Howdy partner! If you’ve found your way to this blog, you are probably looking to whip up delectable, delicious, and fiery Cowboy Butter.
Now, you might be wondering what makes this sauce the talk of the town and why every cowboy and cowgirl from Texas to Timbuktu is rustling up this lively dipping sauce in their kitchens.
Well, saddle up, and let me take you on a journey to discover the best Cowboy Butter Recipe and all the wild tales that come with it!
Why You’ll Be Head Over Boots for Cowboy Butter!
- Burst of Bold Flavors: Cowboy butter doesn’t do subtle. With its zesty, tangy, and spicy blend, it’s an explosion of taste in every bite, transporting you straight to a lively Western hoedown.
- Goes with Everything: It’s hard to think beyond juicy steak, but the flavorful ingredients will be your trusty sidekick for grilled chicken, seafood, veggies, and even as a tantalizing dip for fresh crusty bread. Serve this up at your next BBQ, and you’ll have folks chomping at the bit to know your secret
- A Fresh Twist on a Classic: Love garlic butter or burnt butter? Think of cowboy butter as its wilder, more adventurous cousin. It’s a delightful detour from the usual, packed with unexpected and amazing flavors.
What is Cowboy Butter?
Cowboy Butter Sauce recipe is a zesty, tangy, spicy sauce perfect for adding a kick to grilled meats, veggies, and warm bread. Some even say it rivals garlic butter.
Cowboy butter vs. garlic butter, you ask?
While compound butter recipes are a classic butter topping for a skirt steak, authentic cowboy butter comes with a wild western twist that makes it stand out in a crowd.
After I saw @JortsKitchen | Recipes make this butter, I had to try it out! Thanks for the inspiration brother! 6 tbsp butter 4-5 cloves garlic minced Juice of 1/2 a lemon 1/2 tbsp lemon zest 1 tbsp Dijon mustard 1/2 tsp cayenne 1 tsp paprika 2. Tbsp fresh parsley 1 tbsp chives 1 tsp chili flakes 1 tsp thyme Salt and pepper to taste #steak #steaktok #steakbutter #steaksauce #cowboybutter #butter #compoundbutter #butterrecipe #recipe #steaksaucerecipe #viralsteak #trendingsteak #steaktiktok #fyp #foryou #reels #shorts #foodtok #foodtiktok #tiktokfood #foodie #recipe♬ original sound – ALF’s Kitchen
- quality butter
- minced garlic
- fresh lemon juice and zest
- Dijon mustard
- seasonings and fresh herbs: chives, fresh parsley, red pepper flakes, dried ground thyme, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper.
How to make Cowboy Butter
- Begin with Butter and Garlic: In a skillet, melt unsalted butter over medium-low heat. Toss in the minced garlic and give it a gentle whisk.
- Add the Flavors: As the butter mixture gets all warm and bubbly, stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest, Dijon mustard, all herbs, and remaining spices.
- Heat It: Lower the stove setting to low. Mix the ingredients well until hot.
- Serve with Flair: Pour this cowboy steak butter on your chosen meat and enjoy the magic!
Is cowboy butter spicy?
Well, with red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper, it sure packs a punch!
How long does herb butter last?
Stored in an airtight container, this rodeo butter mixture can last up to a week in the fridge. Just remember that butter will resolidify in the fridge, so melt it back down in a skillet for reuse the same way.
What’s the origin of cowboy butter?
“Cowboy butter” is a flavorful sauce made with melted butter and a combination of herbs, spices, and sometimes citrus. As for its origins, the name suggests a connection to rustic Western cowboy culture.
The idea is that such a sauce would have been an easy and flavorful way to add some zest to grilled meats, especially after a long day of herding cattle or other strenuous activities.
However, pinpointing a specific origin for cowboy butter is challenging.
The name itself might be more of a marketing or branding ploy to convey a rugged or rustic feel than a sauce that cowboys have historically used. There’s no definitive historical record of cowboys in the American West preparing a sauce by this specific name.
It’s worth noting that the concept of infusing butter with herbs and spices isn’t unique to cowboy butter or any particular culture.
Cultures worldwide have been doing this for centuries, whether for bread spreads, sauces for meats, or flavor bases for various dishes. Recently, cowboy butter recipes have been making their rounds on social media platforms like TikTok (foodtok) and Instagram as more generations share new and exciting creations.