Nothing says Southern side dish like potato salad. With a creamy mayo and mustard base, this potluck staple is exactly the kind of recipe you have come to expect at a BBQ.
Plus, smothered with extras like chopped crispy bacon and shredded cheese, you can really take this side dish recipe to the next level as far as a common potato salad is concerned.
Made with golden potatoes over red potatoes, you get a finer, more silky and creamy potato that has an old fashioned and classic recipe taste. Grab your sweet tea and let’s get started!
Potato Salad Ingredient List
Before starting in on this homemade potato salad recipe, it’s good to see if you have all the ingredients on hand. Here is a quick glance grocery list and once you verify you have everything to start, scroll down for in depth instructions and a printable recipe card.
In this country potato salad, I use Gold potatoes. Gold potatoes refer to yellow potatoes or what are called Yukon potatoes. They have medium starch and hold up really well, which you need once all that creamy mayo and sour cream gets added.
- gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2″ slices
- sour cream
- real mayonnaise
- ranch powder
- bacon, cooked and crumbled
- shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- parsley garnish
Prep Potatoes for Salad
- Before you get started, its time to boil! First cut the potatoes down in slices and cube.
- Add cubed golden potatoes and cold water to a large sauce pan.
- Make sure there is enough water to cover the potatoes by 1″.
- Heat pan on medium high heat until the water begins to boil.
- Continue boiling potatoes for 10-15 minutes or until a fork pressed into a piece goes in easily.
- Once done, remove from heat, drain and rinse with cold water. Let the potatoes cool down completely before moving onto the next part of the recipe.
How to make the Best Southern Potato Salad!
- In a large mixing bowl, add pre-cooked and cooled potatoes, sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard and ranch powder.
- Mix well. (side note that you can pre-combine the ingredients into homemade dressing first and then combine into potatoes if preferred)
- Season potato salad with salt and pepper.
- Mix again very well.
- Add in cooked, crispy bacon, shredded cheddar cheese and mix well.
- Refrigerate potato salad for about 4 hours or overnight before serving, which allows the flavors to acclimate. Potato salad is always one of those recipes that does better the next day, so I encourage you to make this one ahead.
Potluck Favorite Recipes
Looking for more picnic and potluck friendly recipe that pleases a hungry crowd?
- If you are looking for another classic, this is my Grandma’s favorite Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad recipe!
- Nothing says Thanksgiving like adding a green marshmallow and pistachio Watergate Salad.
- As far as sides go, Ambrosia Salad, complete with maraschino cherries and mandarin oranges, is a kid friendly and family holiday favorite.
- If you love a little bit of spice with BBQ, these Slow Cooked Baked Beans are hot and ready all day long!
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" slices
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup real mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ranch powder
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Add potatoes and cold water to a large sauce pan. Make sure there is enough water to cover the potatoes by 1".
- Heat on medium high heat until boiling.
- Boil potatoes for 10-15 minutes or until a fork pressed into a piece goes in easily.
- Drain potatoes and rinse with cold water. Let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl add cooked and cooled potatoes, sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard and ranch powder. Mix well.
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add in bacon and shredded cheese and mix well.
- Refrigerate for about 4 hours or overnight before serving.
- You can make the potatoes the night before for easy assembly.
- This creamy potato salad goes well with boiled and sliced eggs as well.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 714Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 817mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 20g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.