawry’s Seasoning Salt
- Cream Cheese
What is the ketchup for?
The ketchup is more for color than taste. The shrimp don’t exactly give a pink tone to the dip so you add ketchup to pink it up.
That being said, if you use a LOT of ketchup you could alter the taste quite a bit, so try not to go overboard just to make it pink.
Is this Shrimp Dip Keto Friendly?
Prepare your Shrimp
As mentioned above, this recipe calls for already pre-cooked shrimp.
I buy mine fresh at the seafood counter at Publix. Just slide the tails off carefully so you do not waste a lot of of the shrimp. Saute your shrimp in a little light olive oil and butter till done. This typically takes around 6 minutes or so. do not overcook your shrimp.
Once done, place in fridge to cool so when you add to cream cheese it doesnt melt it down.
Prepare your Veggies
Cut up your green onions, slice your celery into bite sized pieces and cut up your shrimp (I do 3 bites per shrimp on the cut). I like to get as much out of the shrimp as possible as well as make it easy to mix in the dip.
Is there a substitute for Celery?
Celery is a pretty unique vegetable with not a lot of strong taste, so substituting it is hard. If you wanted to take it out due to an allergy and still wanted that crunch in the dip, try water chestnuts as a substitute. Also, not a substitute, but this dip would also be fine with cut up artichokes as an additive.
How to make Perfect Shrimp and Cream Cheese Dip
Combine all ingredients that you have prepared into a bowl
Mix well (You can use a hand mixer for best results)
Add more ketchup if you need additional pink color or substitute for buffalo or hot sauce to spice it up
Serve cold with chips, raw vegetables or butter rounds
Reasons to Love this Shrimp and Cream Cheese Dip
- Filling appetizer – This dip is thick so you can bring out the big chips and scoops!
- No Mayo – A lot of people like no may dips and this one qualifies! The heavy whipping cream and cream cheese make it plenty of creamy, so no mayo needed
- Serves great with – just about anything! This dip is a fantastic appetizer that compliments pasta salads, other finger food appetizers like pinwheel sandwiches and buffalo tuna celery sticks, and of course dips.
Can you freeze Shrimp Dip?
I am not a huge fan of freezing dips with cream cheese as the dairy can separate.
You CAN freeze it for a week and then just thaw in fridge when ready to eat, but it wont have the same fresh consistency.
Serve Shrimp Dip With
- Butter Rounds – Butter rounds go great with dips because they are strong
- Celery – I love cutting up celery hearts, which make an easy dipping spoon
- Broccoli – Cut up a head of broccoli for raw dipping
- Cauliflower – Underrated, but so delicious. Cut up a head of cauliflowers to serve
- Carrots – I know it sounds unusual, but carrots are a great raw veggie for cream cheese dips
- Ridged Potato Chips: Wavy Lays, Ruffles, and Fritos – the salt is delicious with dips
Make sure you come back and tell me any changes you made, if you loved it and always be sure to share with me your pictures on social media by tagging with #SaltySideDish
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1/2 cup of chopped green onions
- 1 cup fresh cooked shrimp
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream
- 3 squirts of Ketchup
- 2 blocks of room temperature/softened cream cheese
- seasoning salt
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl
- Mix well (You can use a hand mixer for best results)
- Add more ketchup if you need additional pink color or substitute for buffalo or hot sauce to spice it up
- Serve cold with chips, raw vegetables or butter rounds
Keto Friendly Dip - 1 cup of dip serves approx 3 people ( 1/3rd cup a piece)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 113Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 302mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 0gSugar: 16gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.