Asparagus Stuffed Chicken a fast and easy chicken breast recipe that will knock your socks off. Roll out your chicken and stuff with melty cheese and perfect asparagus spears to create an under 30 minute recipe that you can enjoy any night of the week.
Every time I am at the store, asparagus lands in my cart. Yes, sometimes it goes bad before I can use it but seriously, once its in the fridge my wheels start turning on how I can serve it up.
If you think you don’t like asparagus, maybe you just haven’t eaten it the right way. As a novice, try asparagus with bacon….I mean who doesn’t love bacon, you know.
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
I can’t say that everyone in my family loves asparagus, but I sure do! This is a low carb veggie and paired with chicken proteins, is practically a perfect no guilt meal. Fast, easy, and totally tasty, this recipe is a killer week night meal.
Then scroll down for full Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Measurements and instructions on creating this recipe – including a full recipe card that you can print for free that helps you shop and create easily in your kitchen.
Before you get started on this recipe, you will need the following ingredients.
- Chicken breasts
- asparagus spears
- mozzarella cheese
- Italian seasoning
- Italian bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast
Preheat oven to 375 and grease a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Now for chicken there are a lot of ways to stuff chicken.
A lot of people like finding a thick chicken breast and cutting into it and adding your cheese and veggies, but I prefer pounding down the chicken so its even and folding it. This not only makes your meat easier to cook but a lot more evenly as well!
No more guessing if it’s done at the thickest part.
Place plastic wrap on a flat surface and place a single chicken breast onto the plastic wrap.
Top your chicken with another piece of plastic wrap and use a meat tenderizer to flatten chicken until about 1/2″ thick. If you do not have plastic wrap, I found that a large gallon sized baggie works pretty well as well.
When you tenderize your chicken, it can get shredded a bit in the process. It’s not a big deal, but try not to pound out actual holes and keep the chicken as even as possible.
Season chicken breast generously with salt and pepper.
Add 5 slices of asparagus to the center of the chicken, sprinkle half of of your shredded cheese and additional seasoning on top of the spears.
Roll up chicken breast and place seam side down on the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with half of the bread crumbs directly on the rolled up chicken.
NOTE: If you want to secure your seams, you can add a toothpick to hold the spot the chicken meets at. Just make sure you remove the toothpicks prior to serving!
Repeat with the second chicken breast.
Low Carb Stuffed Chicken Variation
Prefer a low carb asparagus stuffed breast? Leave off the bread crumbs and instead sear the outside of your chicken in a cast iron pan for a few minutes, then proceed with adding your asparagus and place in the oven.
How long to bake Stuffed Chicken?
Bake chicken for 25 minutes or until cooked thoroughly. I used a temperature fork to let me know chicken is cooked safely.
Asparagus Side Dishes
Need more asparagus side dish options? Try
- Cheesy Asparagus Baked and Keto Friendly
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus (great appetizer~)
- Oven Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan
- Roasted Asparagus and Potatoes
- Asparagus Quiche
- Asparagus Pizza
- Roasted Asparagus (plain)
Perfect Side Dishes To Serve
Although this asparagus is stuffed with…well…asparagus, it doesn’t mean you need to keep the side dishes out!
- I always say the more vegetables the better! Try adding some carrots, green beans, brussels sprouts, or even some roasted butternut squash to this chicken breast meal.
- And because this is mostly low carb (if you skip the bread crumbs), you can easily get away with adding a starchy side dish like these steakhouse mashed potatoes as well.
- Gnocchi, zucchini, and casseroles like this squash side dish go great on the side of stuffed chicken,
Stuffed with Cheese!
Mozzarella is pretty much my family’s favorite cheese, but its OK to change it up and try this recipe with provolone or even a mild cheddar!
Additionally, stuffed asparagus chicken is great with mushrooms inside (or honestly a mushroom cream sauce over the top), or bits of cooked bacon as well. Another option is to replace asparagus with spinach instead.
Is Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Keto Friendly?
In theory chicken stuffed with asparagus and cheese is keto friendly and low carb, but in my recipe we do add some bread crumbs so that knocks it out of most strict keto lifestyles.
That being said, skip the addition of bread crumbs and instead add a mixture of Parmesan and Hellman’s mayo to add a fake crust and keep it keto friendly.
** Just take about a half cup of Hellman’s, 1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan, mix in a bowl and spread on the outside of the chicken breast in place of bread crumbs. It forms a light “crust” and keeps your chicken moist and compatible to most diets!
Love Chicken Breast Recipes?
Try one of my many family favorite recipes
- Alice Springs Chicken
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken
- Baked Pepperoni Chicken
- Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken
- Chicken Casserole with Ritz
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts
- 10 asparagus spears
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Italian bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place plastic wrap on a flat surface and place a single chicken breast onto the plastic wrap.
- Top with another piece of plastic wrap and use a meat tenderizer to flatten chicken until about 1/2" thick.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 5 slices of asparagus to the center of the chicken, sprinkle half of the cheese and half of the seasoning on top.
- Roll up and place seam side down on the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with half of the bread crumbs.
- Repeat with the second chicken breast.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked thoroughly.