In about 30 minutes or less, crushed Oreos combined with cream cheese and dipped in chocolate make the best no bake Oreo treat ever! So easy to make, these little goodies are a fantastic choice as a holiday dessert. Once dipped into rich delicious and melty chocolate, the soft cookie centers stay moist and perfect for weeks, making this Oreo Truffles recipe an obvious choice for holiday food and office gifting as well.
Why you will love this recipe
No-Bake: Chances are you are making these for a party or holiday reason, and time is always somewhat of an issue when it comes to serving a crowd. These Oreo balls need no baking time. Simply mix and set. They can be ready to enjoy very quickly making a great last-minute dessert idea.
Holiday Friendly: These Oreo truffles are dressed up for the Christmas holiday by simply adding Christmas sprinkles, but you can also alter this to create mint truffles, peppermint truffles, or really any kind of topping!
Mix up the melting chocolate: Personally, I used milk chocolate on the truffle, but there are a variety of other types of melting chocolates. You can also use white or plain melting chocolate and add flavor drops that come in a variety of awesome flavors like Gingerbread or Candy Cane.
Scroll to the bottom for a printable version of this post, including all measurements and instructions, so you can follow along in your kitchen without being on your phone.
- cream cheese – make sure brick cream cheese is softened prior to make easier mixing. This can be achieved by opening cream cheese container and letting sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes prior to starting truffles. It is not best to microwave to soft.
- golden Oreos – This particular no bake recipe uses Golden Oreos, which are a rich delicious yellow Oreo cookie outside of the classic regular Oreo’s. Oreo is great at putting out flavors that match the time of the year, so this recipe can be used with any of their cookie flavors.
- vanilla extract
- melting chocolate – You can use any type of baking chocolate, almond bark or melting chocolate to dip balls into. Additionally, if you use white almond bark, it can be a great way to use food coloring to dye for seasonal and holiday colors.
- Christmas sprinkles
How to make Golden Oreo Truffle Balls
- Add cookies to a food processor and process for 10 seconds until fine cookie crumbs form.
- Add cream cheese and vanilla and process for an additional 10 seconds until dough turns into a ball.
- Use a tablespoon size portion scoop (or a cookie scoop) to gather dough into balls. Shape with hands to smooth.
- Important tip: FREEZE YOUR OREO BALLS BEFORE THE NEXT STEP. Pop them into the freezer for 30 minutes to firm up the dough or it will flake when you dip.
How to Melt chocolate
1. How to melt in the Microwave: Melt chocolate chips in a microwave-safe glass measuring cup using 40-second increments. Stir after each interval. Microwave times may vary depending upon the brand/type of chocolate. The goal here is to get the chocolate melted without burning it. It’s important to stir frequently during microwaving. If your melting chocolate is too thick, you can add 1/2 tsp of oil to thin it up. (Do not go overboard, or it gets too runny)
2. How to melt in a Melting Chocolate Machine: A sure-fire way to get perfect chocolate is to use a chocolate melting machine. It does take time to slowly melt the chocolate down so it’s best to plug this in and get it going before you start making the cookie balls. This is the one we own.
3. How to melt in a Double Boiler: There are actual 2 piece double boilers- and here is what they look like. However, if you do not have one, simply fill a saucepan with about 2 inches of hot tap water. Place a heat-safe mixing bowl inside the larger saucepan so the bowl is edge to edge, sitting at the rim level and trapping heat between the saucepan and bowl. The bottom of the smaller saucepan should never touch the bottom of the pan it’s sitting in. Add chocolate pieces to the bowl. Turn on heat to medium and let steam slowly melt the chocolate in the bowl. This method lets the steam (not direct heat) heat up the chocolate. Make sure to stir as it’s melting.
How to Coat Oreo Truffles with Chocolate
- Add melting chocolate or baking chocolate to a medium sized microwave safe bowl.
- Melt chocolate as noted above.
- Dip bite sized balls into warm chocolate and toss to coat. Let excess chocolate drip off.
- Place onto a cutting board or sheet pan lined with wax paper. If adding sugar or sprinkles, add while chocolate is still wet. Continue until all truffles are made. Place in freezer to harden.
