This classic, homemade Green Bean Casserole is an upgrade for your cans of soup – it only takes 10 minutes to create a delicious cream and mushroom base to go with your french style greens and crunch fried onions. Can you say perfection?
Homemade Green Bean Casserole
Campbell’s, French’s, even Paula Dean and the good ole’ Pioneer woman all have a special take on green bean casserole.
But did you know that you can skip the canned soup and still make a delicious, homemade, and just as quick green bean casserole from scratch?
I love this side dish recipe because its so simple and difficult to mess up, making it the perfect dish for the entire family to get involved in.
But don’t let its simple ingredients fool you!
Full of flavor and easy to customize with fresh mushrooms and roasted onions, some traditional recipes, like this one, are worth making year after year.
This recipe is savory and also heats up well, making it a perfect left over that tastes the same the next day.
Green Bean Casserole with French Style Green Beans
Now if you have never learned how to make green bean casserole, I am going to save you on delicious no fail classic recipe that is homemade.
Scroll to the bottom for a printable version of this post, including all measurements and instructions, so you can follow along in your kitchen without being on your phone.
Here is what ingredients you need to gather to get started:
- chicken broth
- whole whipping cream
- black pepper
- fresh mushrooms
- french fried onions
- french style frozen green beans, thawed
RELATED RECIPES: Instant Pot Fresh Green Beans, 3 Bean Salad, Southern Style Green beans and Bacon, Green Beans Almondine over Stove Top, Keto Green Beans with Cream Cheese, Simple Seasoned Green Beans, Green Beans and Potatoes
Is Green Bean Casserole Low Carb?
Disclaimer: Dietary information provided by Carb Manager. If you are on a KETO or Low Carb diet, always make sure to double check your own information with this or My Fitness Pal based on the brands and weights you use. I am not responsible for the calculations but do try to provide as much information as possible for readers to make informed decisions.
If you are on a cell phone and this is hard to see, simply pinch and go closer.
No Soup Green Bean Casserole Recipe
Preheat oven to 400 and grease a casserole dish. Set aside.
It’s totally easy to make green bean casserole with cream of onion or cream of mushroom soup but its also totally unnecessary!
No need to run to the store to see what you have on hand when you can combine delicious fresh (or frozen) green beans in your own marinade of sauce this season.
Add butter and garlic in a skillet and heat on medium until butter is melted.
Stir in flour, chicken broth, whipping, salt and pepper – this makes a roux.
Cook on medium heat, whisking frequently.
Continue to whisk as mixture gets bubbly and begins to thicken.
Remove from heat and stir in mushrooms, 1/2 cup French fried onions and green beans.
Pour green bean mixture into prepared pan and spread evenly.
Sprinkle top with remaining french fried onions.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.
Let set for 5 minutes before serving.
Green Bean Casserole Variations
This casserole can easily be made with and without mushrooms.
You could also use canned. You can use whole, cut frozen green beans as well.
You could also technically just add the onions on the cast iron pan and toss it in to the oven.
But I don’t think serving the skillet is that amazing, especially since you typically make this for holiday meals.
Green Bean Casserole from Scratch
- Preheat oven to 400 and grease a casserole dish. Set aside.
- Add butter and garlic in a skillet and heat on medium until butter is melted.
- Stir in flour, chicken broth, whole whipping cream, salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium heat, whisking frequently.
- Continue to whisk as mixture gets bubbly and begins to thicken - this takes about 8 minutes. You can turn your stove up or down depending on how fast its thickening.
- Remove from heat and stir in fresh mushrooms, 1/2 cup French fried onions and (frozen but defrosted) French Style Green beans.
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Pour green bean mixture into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with remaining french friend onions on the top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.
- Let set for 5 minutes before serving.
- Note on the casserole dish - I have dishes that go from the stove to the oven and that is the best way to handle this casserole. However, if you do not have that, simply use a pan for the first part of the recipe and transfer to a prepared casserole dish before baking.
- You can find french style green beans in the frozen section of the store- just leave the bag in the fridge for a few hours to defrost naturally and drain any excess water.
- In my store they sell 3.5 oz bags of French Fried Onions - I usually grab two and pour one in the mix and one for the topping.