Classic green bean casserole recipe translated into a simple and easy slow cooker dish for busy holiday kitchens. Just use frozen green beans and soups to make the taste from grandmas house you always remember! A must have side for your plate this season with a lot less work.
Holiday times are simultaneously my favorite and my least favorite time of the year. I love challenging myself for new nontraditional side dishes like cast iron spinach and also lean heavily on old family favorites like Watergate Salad and Ambrosia salad. I think one of the biggest issues for me when it comes to baking and cooking is limited space. This is why crock pots and slow cookers are so important to the holiday eating season.
Once the turkey is in, the oven seems to be filled for a good part of the day, so I always line my counter with slow cookers and my stove with skillets and do what I can.
Because green bean casserole CANNOT be skipped at Thanksgiving time, this is a simple and easy slow cooker green bean casserole that should help if your oven is already full. This recipe will taste like your old favorite but can be put on early in the morning and done when your other sides are done. Plus, slow cookers keep food warm and everyone loves that.
If you are wanting to skip the soup and do a really truly homemade green bean casserole, you cannot go wrong with this recipe instead: From Scratch Green Beans (without canned soup) – Its my very favorite way to make green beans.
Slow Cooked Green Bean Casserole
Short on time? You can find a condensed version that is easy to print at the bottom of the page, laying out all you need to know. Or simply scroll down and look through the images and step by step instructions in the recipe post.
- 2 bags, 16 oz each, frozen cut green beans (keep frozen)
- 1 can, 10.5 oz, Campbell cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can, 10.5 oz, Campbell cream of chicken soup
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 container, 6 oz, french fried onions, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
RELATED GREEN BEAN RECIPES: Crock pot Ham, Fresh Green Beans, and Potatoes, Cream Cheese Green Beans, Green Bean Salad with Feta
Green Bean Casserole for Thanksgiving
Grease a 6 quart slow cooker insert with nonstick cooking spray.
Add green beans, soup, milk, cheese, Worcestershire sauce, half a container of French fried onions and salt and pepper and mix well.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and set the slow cooker to low for 5-6 hours.
Top with remaining French fried onions before serving.
Alternative Topping for Green Bean Casserole
Everyone loves good old French’s Fried Onions! But in a pinch, there are many other alternative options that work great.
- Crusted up Croutons
- Ritz Cracker Topping
- Italian Bread Crumbs
- Crushed chips like Fritos
More Must Have Thanksgiving Side Dishes
Side dishes at holiday times do not stop at green beans! Here are some of my other super favorite ways to enjoy food around the table at big holiday gatherings:
- Creamy Corn and Bacon – This is an oven based skillet side dish with bits of bacon and delicious Parmesan Corn
- Roasted Carrots – Roasted Carrots make for a bright and beautiful dish that puts the focus right on the veggie. A perfect holiday side!
- Southern Style Green Beans and Bacon – Have fresh green beans? This dish is for you! Perfectly seasoned green beans with bacon that leave this veggie tender crisp.
- Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad – The great thing about pasta salads is that they provide so much flavor and filling in a tiny bite! Make this one ahead and munch all day.
- Sausage and Cranberry Stuffing – Stuffing as a side is a totally traditional recipe to eat, but try stuffing flavored up with dried cranberries for a sweet taste of fall.
Leave A Reply!