Did you know that you can make apple crisp without Oats? This simple apple crisp recipe which takes out the need for oats still has a beautiful crisp topping using homemade cinnamon sugar. This melt-in-your-mouth alternative to the classic oat crumble topping will soon become your favorite way to make apple crisp.
Plus, this version with full fresh apples is one of the best things for a scoop of ice cream and some caramel topping.
There is no doubt that apple makes up some of the most comforting desserts. Chunky homemade applesauce and air-fried cinnamon apples are a delicious way to bring in the summer.
Why you will love this Apple Crisp Recipe
Enjoy seasonal fruit: Nothing says the months of May-July (the best time of year!) like apple pies and Southern fried apples. And I am about to give you another easy recipe to enjoy apples this summer: Apple Crisp.
Easy Variation: For the most part apple crisp usually contains Oats, which often make up part of that infamous crumb topping. But the best part about this recipe and why it’s one of my favorite desserts is that it’s a warm apple dessert that tastes just like caramel apples and has NO OAT topping.
Perfect Topper and Taste: The full taste of golden brown apples (no brown sugar needed) piled high with an optional scoop of vanilla ice cream is about as delicious as it gets all year long.
In my opinion, apple crisp without oats is one of those apple desserts that tastes a lot like the inside of a classic apple pie. The amazing apple mixture with cinnamon sugar takes tart apples or sweeter apples (doesn’t overly matter what type of apple you use) and makes it one of the best and most comforting desserts for fall.
And while I cannot claim that the intense amount of sugar in this recipe defines it as one of the most healthy recipes, who said dessert has to be healthy?
- Apples: You can use any kind of apple and there really are a lot of varieties. The type of apples I like to use are Honeycrisp but that choice of favorite baking apples is yours. That just happens to be my family’s favorite apple kind. Other best apples are golden delicious apples, Pink lady, or even the tart Granny Smith apples.
- All purpose flour
- White granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Real Melted Butter
Steps for an Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
The apple crisp filling is super easy to make but requires a little bit of patience in cutting apples.
Make sure apples are peeled and sliced thin and even.
Making sure apples are not too thick or uneven with the other slices will ensure even cooking throughout the entire dessert.
Prepping Apple Center Filling
The center filling consists of flour, sugar, baking powder, egg, and ground cinnamon.
This mixture is spread evenly on top of apple slices.
Cinnamon Sugar Streusel Topping
Lastly, the crunchy, crumbly topping is a simple ground cinnamon sugar mixture that hardens to a nice pastry crunch on top of the juicy apple center.
While this dessert is pretty sweet in and of itself, it’s fine to serve with caramel sauce and ice cream and makes an amazing addition to flavor.
How to make Apple Crisp without Oats
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Peel apples and slice thinly.
- Add sliced apples to a greased 2-1/2 quart baking dish (prepared baking dish) or 9×9 square casserole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- Add egg and continue to mix. The mixture texture will be like cornmeal.
- Sprinkle flour mixture on top of the apple layer and spread evenly throughout the pan.
- In a separate smaller bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup white sugar and 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon and mix well.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top of the flour mixture as a topping.
- Drizzle top of the cinnamon sugar with melted unsalted butter.
- Bake apple crisp for 60 minutes.
- Remove dish from the oven, let apple crisp stand for 10 minutes to cool until just warm.
- Apple crisp is best served warm and goes great with vanilla ice cream.
Serving Apple Crisp
Apple crisp can be served as a dessert recipe or a sweet breakfast. Because of the sugary topping, this sweet dish goes well with beverages like a cup of Cappuccino or TikTok Dalgona Coffee.
Many times recipes for “apple crumble” include the traditional brown sugar with oats topping. However, this dish can be called apple crisp OR apple crumble.
Common apples used in apple crumble are pink ladies, tart granny smith apples, gala, or honey crisp.
Apples tend to brown after being cooked and the sugar will slowly melt with the moisture in the fridge, so this dessert is best kept tightly sealed for just a day or two.
Caramel apple drizzle, Nutella drizzle, whipped cream topping are all great extra choices. Some people enjoy a bit of crumbled nuts, like candied pecans, as well.
The sheer nature of an apple dessert is that it totally complements Ice cream but it’s also delicious eaten alone.
- Apple Butter
- Homemade Chunky Applesauce
- Cranberry Sauce with Diced Apples
- Snicker Apple Salad
- Pumpkin Pie Dump Cake
- Indulgent Cranberry Sauce
Connect with Us!
If you try this recipe, please leave a review in the comment section – Your review helps others and is appreciated. Ensure you never miss a new side dish recipe by following us on Pinterest and signing up for our recipe email list!
Leave A Reply!