Easy funnel cake recipe, a made from scratch funnel cake mix favorite, brings you right back to the fair. Whip up your own delicious at home funnel cake (fried dough dusted in powdered sugar) in under 10 minutes with just a few ingredients you probably have in your pantry right now!
Get ready to lick your fingers clean!
Funnel cakes are exactly what you think of when you get to go to fall carnival or fair. In fact, they may be the ONLY reason I go to the fair.
Funnel cake is the ultimate fried food covered in delicious powdered sugar… I mean how can funnel cake not be amazing!
The batter/cake is not overly sweet, the sweetness comes with the powdered sugar and all the toppings.
The best part is this easy funnel cake recipe only takes about 5 minutes to whip up and cooking is about 5-6 minutes per batch, making this one something you can decide and make in minutes.
County Fair Funnel Cake Recipe
Maybe not the side dish you are used to, but the side of my fall favorite plate, this funnel cake recipe is so simple you can set aside the box and whip up perfection on your own.
Scroll to the bottom for a printable version of this post, including all measurements and instructions, so you can follow along in your kitchen without being on your phone.
Here is what you need to gather to get started:
- vegetable oil
- white sugar
- baking powder
- 1 egg
- powdered sugar
Can I use a boxed mix to make funnel cake?
I get asked a lot if you can use pancake mix. You can easily substitute your homemade from scratch funnel cakes with a complete pancake mix,the kind that you just mix with water, or even try out this waffle recipe to see if its a good fit!
Making Funnel Cake Tips:
- I used a skillet and filled it about 2″ with oil. I’d recommend you have at least a large container (48oz) of vegetable oil on hand for these.
- I used an 18″ pastry bag. You can use a gallon size ziplock bag, but I recommend a freezer bag as it’s much more durable and the seam will (hopefully) not break open.
- You could use this recipe in a fryer if you wanted
Dietary Considerations: Sorry guys…this one is not low carb or KETO friendly. Whomp, whomp. But if you close your eyes, you can imagine it’s kale, right?
How to make Funnel Cake
Place oil in a skillet and heat until hot.
Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a medium mixing bowl.
In a separate smaller bowl, mix milk and egg, beating well.
Add wet funnel cake ingredients to dry and mix well.
Place cake batter into a large pastry bag and snip the tip.
Pipe batter into the hot oil in looping shapes.
It needs to be thick enough that it doesn’t cook too fast and has time to spread into fried shapes.
Cook funnel cake on each side about 3 minutes, flipping halfway thorough.
Drain and let set funnel cakes sit on a plate with paper towels.
Serve your homemade funnel cakes with warm dusted with powdered sugar.
Makes 6 (about the size of the palm of an adult hand)
Funnel Cake Toppings
Jazzing up funnel cakes is half the fun when you make them at home!
Here are a few ideas on what to top yours with:
- Chocolate Chips
- Hershey’s Syrup
- Marshmallow Fluff
- Fruit from a can (canned pie fillings)
- Whipped cream
- Cinnamon and Sugar
- Oven baked candied pecans
- Crockpot candied pecans
Easy Funnel Cake Printable Recipe
- vegetable oil
- 1-1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- powdered sugar
- Place oil in a skillet and heat until hot.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a medium mixing bowl. In a separate smaller bowl, mix milk and egg, beating well. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well.
- Place batter into a large pastry bag and snip the tip. Pipe batter into the hot oil in looping shapes. Cook on each side about 3 minutes, flipping halfway thorough. Drain and let set on a plate with paper towels.
- Serve warm dusted with powdered sugar. Makes 6 (about the size of the palm of an adult hand)
Serving Size:6 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 444Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 198mgCarbohydrates: 89gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 11g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.