Baked Pepperoni Chicken is an Italian inspired chicken recipe that is just dripping with ease, perfection and tons of cheesy bites. Deliciously melty and the perfect compliment to the pull apart pizza bread appetizer, you get the best of both worlds with a full week night chicken breast dinner everyone in your family will love.
Pepperoni Chicken Recipe
Baked Chicken “Pizza” Breasts are such a fun and exciting way to enjoy a delicious dinner everyone will love. I make this chicken breast pizza with simply ingredients like mozzarella cheese and pepperoni, but you can also alter with crumbled sausage bits or add some mushrooms, green peppers, and olives to dial up the flavor.
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 12 mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices pepperoni, quartered
- chopped fresh basil for garnish, optional
- black olives – optional
RELATED RECIPES: Easy Garlic Parmesan Chicken Baked Recipe, Chicken and Rice Bake Recipe, Chicken Casserole with Ritz Cracker Topping, Pressure Cooker Cheesy Chicken Pasta, Ritz Cracker Chicken Recipe with Sour Cream Sauce, Copycat Alice Springs Chicken
SERVE WITH THESE SIDE DISHES: Marinated Tomato Salad, Spinach Casserole Recipe, Pressure Cooker Corn on the Cob Recipe, Roasted Mushrooms Recipe, Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe, Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Baked Pepperoni Chicken Breasts
*note that timing on this recipe is based on my chicken. If your chicken is extra thick, you may need to pound down breasts in order to be able to be cooked in 30 minutes OR extend cooking times longer.
- Preheat oven to 400 and grease a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a shallow dish, combine bread crumbs, cheese, salt, oregano, basil and pepper. Mix well.
- In a separate shallow dish, add egg and beat well.
- Dip chicken into egg and coat on both sides, then dip into bread crumb mixture, turning to coat both sides.
- Place coated chicken onto prepared baking pan.
- Repeat for all chicken breasts.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes.
Chicken with Pepperoni
- Remove chicken from oven and top each chicken breast with half of the pizza sauce, half of the cheese and half of the pepperoni.
- Return to oven to bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and chicken is fully cooked through.
- Serve topped with shredded, fresh basil.
Can you stuff the Chicken Breasts?
You can! In fact, stuffing the chicken with more pepperoni might be delicious! You can easily cut the middle of your chicken, prep as normal, and instead of adding on top at that step, simply add to middle of chicken and continue baking. You can check out Asparagus Stuffed Chicken and Caprese Stuffed Chicken if you need to learn how to stuff chicken.
Is Baked Pepperoni Chicken Keto Friendly?
I know so many people are on low carb diets. This chicken breast recipe is no exception! You can easily make this dinner recipe low carb and keto friendly by removing the bread crumbs and baking naked, then following instructions with toppings. If you want the crunch, many people on low carb diets also use Almond Meal/Flour or a Parmesan cheese and mayo mixture. You can make up your mind on what works best for you or skip them all to be sure.
WEIGHT WATCHERS INFORMATION: 4 Points per serving for 2 servings IF skipping the breading and Parmesan cheese and using fat free mozzarella cheese and turkey pepperoni
As always, thank you for visiting my little spot on the web. If you enjoyed this recipe or made tweaks that worked well, please leave me a comment and let me know. I always enjoying trying your changes as well!