Mexican cornbread casserole, made with creamy style corn, flavorful jalapenos and a shredded chicken, is not only a hearty side dish to feed a crowd, but also a great stand alone main dish meal. The added protein makes Mexican cornbread casserole perfect along side some Spanish rice, and the base of corn, mushrooms and cheese make it a perfect meal to top however you please. Pile up the sour cream, salsa, and Tabasco to really put some kick in each bite!
Mexican Cornbread Casserole
Many Mexican corn bread casseroles include beef and tomatoes, which is a variation I also love, but this new take with shredded chicken is the only way my kids will devour it. Not everyone in my house is a spicy fan, so making the spice optional rather than required is one way to keep all members happy. While this is a great Mexican side dish for a potluck or picnic, and also a unique casserole recipe to serve, the added chicken makes it a perfect one pan meal as well.
And talk about easy to prep! Dump, mix, bake and serve!
- 1 can, 15 oz, corn, drained
- 1 can, 14.75 oz, cream style corn
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 package, 8.5 oz, cornbread mix
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or chopped into bite size pieces
- 1-1/2 jalapenos, seeded and diced (divided)
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded Colby jack cheese, divided
Mexican Cornbread and Chicken Tips
- This is such a good recipe! It also is perfect for a crowd makes a big pan full. If you served this as a side dish you could easily feed 12-16 people. If it’s a meal, probably around 8-10. I think it has a little kick, but I can only eat mild salsa. If you want to add more kick, serve it with hot/Tabasco sauce.
- You can swap the jalapenos in the mix for a 4oz container of diced chilies.
- It takes 10-15 minutes to pull together and then baking time.
- Use a box of Jiffy corn bread mix- no sense in reinventing the wheel here!
Taco Cornbread Casserole Recipe
Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, add whole and cream style corn, garlic, salt, eggs and cornbread mix.
Mix well. Pour into prepared pan.
In a separate bowl, add pre-cooked chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
Add 1 jalapeno, mushrooms, and sour cream. Stir in 1 cup of cheese.
TIP: You can grab a rotisserie chicken and shred it for a quick way to add chicken without the work! I do this a lot for soups.
Spread mixture on top of cornbread keeping about 1″ from the edges.
Add remaining cheese on top.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until edges are brown.
Serve topped with remaining fresh jalapenos.
Corn Side Dish Recipes
Want your corn casserole without the extra? I get that too!
Mexican Topping Ideas
Mexican made recipes are so easy to top how you like to spice it up. Some of my favorites to add to the finished plate are below, but you could also easily top with cowboy caviar, pico de gallo, or black bean and corn salsa for fun alternatives.
- Green Olives
- Sour Cream
Here is a downloadable and printable version of this Mexican corn casserole recipe. Personally I like to print recipes for ingrediantsa nd to keep my devices out of the kitche. Feel free to print to make it easier for you to make!
If you bake this recipe at home and want to share with me your changes or if you liked it or not, please come back and leave a comment or tag me on social media (instagram is the best way) at #saltysidedish. I appreciate your support!