Creamy white biscuit gravy with simple ingredients is what a great morning is made of. Perfect to smother homemade buttermilk biscuits with, this peppered gravy is a classic delicious option that takes minutes to whip up.
Country gravy (basic white gravy) is a sausage-free, bacon grease-free white sauce guaranteed to provide you with the perfect creamy comfort dish.
Why you will love Breakfast Gravy without Sausage.
I love biscuits n’ gravy, but it’s just a heavy breakfast recipe. Gravy from scratch is surprisingly easy and much better than falling back on a jar of white gravy for biscuits.
While sausage is usually a no-brainer for me when it comes to a breakfast casserole recipe, I think twice before adding it to the white gravy. Keeping homemade biscuits and gravy simple will lighten the load (so to speak) on comfort food.
Whether you call biscuit gravy, peppered gravy, country gravy, or sawmill gravy, this flour-based white gravy recipe is perfect for not only biscuits but also chicken fried steak.
Once you have a simple gravy recipe, you will realize the versatility in many gravy-needed menus that do not just include a flaky biscuit.
- Unsalted butter – Butter is half the flavor of any good breakfast recipe.
- Flour – All-purpose flour is used to thicken the white gravy.
- Seasonings – Salt, ground black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Milk – It’s also OK to use half and half or a mixture of cream and milk. Heavy whipping cream gives the gravy a bit of richness.
- Biscuits for serving
How to make White Biscuit Gravy without Sausage
- Add butter, and flour, season with salt, black pepper, and garlic to a heavy skillet, and heat over medium heat until browned, about 10 minutes, whisking frequently.
- Slowly whisk in milk until the flour mixture is no longer lumpy.
- Heat the biscuits and gravy without sausace mixture until it thickens, which takes about 5 minutes.
- Serve gravy immediately over warm this American biscuit recipe.
Breakfast Gravy Variations
- Breakfast Sausage Gravy: If you prefer a classic Southern recipe, the white gravy should include cooked sausage and its drippings.
- White Pepper Gravy: Some country homestyle gravy has the distinct flavor of super peppery. It’s OK to season with pepper as much as you like. I suggest starting with a tsp at a time until you reach the flavors you like. You can always add more in, but you can’t take it back out.
- Instead of serving over fluffy biscuits, serve over chicken tenders!
Can water be used in place of milk for a white gravy recipe?
It can, but I do not recommend it. You will lose some flavor if it’s made of water or chicken stock. Better substitutes would be heavy whipping cream, half and half, or even buttermilk.
Suggested homemade gravy seasoning.
I like to keep creamy gravy simple with salt, pepper, and garlic. However, extra flavor it with other savory seasonings and herbs like basil, oregano, thyme, and onion powder.
Gravy also does well with a spicy kick like Slap Ya Mama Seasoning.
How to thin gravy from scratch.
If gravy cooks too long, it can become thick.
It’s easy to thin out gravy by whisking in a bit of milk a little at a time until the thinner gravy consistency is desired.
Can White Country Gravy be made ahead of time?
It can, but the fridge will thicken up the gravy.
To reuse, pour into a saucepan and heat on low on the stove. Add a bit of heavy whipping cream or additional milk to thin as needed.
Related Breakfast Dishes
- Looking for a hearty potluck breakfast dish? Try this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole recipe!
- Want a simple and quick breakfast? Take this Tiktok Breakfast Egg Sandwich for a spin.
- If you have never had TikTok pesto and eggs, it’s time to try.
- Hot Biscuits and gravy (as well as biscuits and gravy casserole recipe) are hearty, but if you need a breakfast side dish, twisted bacon does a great job filling that spot.
- Serve with fresh fruit (or ambrosia salad) and hashbrowns.
- Sweeten up the morning with a strawberry french toast casserole recipe.
Connect with Us!