Creamy Corn and Crispy Bacon Smothered in Shaved Parmesan is a delicious (and easy!) corn side dish that really dial up the boring into something wonderful.
Growing up we always had a veggie on the side.
Corn with butter, green beans with butter, carrots with butter- you get the idea.
As an adult I try to take those same tried and true “veggie on the side” and dial it up to something more delicious that makes you WANT to eat the side dish first and I think this cast iron creamy corn, smothered in Parmesan and topped with bacon does just that.
As a bonus, this is an easy recipe and doesn’t take much more out of you than you were already spending on dinner time.
Cast Iron Corn with Bacon
Taking frozen corn and combining with a simple creamy base, delicious Parmesan cheese, and cooked crispy bacon, is a delicious easy and complimentary side dish to most meals.
- 24 oz of Frozen Corn (typically 2 bags)
- 6-8 slices of crispy bacon, chopped up
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1 cup whole whipping cream
- 1/2 cup of freshly shaved Parmesan Cheese
- Ground Pepper
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
Cooking with Frozen Corn: Normally when I work with frozen corn, I thaw and drain excess moisture but for this recipe I just worked with the frozen corn. If you prefer to thaw and drain, that is fine too, so either way you are set to move forward.
Stove Top Creamy Parmesan Corn Instructions
First cook up 6-8 slices of delicious thick bacon in your cast iron pan, leaving the bacon grease in your pan.
If you happened to already have bacon made, you can instead substitute for 1 tablespoon of oil in place.
Remove bacon from pan and set aside.
Now add 24 oz of frozen corn (they usually come in 12 oz bag, so 2 bags), along with your chopped white onion, and cook for 10-12 minutes on medium heat until onion begins to saute and corn is warmed up. (lid on pan)
Add in flour and cook an additional 2 minutes.
Dump in whipping cream, sugar, and seasonings and stir.
Combine and cook for 10 minutes.
The creamy base should thicken and corn continue to heat up.
Add 1/2 cup of shaved Parmesan and stir until melted.
Remove from heat, top with cooked, crispy bacon, and serve immediately.
Stove Top Creamy Corn with Parmesan and Bacon
- First cook up 6-8 slices of delicious thick bacon in your cast iron pan, leaving the bacon grease in your pan.
- If you happened to already have bacon made, you can instead substitute the bacon grease for 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in place.
- Once bacon is cooked, remove bacon from pan and set aside.
- Add 24 oz of frozen corn (they usually come in 12 oz bag, so 2 bags), along with your chopped white onion, and cook for 10-12 minutes on medium heat until onion begins to saute and corn is beginning to warm. (lid on pan)
- Add in flour, stir all corn, and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Dump in whipping cream, sugar, and rest of seasonings and stir well.
- Cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- The creamy base should thicken and corn continue to heat up.
- Add 1/2 cup of shaved Parmesan and stir into corn until melted.
- Remove corn from heat, top with cooked, crispy bacon, and serve immediately.
Nutritional Disclaimer: The nutritional data provided here is auto-calculated and intended for your convenience only. As it’s generated via automation, its accuracy may be compromised. For precise nutritional insight, please compute the values utilizing the actual ingredients in your recipe through your chosen nutrition calculator or application.