Caprese Stuffed chicken with balsamic glaze has delicious tomatoes and mozzarella cheese and is a perfect chicken breast recipe that you can count on for a WOW dinner menu. Nothing is more delicious and easier to make than this restaurant quality chicken recipe.
Baked chicken recipes do not have to be complicated to taste delicious and you will be surprised at how few ingredients you can use to to create menu perfection. Plus serve with these incredibly creamy mashed potatoes as a side dish.
Caprese chicken with balsamic reduction is about the best way to eat dinner tonight. Everyone loves garlic, fresh basil and tons of seasonings and you will be surprised at how easy this dish is to create.
Why you will love this Balsamic Caprese Chicken
Hot and melty Caprese stuffed chicken with balsamic reduction and garlic is one of the most satisfying meals you can make in a home kitchen. Stuffed boneless skinless chicken comes to life when stuffed with mozzarella rounds, fresh basil leaves and sun dried tomato pieces. Flavor packed, Caprese is one of the most popular combination of flavors for a reason.
- chicken breasts
- sun dried tomatoes in oil
- mozzarella cheese rounds
- fresh basil
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- minced garlic
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
How to make Caprese Stuffed Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350. Cut a pocket into each chicken breast.
- Tuck 1/4 of the jar of tomatoes into the pocket.
- Now add 2 mozzarella cheese rounds and fresh basil leaves.
- Add additional sun dried tomatoes and season chicken with half of the oregano and basil on top.
- Close the pocket and tuck shut with toothpicks inserted at an angle. Repeat with the other chicken breast.
- Place chicken into an ovenproof skillet and heat on medium heat, about 3-5 minutes on each side until browned. Mix together garlic and balsamic and pour over chicken.
- Place into the pre-heated oven for an additional 10 – 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Top with chopped fresh basil and an extra side of balsamic glaze for dipping.
As you can see in the chicken images, we used a very sharp knife to slice through the center of the chicken, taking care to only cut partially so the cheese, tomatoes and basil do not come out the other side. Just a reminder to remove toothpicks prior to serving!
Weight Watchers Nutritional Notes: 6 Points per serving for 2 servings IF using fat free mozzarella cheese.
Meal Prep for Caprese Chicken: This is quick prep to put together, maybe 10 minutes. Adding stove top and baking time, this meal is under 30 minutes making it quick. If you don’t have an oven proof pan, you can transfer to a baking dish or casserole dish after browning in the skillet.
Do not forget: Make sure to remove the toothpicks prior to serving!
A slice of mozzarella is traditionally used in Caprese but feel free to experiment with other types of cheeses. Try smoked gouda, white cheddar, asiago or Havarti.
Sun dried tomatoes are a very specific flavor for a lot of people and some prefer fresh tomatoes. It’s easy to substitute for cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes in this dish if you want. That being said, sun dried tomatoes have a beautiful tart flavor and are really quite delicious with chicken, so give it a shot!
When cooking more than one chicken breast (as most do) make sure that each piece you choose is as even as possible with the other piece. If one chicken is super thick, its fine to pound it down slightly to be even. Just be careful not to over flatten it or it wont cut properly to stuff.
According to Food safety practices, chicken should be cooked to 165 degrees.
We like to serve our chicken with crusty Italian or French bread and a Greek salad.
Related Caprese Recipes
Connect with Us!
Caprese Stuffed Chicken with Balsamic Glaze
- 2 chicken breasts - boneless, skinless
- 3.5 oz. sundried tomatoes in oil
- 4 fresh mozzarella cheese rounds
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut a pocket into each chicken breast.
- Tuck 1/4 of the jar of tomatoes into the pocket followed 2 cheese rounds and basil leaves.
- Add additional sun dried tomatoes and close the pocket and tuck shut with toothpicks inserted at an angle. Repeat with the other chicken breast.
- Season chicken breasts with half of the oregano and dried basil on top.
- Place chicken into an ovenproof skillet (like cast iron) and heat on stove medium heat, about 3-5 minutes on each side until browned.
- In a bowl, mix together minced garlic and balsamic vinegar and pour over chicken in skillet.
- Place pan into the oven for an additional 10 – 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through to 165 degrees.
- Top with chopped fresh basil and a bit of balsamic glaze if desired.