Boiled red potatoes is one of the most simple side dishes and easy recipes out there. Using baby red potatoes, this is an easy side dish that can be dressed up with real butter, black pepper and even garlic powder.
Delicious earthy potatoes, there is nothing more delicious than fork tender red potatoes and a few tablespoons butter to hit the spot.
What ingredients for Boiled Red Potatoes
As far as potato recipes go, this baby potatoes recipe is the most perfect simple side dish ever. Using new potatoes, mini reds, baby yellows or even these blush potatoes, just adding some fresh herbs gives you a pop of fresh flavor in one of the easiest ways.
While this recipe is fair easy, I still wanted to show you step by step how to make these potatoes so I have included a Boiled Red Potatoes video as well!
Scroll to the bottom for a printable version of this post, including all measurements and instructions, so you can follow along in your kitchen without being on your phone.
Here is what ingredients to gather and get started on boiled red potatoes:
- small red potatoes
- minced garlic
- fresh parsley or fresh dill (pick your personal preference)
- Parmesan cheese
What Alternative spices taste best on boiled potatoes?
Personally, fresh herbs are my favorite way to eat potatoes, but there really are so many different ways! If the suggested fresh herbs (dill and parsley) are nt a great option, try seasonings like Italian or Lemon pepper or your favorite addition of lots of green herbs.
How to Cook Boiled Red Potatoes
Clean and prep the potatoes.
Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water that is an inch above the potatoes.
Boil the red potatoes.
Drain remaining water from potatoes and put them in a large bowl with butter, garlic, and season with kosher salt and black pepper.
Top with fresh parsley and shredded Parmesan cheese. The potatoes will have such a creamy texture and are perfect to serve with a bit of extra melted butter! Talk about the perfect side dish!!
How long to boil red potatoes
It doesn’t take long at all to boil potatoes!
Simply heat red potatoes on medium high heat in a large pot and boil small potatoes for about 20-25 minutes or until a fork can be easily stuck into the potatoes.
If the red skin begins to peel off, the potatoes are done and its time to drain potatoes.
Are Red Skin Potatoes Low Carb?
These incredible potatoes actually fit within the dietary guidelines of some popular diets. If you are on any of the following, you are in luck! Potatoes are not Keto-friendly since white potatoes are basically pure carbs. However, here is some additional nutritional information for those interested.
- Weight Watchers Points: There are 2 weight watchers points in a red potato.
Other Ways to Love Red Potatoes
There really are so many ways to enjoy the red potato – boiling is not the only way! I love keeping mine whole and sincerely enjoy the first bite, but these boiled red potatoes are just as good smashed or mashed. Just use a fork to mush ’em up, throw on some sour cream, and create a totally different look and texture.
- Pressure Cooked Red Potatoes
- Herb Roasted Parmesan Red Potatoes
- Creamer Potatoes
- Ninja Foodi Roasted Red Potatoes & Bacon
- Country Potatoes
- Smashed Red Potatoes
Boiled Red Potatoes
- 1.5-2 lbs small red potatoes - washed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Add clean red potatoes to a large sauce pan and cover with cold water. You want the water to be at least 1" above the red potatoes.
- Heat on medium high heat and boil the potatoes for about 20-25 minutes or until a fork can be easily stuck into the potatoes. If the skin begins to peel off, the potatoes are done.
- Drain excess water (carefully, its hot!) from the baby red potatoes.
- Place drained red potatoes into a large bowl with pats of butter, minced garlic, and season with salt and black pepper.
- Use a spoon to mix well until butter is completely melted.
- Spoon red potatoes into a serving dish and sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley herbs.