Introducing the best Strawberry Pretzel Salad recipe! This easy pretzel salad combines a delightfully crunchy pretzel base with a creamy cheese layer and is topped off with a refreshing strawberry jello layer.
Regarded as one of the best Jell-O salads, it effortlessly combines sweet and salty flavors, making it an instant family favorite and the perfect holiday dessert.
Why Strawberry Pretzel Salad is a Must-Try Layered Dessert!
This charming dessert salad seamlessly combines frozen strawberries‘ juiciness, cool whip’s light fluffiness, and the unmistakable crunch of a salty pretzel crust. It’s no wonder that among perfect dessert salads, the Strawberry Pretzel Salad stands out as a fan favorite.
With its distinct layers, this dessert is the perfect sweet side dish that has graced many a family gathering, making it a memorable part of our meals together.
IMPORTANT TIP: Remember to give this strawberry pretzel dessert time to set before serving. The jell-o mixture needs time to set, but this classic recipe is worth the wait!
Ready to give this retro recipe a go? Here’s your shopping list (total amounts listed on printable recipe card at the bottom – scroll down or hit JUMP TO RECIPE):
- Frozen sliced strawberries: Thaw, but remember, don’t drain out the juices.
- Strawberry Jell-O: This gives us our lovely top layer.
- Boiling water: To mix with the Jell-O.
- Salted Pretzels: For that irresistible crunch.
- Granulated Sugar: For sweetness.
- Butter: To help set the pretzel layer.
- Cream cheese: The star of our creamy middle layer.
- Milk: To smooth things out.
- Cool Whip Whipped topping: For a fluffy finish.
Strawberry Pretzel Jello Salad Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Ensure there’s space in your fridge for a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Prepare Strawberries: If using whole frozen strawberries, slice them. Otherwise, thaw the FROZEN sliced strawberries in the fridge. Retain all the juices; do not drain.
- Mix Jell-O: In a bowl, add boiling water to a 6 oz. box of Strawberry Jell-O. Stir until dissolved, about 3 minutes.
- Combine Strawberry Gelatin with Strawberries: Mix in the sliced strawberries.
- Refrigerate: Place the mixture in the fridge until it starts to thicken but not completely harden (similar to the consistency of egg whites).
Salty-Sweet Pretzel Crust Layer:
- Crush Pretzels: Place pretzels in a gallon-sized bag. Use a rolling pin or the bottom of a glass cup to crush them into bite-sized pieces. A food processor or electric mixer will likely turn pretzels to dust, so it’s better to do it manually.
- Mix: In a bowl, combine crushed pretzels, white sugar, and melted butter.
- Form Crust: Press the pretzel mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish, ensuring even coverage.
- Bake: Place in the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Once baked, let the crust cool completely.
- Mix: In a bowl, combine a softened package of cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and milk. Beat or whisk until smooth.
- Add Whipped Topping: Fold in the whipped topping using a spatula and mix until well combined.
Assembling the Strawberry Pretzel Jello Salad:
- Once the crunchy pretzel crust is completely cool, evenly spread the cream cheese mixture. Ensure the creamy filling reaches the edges to prevent the jello mixture from seeping through.
- Chill in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Gently layer the semi-set strawberry mixture on top of the cream cheese layer.
- Refrigerate the assembled dish for at least 4 hours or until the Jell-o layer is firm.
- Once this classic strawberry pretzel salad is set, slice it into squares and serve. Enjoy!
How long can you store Old-Fashioned Strawberry Pretzel Salad in the refrigerator?
Strawberry Jello Salad is most enjoyable within 1-2 days of preparation. After that, the pretzels in the base begin to lose their crunch. It’ll still taste great, but the texture will change.
Is it possible to prepare Strawberry Jello Salad in advance?
Feel free to prepare this salad the evening before your event and allow it to chill overnight. However, remember that the longer it sits in the refrigerator, the softer the pretzel pieces at the base will become. Not everyone loves a soggy crust.
What’s the best way to serve Jello Pretzel Salad?
For the best experience, serve Jello Salad chilled straight from the refrigerator. This ensures the layers remain distinct, and the pretzel base retains some crunch.
For many, this Strawberry Pretzel Jello Salad isn’t just a holiday side dish; it’s a cherished family tradition often shared at church potlucks, bringing warmth and nostalgia to every gathering.
Can I use other fruits besides strawberries?
Certainly! While strawberries are a classic for this salad, you can experiment with other fruits like raspberries, mandarin oranges, blueberries, or a mix of your favorite frozen berries.
Just ensure the fruits pair well with the sweet and salty flavors of the dish.
More Strawberry Recipes to Explore!
After savoring the taste of our Strawberry Pretzel Jello Salad, dive into more strawberry-inspired creations.
Don’t miss out on the heavenly Layered Strawberry Angel Food Cake or the moist and flavorful Strawberry Poke Cake. And for breakfast enthusiasts, our Strawberry French Toast Bake is a morning game-changer.
Dive into these amazing recipes and let strawberries take center stage in your kitchen!