Crockpot cheeseburger Queso dip is a hot dip recipe with seasoned ground beef, Velveeta cheese, and black beans.
All melted into a powerfully cheesy “big game” ready dip, this crock pot cheeseburger dip is that it stays hot all day, making the perfect topper for homemade tortilla chips.
Why you will love making Cheeseburger Dip!
Gooey Cheese: The wonders one can make with Velveeta never seem to cease, and this Crockpot Cheeseburger Queso Dip is just another reason why.
Cheeseburger Dip is a bit like nachos, a bit like tacos, and a lot like a cheeseburger in dippable form. Gooey cheese melted onto tender black beans and browned hamburger meat, and all ready to be scooped by crisp tortilla chips–I don’t know if any other dip can be so darn perfect.
Keeps warm and dippable: It’s made in a crockpot, so it’s really simple to make and will stay warm for hours. My guess is it won’t last that long, though, so you may want to make it a double batch.
Easy Clean-up: The next best thing about using a crockpot to make this dip is the super easy clean-up because, let’s be real: no one wants to do a load of dishes after a party, and that’s exactly the setting this dip is perfect for.
Sunday night football, movie night, Dungeons and Dragons campaigns, you name it, this cowboy-style Queso dip will deliver.
Before switching on your crockpot, you’ll want to gather the following ingredients:
- 1lb Velveeta cheese– Original Velveeta cheese or Velveeta Queso Blanco both work perfectly for this.
- Rotel tomatoes– Rotel has a variety of flavors, and you can stick to the basics or choose a Rotel with spice or jalapenos.
- 1 lb. ground beef or ground sirloin– for this recipe, you’ll want to start by browning your meat, draining it of any excess grease, and seasoning it with pepper. While normally, I would suggest using salt and black pepper for seasoning it as well, I find that there is enough salt in the cheese and seasoning packet that you don’t need to add extra.
- Black beans– drained and rinsed well.
- Sour cream– original, low-fat, or nonfat types will all work great in this recipe.
- 1 taco seasoning packet– I use McCormick’s or El Paso, but any brand will do; it should be 1.25 oz. of seasoning.
- Two green onions- You will use the green onion as a garnish to prep it while the dip cooks.
- cooked bacon-Because the dip melts so quickly, only add pre-made bacon to the dish or use it directly as a topping. Bacon can be cooked using an Air Fryer quite easily while the dip is warming.
- Tortilla chips for serving – I find that for creamier, less viscous dips such as this one, it’s a good idea to pick a scooped tortilla chip so that the dip doesn’t just fall off, or make your own Air Fryer Tortilla Chips.
How to make Crock Pot Cheeseburger Dip
- Add cubes of Velveeta cheese, one can of Rotel tomatoes, cooked ground beef mixture, sour cream, and taco seasoning packet in the bottom of a crock pot, and mix cheese dip well.
- Cover the slow cooker with a lid and heat on high for 45 minutes to 2 hours, mixing about every 20 minutes to avoid hot spots in the cheese.
- There will be a variation in timing based on the crock pot size. Once everything is melted and creamy, move on to the next step.
- About 15 minutes prior to serving, add a can of drained and rinsed black beans and mix.
- Continue heating the dip for about 15 minutes more to warm the beans through.
- Add the hot crockpot cheeseburger dip recipe on top of Air Fried tortilla chips and eat while gooey and warm.
Cheesy Hamburger Dip Cooking Alterations
If you don’t have a crockpot or slow cooker, don’t let that stop you from making this dip!
Bake the Dip: It can be baked just fine using a Dutch oven or cast iron pan. As with the slow cooker version, cook beef, add ingredients together, and then place in your cast iron pan or Dutch oven.
Put the pan in the oven at 375 degrees F and heat, stirring every 20 minutes, until the dip is creamy and melted.
Prepare in Advance: One of the best things about this Cheeseburger Dip is that it can be prepared in advance. Let the dip cool and store it in an airtight container for as long as three days. Reheat slowly in the crockpot, stovetop, or in oven, stirring often.
Topping Ideas: Depending on heat tolerance, chilis, jalapenos, cooked bacon, dill pickles, and white or yellow onions all make great favorite burger toppings.