Expert Truffle Tips
- I usually coat my truffles in chocolate with a spoon and then remove them from the bowl with a fork, scraping the melty chocolate off the bottom.
- Worried about melting the chocolate? This melting chocolate machine takes the worry right out and keeps your chocolate at a PERFECT temperature.
- Clear out freezer for a baking sheet because these no bake balls need some time in the freezer to set. Cover baking sheet with parchment paper. If you do not have a cookie sheet that works well for your freezer size, alternatively use a cutting board, serving tray or large plate.
How to decorate No Bake Oreo Balls
There are many ways to decorate these treats. The warm melting chocolate helps a variety of toppings stick to the truffle ball, which not only mix up the flavors but also make them LOOK super cute and appetizing.
Sprinkles – Sprinkles are an obvious choice when it comes to decorating. There are a ton of holiday sprinkles and you can pick up seasonal ones at most stores. Just pick the ones that you like the most as we did here!
Sugar – Fine colored sugar works great on white dipped chocolate. We have tested colored sugars on the chocolate dipped, but some can be harder to see and work best with light coatings.
Chocolate Drizzle – Melt down a bit of chocolate (in a contrasting color) and add to a gallon sized baggie or spoon. Drizzle over top of truffle to make little stripes.
Crumbles – Finely ground cookie crumbles in the same Oreo cookie you used or other flavor profiles are delicious. Graham crackers can also make a great choice for decorating.
How to store Oreo Balls
Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for storing.
They should last 2 weeks in the fridge if stored properly or freeze up to 2 months.
What types of Oreo Cookies are there?
Here are just a few Oreo cookie flavors that would make amazing no-bake truffles. Remember that availability will depend on your area and the season. Oreo flavors change often!
- Double Stuff Oreos
- Peanut Butter Cookie Oreos
- Salted Caramel Brownie
- Red Velvet Oreos – Great for Christmas
- Pumpkin Spice Oreos – Great for Thanksgiving
- Cinnamon Roll Oreos
- Mint Oreos – Great for Christmas
- Caramel Coconut
- Candy Cane Oreos – Great for Christmas
- Birthday Cake Oreos
- Air Fryer Oreo Beignets
- Oreo Mug Cake
- Oreo Ice Box Cake
- Tanghulu Strawberries
- Red Velvet Cake Balls
- Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Disney Copycat The Grey Stuff with Oreo’s
Connect with Us!
Golden Oreo Truffles NO BAKE
- 4 ounces cream cheese - softened
- 16 golden oreos
- 1 teaspoon vanilla - Optional
- 4 ounces chocolate
- Christmas sprinkles
- Add cookies to a food processor and process for 10 seconds until fine crumbs form. Add softened cream cheese and vanilla extract. Process for an additional 10 seconds until dough turns into a ball.
- Set out a baking sheet with parchment paper. Check to make sure baking sheet will fit in freezer and make space. Use a ta
- Use a tablespoon-size portion scoop (or cookie scoop) to measure dough into balls and shape with hands to smooth.
- Freeze Oreo Truffles for 30 minutes to harden and firm dough before going to the chocolate step.
- Microwave chocolate for 90 seconds at 50% power, stirring every 15-20 seconds until melted. Other melting methods below. If your chocolate is too thick, add a tiny amount (1/2 tsp) to your chocolate and mix until smooth.
- Dip balls into dipping chocolate and toss to coat. Let excess chocolate drip off. Place balls onto lined baking sheet and continue till all are done.
- Sprinkle truffles with decorate sprinkles while still wet.
- Freeze oreo truffles to harden chocolate, approx 20 minutes.
- Keep stored in air tight container in fridge. Tuffles should keep up to 2 weeks in fridge or 2 months in freezer.
- Clear out the freezer for a baking sheet because these no-bake balls need some time in the freezer to set. Cover baking sheet with parchment paper. If you do not have a cookie sheet that works well for your freezer size, alternatively use a cutting board, serving tray, or large plate.
- I usually coat my truffles in chocolate with a spoon and then remove them from the bowl with a fork, scraping the chocolate off the bottom.
- Sprinkle on holiday sprinkles or sugar on truffles before melted chocolate is set.