Candied Lemon Slices and Candied Orange Slices are not only lovely cupcakes and dessert decorations but look and taste deliciously fresh.
Homemade candied citrus went widely crazy on TikTok and is the perfect garnish for the upcoming holiday season – decorate any sweet treat from handmade pies and cakes to simply dipped in chocolate!
Once you learn how easy it is to make candied fruit, you will have the perfect trick to make desserts look fancy.
Why you will love making Candied Citrus Peels.
Crystalized candied is one of the first old-fashioned recipes invented to decorate and use up those bright and bold lemon and orange slices.
Bursting with flavor, this recipe is straightforward and a great holiday treat.
Where did TikTok Candied Lemons and Oranges Recipe come from?
This throwback recipe has been around for a long time! But we were inspired to candy our lemons and oranges when we saw this fantastic trending video recipe from @thecanok.
- orange slices or Meyer lemon slices/ lemon peels
- fresh water
- granulated white sugar
How to make Candied Orange Slices
- Thinly slice oranges (mandolines work great for this) and if using both oranges and lemons, keep them separate.
- Boil orange slices in a pot of water for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- In a separate pan, combine water and sugar and mix well. Heat on medium heat, stirring frequently and heating until sugar is no longer grainy and begins to bubble.
- Add orange slices and heat for 20 minutes, continuing to bubble and boil. Flip slices occasionally while cooking.
- Remove oranges from heat and let excess sugar mixture drip; place candied fruit onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside to dry and set up.
- When ready to serve, peel from the paper and enjoy.
How to make Candied Lemon Slices
- Thinly slice regular lemons (mandolines work great for this, but a sharp knife is fine) and if using both oranges and lemons, keep them separate.
- Boil lemon slices for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- In a separate medium saucepan, combine water and sugar and mix well. Heat on medium heat, stirring frequently and heating until sugar is no longer grainy and begins to bubble.
- Add lemon slices to sugar syrup and heat for 20 minutes, continuing to bubble and boil. Flip slices occasionally while cooking.
- Remove lemons from heat and let excess sugar mixture drip; place candied fruit onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside to dry and set up.
- When ready to serve, peel candied lemons from the paper and enjoy.
Our thoughts on this TikTok Viral Recipe
These are sticky. I don’t know if it is because of the humidity in my house/summertime and we have the AC on. I just want you to understand it’s not a super hard coating on the outside like we see in making Tanghulu Strawberries or Tanguhulu Grapes.
That being said, these are perfect! Sweet but have a good flavor; like an orange or hard lemon candy that’s still a bit chewy.
- You could pop out the seeds, but I just left them there. They didn’t seem to matter either way.
- If you make multi-fruit slices at once, you can use the same boiled sugar mixture.
- These slices would look great on a cupcake, but I’d recommend cutting them in quarters; if not, place them flat on the top of the cupcake. Just because they aren’t crispy hard.
- Have leftover syrup? This recipe is all about using leftovers! If you have extra simple syrup, it can also be cooled down and reused in lemonades and teas.
- Eaten alone, candied lemons can be a bitter flavor. Dip in dark chocolate to add sweetness to the citrus slices.
- Other than Meyer lemons and organic oranges, try making candied slices with navel oranges and blood oranges for a wide range of beautiful garnishes that only take a bit of time.
Related Viral Fruit Recipes
Have extra oranges and lemons? Make DIY Crockpot Potpourri to make the house smell divine!
We tested watermelon slices – see how it went.
Fresh, this TikTok Watermelon Salad recipe with feta cheese is all you need for lunch.
Coconut water and fresh fruit teamed up to make a colorful nature’s cereal trend.
Why this custard toast recipe is trending.