Want to turn your fresh green beans into green bean casserole? Look no further. Simple, easy to follow recipe for fresh green bean casserole including French’s fried onions and cream of mushroom soup – coming right up!
Recipe for Fresh Green Bean Casserole
When I write recipes I try to include step by step instructions to help people that need additional visual reassurance, but if you are short on time and want the straight recipe, head to the bottom of the page for a condensed, easy to read and follow along (and print!) version of this recipe.
- 3 lbs fresh green beans, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 can, 10.5 oz, cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 can, 6 oz, french fried onions, divided
- salt and pepper
RELATED ALTERATIONS FOR GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
Green Bean Casserole in a Slow Cooker – no need to really make green bean casserole the night before if you use a slow cooker. You wont need an oven or a stove top, dump your ingredients (using frozen green beans for ease) and pop on low for 5 hours. This is a great side dish to make at the same time as your turkey so it all ends at the same time and a slow cooker helps this recipe stay good and warm.
Green Bean Casserole from Scratch – This green bean casserole recipes scratches the canned condensed soups and opts for fresh mushrooms, chicken broth and whole whipping cream for my favorite way to make this classic side. This recipe needs around 15 minutes or preparation and you could easily cover and store for the next day before adding some French’s, popping in the oven to warm and finish.
How to Make Fresh Green Bean Casserole with Mushroom Soup
Fresh Green Bean Casserole with Fresh Green Beans
- 3 lbs fresh green beans - cut into 1" pieces
- 1 can - 10.5 oz, cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese - divided
- 1 can - 6 oz, french fried onions, divided
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add green beans to a steamer basket and boil for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Add green beans to a large mixing bowl, stir in cream of mushroom soup, 1 cup of cheese and half of the french friend onions. Mix well.
- Season entire dish with salt and pepper.
- Add green bean casserole into prepared casserole dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Top casserole with remaining cheddar cheese and the rest of the fried onions and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.