Pesto Eggs, one of TikTok’s most famous TikTok Food Trends, is not only worth the hype but incredibly flavorful. Perfect eggs, fried in pesto and gently laid on a piece of avocado toast, are only heightened by the little bit of honey at the end.
If you are thinking of making ingredient substitutions or variations on this one – don’t! Life-changing pesto eggs are a trend worth making.
Why you will LOVE this TikTok Recipe
While there are many takes and variation videos on this TikTok viral recipe, the elements are all there that bring together a creamy, tasty, and incredible combination with so much flavor. Basil pesto is already full of bold flavors but balanced with cream cheese and honey; this one is a keeper.
This breakfast recipe is so unique that it will boost your mood. In today’s busy world, it’s easy to grab a cup of coffee (like this Dalgona Trend) and go. But taking the time to prepare the toast lovingly, avocado and eggs are not only worth the wait but a great way to start the morning.
Eggs are so easy to alter – make them scrambled, sunny side up, over easy, it doesn’t matter. The recipe will still taste the same smothered on the toast and make a great breakfast sandwich.
- Classic basil pesto – Pesto itself is typically made of pine nuts (or other nuts), grated cheese, oil, seasonings, and in this case, basil leaves. Fragrant pesto is ground down really small and often used in Italian dishes like homemade pizza, Caprese sandwiches, and even pesto pasta salad.
- Eggs – The original recipe gives a nice sunny side or over-easy egg. You can choose to leave a runny yolk or cook the yolk through to a medium-hard version. The choice of egg preparation can be incredibly personal, so do what YOU like.
- Thick sliced bread – Pre-sliced French bread is a great bread option and gives a great foundation to place avocado on.
- Cream cheese – Use full-fat Philadephia Cream Cheese. It’s always best to pull cream cheese out of a foil container and let it naturally soften on the counter before needing it. This allows the cream cheese to spread easier on the toast. Another tip here is to purchase spreadable cream cheese in a container.
- Fresh avocado – While fresh avocado is preferred, if they are out of season or hard to find, an unseasoned premade guacamole (like Wholly Guacamole classic blend) is a perfect spreadable substitute.
- Honey – Did you know that honey comes in a variety of types? I prefer wildflower honey, but it’s relatively strong honey. Clover honey works excellent, as is raw honey with bits of comb pieces.
How to make Pesto Eggs
- Add a spoonful of pesto to a small non-stick frying pan and heat over medium-low heat.
- Add eggs in delicious pesto and season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook eggs to your liking. I prefer a medium-hard egg. This typically takes 2-3 minutes on one side and flipping over for about 30 seconds to quickly seal the top.
- Toast a piece of French or Italian Bread.
- Spread one tablespoon of cream cheese onto each toasted bread.
- Top each slice of bread with half of the mashed avocado.
- Drizzle with honey.
- Place the pesto egg on top of the toast and serve immediately.
Expert Cooking Tips
- The pesto already has oil; therefore, no pan spray or extra oil is needed in this dish.
- Make sure the pan doesn’t get too hot. You want to cook the eggs medium, so they are not only evenly cooked but not overcooked.
- This awesome breakfast sandwich isn’t a dish that can be saved well the next day. It’s best served hot and ready right off the skillet, so if you want to serve with a side of bacon (or any other side dish), prep that first and then move on to the eggs.
- Breaking the eggs into a bowl over a skillet makes sure that any shells don’t get into the pan. There is nothing worse than having to fish around a hot skillet for a tiny eggshell. Once eggs are sitting in a bowl and ready, slowly slide them into the pesto pan.
Pesto Eggs Variations
- Add on a dash of red pepper flakes.
- While a side of bacon is always great, adding a few small slices of bacon right on top of the avocado (under the pesto egg) is delicious too!
- Skip the cream cheese for Greek Yogurt, feta cheese, Ricotta cheese, or goat cheese spread.
- Instead of serving on bread, try cooked hashbrowns, toasted bagels, English muffins, or inside a breakfast burrito.
- Top with a bit of spicy salsa or sriracha.
- TikTok Twisted Bacon
- TikTok Baked Feta Pasta
- Candy Coated Strawberries TIKTOK
- Ninja Foodi Hard Boiled Eggs
- TikTok Baked Oats
- Sheet pan Eggs
- TikTok Potatoes
Connect with Us!