Sausage egg roll in a bowl is a deconstructed egg roll perfect to crunch down on with light Asian flavor and totally guilt free.
Egg Roll in a Bowl with Sausage
Giving up my favorite foods is hard. And by favorite foods I mean things loaded in sugar, chocolate, and chemicals.
But it tastes sooooooooooo good, you know? For the next 30 days I am cracking down on carbs and what better way to enjoy day #4 around here than with crack slaw- or rather sausage egg roll in a bowl.
This recipe is so versatile that you can eat it with any lean meats or simply just enjoy the veggies as is for a fantastic lunch.The best part is that this recipe is low Carb and perfect for dinner or as an egg roll in a bowl side dish!
Plus, this recipe is done in only 20 minutes and there are many easy alternatives to fit varying diets makes this a go to main dish, side dish, or any time dish meal.
When it come to proteins, feel free to substitute with any protein:
- ground turkey
- spicy breakfast sausage
- ground chicken
- ground sirloin
Loaded with spices that make this dish about as non-boring as it comes and lots of veggies you can feel good about, this Low Carb Sausage Egg Roll in a Bowl is an easy recipe that takes no time at all to make.
Egg Roll in a Bowl
Love Chinese food but want to enjoy it without loads of fried and carbs?
Its so easy to take all the delicious insides and deconstruct the egg roll for an on point low carb way to enjoy an entire “Egg roll in a bowl” guilt free.
The best part really is biting into the cabbage and seasonings and now every bite can be satisfying and savory.
Scroll to the bottom for a printable version of this post, including all measurements and instructions, so you can follow along in your kitchen without being on your phone.
Here is what ingredients you need to gather to get started:
- ground sausage
- diced onion
- minced garlic
- soy sauce
- ground ginger
- fresh mushrooms
- matchstick carrots
- water chestnuts
Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
While this recipe is indeed low carb, it is not considered Keto.
That being said, with a few small ingredient changes, you can definitely turn this into a Keto egg roll in a bowl.
- First, I used match stick carrots in this recipe which are typically a no go for strict keto diets. That being said, I am not about to demonize carrots here as they can still be eaten in limited moderation like this egg roll in a bowl recipe.
- Second, water nut chestnuts are considered a starchy vegetable and should be removed if you are on KETO.
- Soy Sauce can be a no no in recipes for Keto because while its a low carb sauce (only about .8 carbs in a tablespoon), its considered an inflammatory ingredient
- Cabbage and Mushrooms are both fine for KETO diets
Low Carb Sausage Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe
In a large skillet, add sausage, onion and garlic and heat on medium high, stirring frequently until meat is browned.
Reduce heat to medium low and add soy sauce, ginger, oil, cabbage, carrots, mushrooms and water chestnuts.
Stir well and continue to cook until cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes.
(If your cabbage is not wilting down, add the lid on your pot for the final 5 minutes!)
Serve in a bowl and with some chopsticks if you are feeling playful!
Ingredient Variations to Egg Roll In a Bowl
This is certainly a recipe you can make your own!
Try adding one of the following ingredient variations to mix it up:
- Chopped Green Onions – Chopped green onions bring color and flavor
- Sriracha or Hot Sauce – Delicious sauces are not only pretty, but can up the spice
- Scrambled Egg – Need some protein? Eggs are a perfect choice!
- Using a Coleslaw Mix or Broccoli slaw over just plain Cabbage and Carrots
- Sesame Seeds
OTHER LOW CARB RECIPES
- ALMOND FLOUR “FRIED” ZUCCHINI SLICES
- STUFFED MUSHROOMS WITH CREAM CHEESE RECIPE
- ULTIMATE LOADED KETO CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE
- PIMENTO CHEESE DIP
- KETO LOADED RICED CAULIFLOWER
- CAULIFLOWER AU GRATIN
- CAULIFLOWER MASHED POTATOES
- HOMEMADE SPINACH CASSEROLE
- KETO FRIED RICE
If you made this recipe and loved it or had an alteration that worked out great, please let me know in the comments!
Low Carb Sausage Egg Roll In a Bowl Side Dish Recipe
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 head cabbage - shredded
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms - sliced
- 1 can - 8 ounces, water chestnuts, drained
- In a large skillet, add sausage, onion and garlic and heat on medium high, stirring frequently until meat is browned.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add soy sauce, ginger, oil, cabbage, carrots, mushrooms and water chestnuts.
- Stir well and continue to cook until cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes. (If your cabbage is not wilting down, add the lid on your pot for the final 5 minutes!)
- Serve egg roll in a bowl.