Did you know that you can make apple crisp without Oats? This simple apple crisp recipe which takes out the need for oats still has a beautiful crisp topping using homemade cinnamon sugar. This melt in your mouth alternative to the classic oat crumble topping will soon become your favorite way to make apple crisp.
Plus, this version with full fresh apples is one of the best things for a scoop of ice cream and some caramel topping.
Nothing says the months of May-July (the best time of year!) like apple pies and Southern fried apples. And I am about to give you another easy recipe to enjoy apples this summer: Apple Crisp.
For the most part apple crisp usually contains Oats, which often make up part of that infamous crumb topping. But the best part about this recipe and why its one of my favorite desserts is that its a warm apple dessert that tastes just like caramel apples and has NO OAT topping.
No Oat Apple Crisp Recipe
In my opinion, apple crisp without oats is one of those apple desserts that tastes a lot like the inside of a classic apple pie. The amazing apple mixture with cinnamon sugar is a really easy apple crisp recipe without oats taking away the true apple taste.
And while I cannot claim that the intense amount of sugar in this recipe defines it as one of the most healthy recipes, who said dessert has to be healthy?
Get full ingredient amounts below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Apples: You can use any kind of apple and there really are a lot of varieties. The type of apples I like to use are Honeycrisp but that choice is yours. That just happens to be my family’s favorite apple kind. Other best apples are golden delicious apples, Pink lady or even the tart Granny Smith apples.
- All purpose flour
- White sugar
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Real Butter (melted, not cold butter)
Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
Prepping Apples: The apple crisp filling is super easy to make but requires a little bit of patience in cutting apples. Make sure apples are peeled and sliced thin and even. Making sure apples are not too thick or uneven with the other slices will ensure even cooking throughout the entire dessert.
Prepping Center Filling
Center filling consists of flour, sugar, baking powder, egg and ground cinnamon. This mixture is spread evenly on top of apple slices.
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
Lastly, the crunchy topping is a simple ground cinnamon sugar mixture that hardens to a nice pastry crunch on top of the apples. While this dessert is pretty sweet in and of itself, its fine to serve with caramel sauce and ice cream as well and makes an amazing addition.
Serving Apple Crisp
Easy Apple Crisp without Oats
- 8 cups apples - peeled and sliced
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- white sugar - divided separately into 1 cup and 1/4th cup
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter - melted
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Peel apples and slice thinly.
- Add sliced apples to a greased 2-1/2 quart baking dish or 9×9 square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- Add egg and continue to mix.
- Mixture texture will be like corn meal.
- Sprinkle flour mixture on top of apples and spread evenly throughout the pan.
- In a separate smaller bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup white sugar and 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon and mix well.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top of flour mixture as topping.
- Drizzle on top of the cinnamon sugar with melted butter.
- Bake apple crisp for 60 minutes.
- Remove dish from oven, let apple crisp stand for 10 minutes to cool until just warm.
- Apple crisp is best served warm and goes great with vanilla ice cream.