2 Minute Homemade Popcorn is a TikTok Viral sensation! We tested out how to make perfect brown bag popcorn quickly without the burn.
Recreating store-bought popcorn a lot less expensive and with only three ingredients, makes this hack worth sharing.
Why you will love Homemade Popcorn the Easy Way
Inexpensive solution – Hands down, even with purchasing popcorn and bags, recreating a DIY microwave popcorn at home is so much less expensive than store-bought microwave popcorn.
Individual bags – Kids love having their own that can be seasoned just to their liking. As a parent, it’s also nice to limit the battles of “who is eating more” and “who isn’t sharing.” Individual brown paper bags for each person solve unnecessary arguing during healthy snack time.
Where did this 2 Minute Popcorn Hack come from?
I have made this before, but it’s been years, and I didn’t put butter in the bag, just popcorn. This particular hack was seen on TikTok, and we had to retry it with the creator @mmmorgan20 suggestions! See her video below and our changes on this recipe hack.
Ingredients (per individual bag)
- brown paper lunch bag – The lunch bags were the standard bag and are microwave safe. The package said 5-1/8″ x 3-1/8″ x 10-5/8″ for the size.
- Popping corn – Purchase a large container of popcorn kernels. I like Orville Redenbacher’s or Amish.
- Butter – Butter does not need to be pre-melted butter, and unsalted butter works great. Delicious popcorn does not require heavy oils like avocado oil or coconut oil.
- Salt or popcorn flavor seasoning – Any popcorn toppings work great; see suggestions below.
Purchase Brown Paper Bags and stock up for your pantry here on Amazon.
How to make Microwave Popcorn
- Add unpopped kernel popping corn and butter to a brown lunch bag. Seasoning can be added at this step if preferred.
- Fold the top of the bag down twice to shut it completely.
- Place in the microwave and microwave on the “popcorn” setting.
- When the cooking cycle is complete, let it stand for a minute because there are always a few more kernels that pop, and you do not want a surprise.
- Open microwave and carefully open bag – watching for steam.
- Season with extra salt (or kosher salt) before serving.
- Makes one bag of individual popcorn.
Our thoughts on this TikTok Game-Changing Popcorn Hack
As with all viral social media videos, they don’t always work the way you want them to. Our changes to the test are below so you can recreate this in your home.
I made three bags of homemade microwave popcorn and found that the “popcorn” setting on my microwave worked best. I don’t know if it’s not as hot or what, but 2 minutes burnt my popcorn (as suggested in the TikTok Video Recipe), and the popcorn setting made it perfect.
If you don’t have that setting, I suppose you’ll have to listen and “look for any smoke” because that means it’s burning a little bit.
I folded the bag over twice because that’s how much I needed it to be folded to fit into my microwave. You could probably fold 1-2 more times if you had a smaller microwave or possibly lay it on its side. The 2-minute bag fell over and didn’t open up, so all was safe.
Do not miss this Rainbow Popcorn Recipe! This stovetop popcorn method creates deliciously sweet kettle corn popcorn in multi-colors.
Homemade microwave popcorn can taste just like movie theater popcorn!
Several products take that cup of popcorn kernels and turn it into the best batch of popcorn ever. You may be asking why not real butter? I find that real butter as an extra topping can make perfect popcorn soggy or too greasy.
We suggest the following to make at-home fresh popcorn taste perfect for movie night.
Popcorn Seasoning Ideas
With the individual paper bag method in the microwave oven, it’s fun to make customized popcorn for kids. Gourmet popcorn is also great for slumber parties and birthday parties.
Try any of your favorite toppings, from sweet to salty. Here are some delicious suggestions for that bowl of popcorn!
- Garlic Powder
- Brown Sugar
- Cinnamon Sugar Mixture
- Mini Marshmallows
- Chocolate drizzle
- Caramel drizzle
Related Viral Recipes
- Did you know you can make a cookie cake in an air fryer?
- Homemade Marshmallow Fluff is even better as a dessert dip.
- Are Nutella Cookies worth the hype?
- This homemade French Toast Rolls recipe IS worth the hype.
- Ketchup in a cake recipe? Yes, please.