The combination of the incredible sweet watermelon, crumbled feta cheese, and fresh herbs might seem simple but will taste just like summer.
This potluck-friendly watermelon side dish is equally delicious as lunch, and this recipe might be your new favorite way to enjoy this uber-popular summertime fruit.
Why you will love this Watermelon Salad
Sweet & Salty Side Dish Recipe – Typically paired with BBQ, the flavorful lemon and mint paired with tart and rich feta cheese are a playful balance that will be the talk of the picnic.
Fresh Summer Fruit – Watermelon is highly known for its refreshing taste. Perfectly juicy, a beautiful color, and readily available in the summer, this fresh summer fruit is one of the most well-known and well-loved ingredients.
Our thoughts on this viral watermelon and cucumber salad recipe.
Feta + Watermelon + Mint is always delicious. But this salad is next-level flavor!
I don’t know what it was, but the lemon and basil just added a good flavor, kind of a little sweet. It was interesting and good.
- Seedless watermelon, rind removed and cubed – I used half of a large, juicy watermelon for this. I think you could get away with making it with a whole “personal” watermelon, too.
- crisp cucumbers
- feta cheese
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh mint leaves
- fresh basil
How to make Watermelon Feta Salad
- Place ripe watermelon cubes, chopped English cucumbers, and salty feta cheese into a large bowl and mix well.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, combine olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, mint, and basil and whisk well.
- Pour over the fresh watermelon and crunchy cucumber mixture and mix well to evenly coat.
- Serve this refreshing salad immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Summer Salad Tips
Use a melon baller over cubed watermelon for a perfect side dish. Melon ballers work perfectly in a variety of other sweet melon fruits like cantaloupe and honeydew, and combing all these fruits together in one refreshing watermelon salad can be a great way to cool down on a hot summer day.
Turn fresh watermelon cubes into grilled watermelon before adding to salad.
You can cook the watermelon rinds too!
Related Summer Side Dishes
- Another gorgeous and guilt-free refreshing summer salad is our papaya and strawberry salad recipe.
- Absolutely a gathering and poolside icon, this fiesta corn salad recipe is one of the summer favorites around here.
- Creamy grape salad with Greek Yogurt is a time-honored recipe tradition in summer cookouts.
- A salad or a salsa, our Strawberry Caprese Salad Recipe is one we have been enjoying as a summer meal for more than eight years. If you love switching up classic Caprese salad recipes to something more unique, also try Peach Caprese Salad.
- Lastly, our trio of “must-have recipes for summer” ends with an old-fashioned macaroni salad recipe, southern potato salad with bacon, and fan favorite recipe pea salad with red onions and cheese!