This TikTok Twisted Bacon recipe is a viral sensation for a good reason.
With totally crunchy bacon perfection and delicious chewy soft bacon on the inside, this is hands down the best and most enjoyable bacon method in a long time. Just like sausage hash brown casserole, bacon is everyone’s most favorite breakfast food and soon will be yours as well!
Incredibly easy, this no-fail bacon is a perfect combination for a new TWIST on bacon.
Why you will love TikTok Twisted Bacon Strips
Great for all bacon recipes: First of all, bacon slices in any form are amazing. This awesome viral TikTok for twisted bacon gives you a great way to grab and go. Twisted bacon is the perfect way to enjoy on a salad, as a side dish, in Bloody Marys, a breakfast that is great for on the go (like a bus stop) and leads to a super juicy, crunchy bacon piece.
Perfect texture: Changing how loose or tight the bacon is rolled can instantly alter the texture. Test out different curls depending on your bacon preference.
Testing out the food trend: We are big on testing out perfect viral food trends here and it is just as fun and inspiring in your own kitchen! This TikTok twisted bacon was first shared on House of Keto and we encourage you to watch the original video and follow her there.
- One package, 12-16 oz, uncooked bacon
How to Make Twisted Bacon
Preheat the oven to 400.
- Twist a slice of bacon and place it onto a large rimmed baking sheet. To twist bacon, take a single piece of bacon and hold onto one end firmly. Using the other hand, twist the bacon into a tight spiral. These tighter twists really make a difference when baking.
- Place onto a baking sheet. Repeat until all pieces of bacon are twisted and on the baking sheet and the entire pack is used. Bacon can be set side by side but do not overlap or stack.
- Bake for 24-28 minutes or until crispy.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and use a metal spatula to loosen the cooked bacon from the pan. Drain bacon twist on a plate lined with a paper towel to rid of excess bacon grease. Serve the bacon straw immediately.
Expert Rolled Bacon Tips
- Bacon continues to harden as it is removed from heat, so once it’s out of the oven or air fryer, remember that it will begin to lose some of the greases and firm up. Depending on the kind of bacon you personally enjoy, this may mean adjusting time appropriately.
- Lucky for all of us, there are plenty of bacon options out there. You can easily use turkey bacon in this twisted bacon recipe, but it usually needs an adjusted cooking time backward a few minutes. Start checking around 20 minutes for the desired doneness.
- If you prefer easy clean-up, it is fine to add a piece of parchment paper to the baking sheet.
- No need to stretch and twist. Simply hold bacon with one hand, twist tightly, and place on sheet.
- The slight chewiness is perfect as a breakfast favorite, to add to an appetizer charcuterie board, or to enjoy as a keto-friendly snack.
- Bacon twirls can sit next to each other but not ON each other.
Can TikTok Twisted Bacon be air-fried?
Absolutely! Twisted bacon cuts time right down in the air fryer like a Ninja Foodi. However, there is less room to spread bacon out in the air fryer, so if you need a lot of bacon made, you will need to make it in several batches.
Complete the same process by twisting (not pulling, just twisting) bacon and placing in the air fryer basket. Do not overlap bacon. Set air fryer to 400 degrees and cook between 8-12 minutes, adjusting for the thickness of the bacon.
Once the bacon is cooked, remove with tongs. Let the air fryer basket cool and grease to solidify, and then wipe out with a paper towel.
Ninja Foodi Trick: One trick I share with my audience on how to soak up grease in the pot.
- Prep the air fryer by adding a piece of uncooked bread underneath the air fryer basket but inside the pressure cooker basket. See the Ninja Foodi Bacon article, for example. This helps soak up the bacon grease as it drops from the Air Fryer pan. If you are using an Instant Pot instead of a Ninja Foodi, you can still use this method.
What types of bacon are there?
Bacon comes in different varieties:
- Smoked – Smoky flavor from smoking process. Usually thicker than other kinds of bacon.
- Dry Cured – Dry cured bacon usually contains salt and nitrates/nitrites. These ingredients help preserve the meat by preventing bacteria growth. They also give the bacon a distinctive taste.
