Sausage egg roll in a bowl is a deconstructed egg roll perfect to crunch down on with light Asian flavor and totally guilt-free.
This egg roll side dish takes on new textures completely unstuffed and totally low carb. Together in just about 15-20 minutes, this dish is a perfectly healthy way to enjoy a homemade lunch with very little fuss.
Why you will love this inside out Traditional Egg Roll
Great Lunch or Side Dish: This recipe is so versatile that you can eat it with any lean meats or simply just enjoy the veggies as-is for a fantastic lunch. The best part is that this recipe is low carb and perfect for dinner or as an egg roll in a bowl side dish!
Super Quick: Plus, this recipe is done in only 20 minutes and there are many easy alternatives to fit varying diets makes this a go-to main dish, side dish, or any time dish meal.
Incredible Flavor: Loaded with spices that make this dish about as non-boring as it comes and lots of veggies you can feel good about, this Low Carb Sausage Egg Roll in a Bowl is an easy recipe that takes no time at all to make.
- ground pork sausage or ground beef
- diced onion
- minced garlic or cloves garlic
- soy sauce
- fresh ground ginger
- vegetable oil
- green cabbage (shredded cabbage)
- fresh mushrooms
- matchstick carrots (shredded carrots)
- water chestnuts
What kind of frying oil can be used?
There is only a tablespoon of oil in this recipe because you are not deep frying. I personally use vegetable oil because the taste is complementary to this dish, but it is fine to use olive oil or coconut oil if you prefer the flavor. These ingredients are typically not found in the Asian food aisle, however.
How to make a Deconstructed Egg Roll
Love Chinese food but want to enjoy it without loads of fried and carbs? It’s so easy to take all the delicious insides and deconstruct the egg roll for an on-point low carb way to enjoy an entire “Egg roll in a bowl” guilt-free. The best part really is biting into the cabbage and seasonings and now every bite can be satisfying and savory.
- In a large skillet, add sausage, onion and garlic and heat on medium high, stirring frequently until meat is browned. Drain an excess grease.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add soy sauce, teaspoon ground ginger, and frying oil.
- Now add shredded cabbage, matchstick carrots, sliced mushrooms and drained water chestnuts.Stir well and continue to cook until cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes.(If cabbage is not wilting down, add the lid on your pot for the final 5 minutes!)
- Combine and add to a serving bowl. Now you have all the fresh flavor of a traditional egg roll, without the egg roll wrapper, in a delicious egg roll filling bowl!
Is this recipe Keto Friendly?
While this recipe is indeed low carb, it is not considered approved for Keto.
That being said, with a few small ingredient changes, you can definitely turn this into a Keto egg roll in a bowl.
- First, I used match stick carrots in this recipe which are typically a no go for strict keto diets. That being said, I am not about to demonize carrots here as they can still be eaten in limited moderation like this egg roll in a bowl recipe.
- Second, water nut chestnuts are considered a starchy vegetable and should be removed if you are on KETO.
- Soy Sauce can be a no no in recipes for Keto because while its a low carb sauce (only about .8 carbs in a tablespoon), its considered an inflammatory ingredient.
Recipe Variations & Flavor Tips
Try adding one of the following ingredient variations to mix up this healthy dinner. Remember that any change you make in addition could have a nutritional value change that may no longer be considered part of a low-carb meal plan.
- Chopped Green Onions – Chopped green onions bring color and flavor.
- Sriracha, Hot Sauce or Pepper flakes – Delicious sauces are not only pretty, but can up the spice.
- Scrambled Egg – Need some protein? Eggs are a perfect choice!
- Wonton Strips – If you are like me and love a bit of crunchiness to your recipes, try pre-made crispy wonton strips or tortilla strips. To make homemade ones, simply strip down wonton wrappers and oil fry them.
- Using a Coleslaw Mix or Broccoli slaw over just plain Cabbage and Carrots.
- Sesame Seeds or toasted sesame oil
- Mix up the spice: Try Five-Spice, a teaspoon of garlic powder, additional soy sauce, rice wine vinegar – there really are a ton of flavors that can help make it your own. Additionally, salt and black pepper are just a nice seasoning balance without changing up any Asian flavors in the beloved egg roll bowl.
- Add noodles or rice – Use regular rice or sticky jasmine rice as a great filler. Noodles that work well are lo mein, ramen or rice noodles.
- Nuts: Nuts are often used in Asian inspired meals. We recommend cashews or peanuts.
Does egg roll in a bowl actually have an egg?
Ironically, even with its namesake, there are no eggs in egg roll in a bowl. Egg rolls are made with egg roll WRAPPERS which account for its name. In the inside-out version, there is neither eggs nor an egg roll wrapper. All that said, I love eggs in my Asian-inspired cuisine and there is nothing wrong with adding some. What kind of meat goes well with Egg Roll in a bowl?
When it comes to proteins, feel free to substitute with any protein:
- ground turkey
- spicy breakfast sausage
- ground chicken
- ground sirloin
Can this dish be pre-made?
Yes! Egg roll in a bowl heats up fairly well as long as you do not add extras like rice (Which easily dry out). This recipe can be placed in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
What to serve with an egg roll in a bowl?
This recipe is a whole package meal. There really isn’t a need to serve additional side dishes (did we say that??) but Asian salads or broth soups are a great pre-meal appetizer if you imagine yourself needing a bit more sustenance. Additionally, if not on keto or low carb, we always love a great no-fail fried rice recipe, or if you are, this low carb fried rice made with cauliflower is an amazing option. For a drink, try hot tea.
- Asian Green Beans
- Ninja Foodi Rice
- Beef Cabbage Soup
- Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions
- Mandarin Chicken Pasta
- General Tso’s Chicken
Connect with Us!