Velveeta Cheese Dip Variations
Stick with Velveeta: other cheeses can sometimes be used to substitute for Velveeta, but in this recipe, you’ll want to stick with Velveeta for the creamiest end result.
Meat Substitutions: With all the meat substitutions out there today, it’s really never been easier to adapt recipes for a vegetarian diet, and this recipe is no exception. Leave out the ground beef altogether and replace it with extra beans.
Alternatively, you can use Beyond Meat, Impossible, or even a soy-based chorizo instead of the beef and bacon in this recipe.
Make your own seasoning: if you don’t have taco seasoning on hand, you can make your own! Combine two parts each: paprika (smoked or plain), garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and 1 part each onion powder, oregano (ground or flakes), salt, and ground pepper. Mix all the spices together and store them.
Crock-pot method: some crock pots can be used on the stovetop, which allows you to eliminate an extra pan to brown the meat and makes for a really easy cleanup. Otherwise, I find a cast iron pan is best for browning the meat.
Tomatoes: if you don’t have Rotel tomatoes, you can use regular diced tomatoes instead or spice things up using a jar of salsa instead of Rotel.
Optional: Add sautéed red or white onion or diced chilies to the mix, or add ¾ cup of your favorite beer to the meat as it cooks. Garnish with fresh cilantro or fresh diced jalapeno.
However you make it get ready to make it again because Velveeta Cheeseburger Dip is always a hit!
Great Party Dips
If you love this Cheeseburger Dip, make sure you check out these other fun party dips!
Bean dip with cream cheese: Are you looking for an easy and delicious way to spice up your next party? Try this creamy and flavorful bean dip with cream cheese! Similar to Texas Trash dip, it is sure to be a hit with all your guests!
Buffalo chicken dip: Make your next gathering a hit with buffalo chicken dip! This creamy and spicy dip combines the bold flavor of buffalo sauce with tender chicken for a delicious, crowd-pleasing treat.
Chili cheese dip: This chili cheese dip is the perfect addition to any gathering. Offering a creamy, cheesy texture and a slight spice kick, this dip will surely be a favorite amongst your guests.
Salsa verde: Experience the bold flavors of salsa verde! This bright, zesty dip will surely wow your guests with its fresh, tangy notes.
Feta cheese dip: Treat your guests to the savory delight of warm feta cheese dip! This luxurious dip combines the creamy texture of feta cheese with aromatic herbs and spices for a tantalizing flavor.
Baked Onion dip: Warm onion dip is the perfect way to kick off your next gathering. This creamy dip combines the mellow sweetness of caramelized onions with the tang of sour cream for a flavor that is sure to please.
Swiss cheese dip: Bring the delicious taste of Swiss cheese to your next gathering with this warm, creamy dip.
Cheeseburger Dip with Velveeta
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese cut into cubes
- 10 oz. Rotel Tomatoes canned
- 1 lb. ground beef or ground sirloin
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1.25 oz taco seasoning
- 2 green onions sliced
- 15.25 oz Black Beans drained and rinsed
- tortilla chips for serving
- Season and cook ground beef (or sirloin) on the stove top. Drain of an excess grease.
- In a crock pot, add cubes of Velveeta Cheese (original or Queso Blanco), 1 can of Rotel Tomatoes, all seasoned ground beef, sour cream and taco seasoning. Mix well together to spread seasonings amongst other ingredients.
- Place lid on crock pot and heat on HIGH for 45 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes. Smaller crock pots may need additional time to melt cheese, just continue stirring every 20 minutes until dip is melted and creamy.
- 15 minutes prior to serving, add a can of drained and rinsed black beans and continue to heat.
- Keep crock pot on low/warm for serving and keep cheese melted during a party.
- Combine with Tortilla Chips for the Ultimate Nacho Cheese Dip!
Nutritional Disclaimer: The nutritional data provided here is auto-calculated and intended for your convenience only. As it’s generated via automation, its accuracy may be compromised. For precise nutritional insight, please compute the values utilizing the actual ingredients in your recipe through your chosen nutrition calculator or application.