- Sugar cured – Sugar cured bacon is cooked then coated in a mixture of sugar and spices before drying.
- Lardons – Lardon is a French term used to describe small pieces of bacon cut from larger strips.
- Honey smoked – Honey smoked bacon is prepared using honey instead of water during cooking.
- Maple flavored – Maple flavored bacon is prepared using pure maple extract rather than water.
- Chili Pepper Bacon – Chili pepper bacon is prepared using hot peppers such as habaneros, serranos, etc.
- Garlic Herb Bacon – Garlic herb bacon is prepared using herbs along with garlic powder.
- Jalapeño Bacon – Jalapeño bacon is prepared using jalapeños along with seasonings.
- Spicy Sausage Bacon – Spicy sausage bacon is prepared using spicy sausages.
What kind of bacon should I use?
In our case, we used regular cut bacon which gave the perfect combination of stick-like crispiness. If you use thick-cut bacon, the time may need to be adjusted per package of bacon.
The type of bacon and the thickness of bacon (as well as personal preference of texture) can all result in removing a few minutes earlier or cooking a few minutes longer.
Bacon can also be cooked with extra flavors like pepper for spicy bacon.
The best thing about bacon is that it lasts forever. It’s delicious at room temperature too. Just store in an air-tight container. You can keep your bacon-wrapped tightly in plastic wrap in the fridge for several days. Just don’t forget to unwrap before eating.
Mainly using a cookie sheet with aluminum foil or a cookie sheet with parchment paper has very little to do with the cooking aspect and more to do with excess grease. People typically use those to make cleaning up easier.
Personally, we do not believe cleaning up a sheet pan is complicated so we use it as is, let grease solidify, and scrape off into the trash. I try not to use excess items if not completely necessary for monetary and environmental reasons.
There are many things that should never be dumped down a garbage disposal. Grease is at the very top of the list. It causes serious clogs and can completely destroy the system causing back-ups. Bacon grease can either be stored in a mason jar for additional use or wiped up and thrown out in the trash.
Chewy or Crunchy Bacon?
Twisted bacon is interesting because the outer shell of the bacon crisps up, but the inner twisted part stays softer.
Super tight twists equal a crispier stick, which would be ideal for adult beverages and crunching over a salad in little bacon bits. Tight twists do not allow as much of the center of the bacon to crisp.
Looser twirls equal tender insides and crunchy outsides, making perfect bacon for biting into. This is because the airflow is looser in the center.
Twisted Bacon Recipe Variations
- There has long since been a sentiment that bacon on its own is the perfect food or snack. I can’t argue with that sentiment, but bacon can also be easily seasoned.
- For some spice, try covering bacon first with a dash of cayenne pepper, fresh ground black pepper, or garlic.
- If looking for a bit of sweeter bacon, try brown sugar, maple syrup, or a honey glaze, all that is baste on about 5 minutes before the bacon is pulled out of the oven.
- Another great way to enjoy is to try jalapeno bacon, garlic-herb bacon, chili-cayenne bacon, or even bagel seasoning. The key to most recipes is simply to experiment and enjoy!
Related TikTok Recipes
- One of the most popular viral recipes of all time, if you haven’t tried this recipe – its a must: Baked Feta Pasta
- Get in on the TikTok Tortilla Trend and fold a sandwich like never before!
- TikTok Whipped Coffee is one of the best ways to make Starbucks quality drinks without the $4 price tag!
- If you want the hit without the calories, this TikTok Dr. Pepper Recipe has become quite a topic of conversation. Love these choices? Try Healthy Coke too!
- Very pretty (but not as tasty), this TikTok Cloud Bread Recipe will delight your senses. Just don’t expect to EAT it.
- Marshmallow dip move over; this TikTok Booty Dip Recipe will be at every party the rest of the year.
- TikTok Pasta Chips are not quite chips and not quite pasta.
- Spawning many other amazing recipes TikTok Whipped Olive Feta Dip is one of my very favorite appetizer recipes.
- TikTok Garlic Parmesan Pizza Rolls were a surprise to our family this year. These little bites of goodness are the best after-school and movie snack EVER.
Connect with Us!