This Queso Blanco dip with chihuahua cheese and Rotel is a must-have dip for any party. Once you learn how easy it is to make your own homemade Queso, you will be skipping the restaurant, whipping up your own Pico De Gallo and seven layer dip, and tossing out the Queso for your next appetizer tray.
Many great cheese types make up this creamy, rich dip – sour cream, Pepper Jack, Queso ( also known as chihuahua) cheese, and smooth cream cheese with perfectly flavored Rotel tomatoes.
Why you will love Queso Dip
Perfect for parties, football game days or just munching while watching a movie, the beautifully melting queso chihuahua cheese makes sure this dip is not only ready quickly but bite after bite is delicious.
Easy to alter: The flavors of the combined cheeses and spices keep the profile simple and authentic but to spice it up, it’s easy to add salsa, jalapenos, or chilies.
Who doesn’t love chips and dip? There are a million ways to make delicious cheese dips and this is just one that you must try as well.
Queso Blanco Recipe without Velveeta Cheese for a made from scratch Queso Blanco that will make you the hit of the party!
- Cream cheese – When you use cream cheese in a recipe, it should be softened and cut into cubes. Do not microwave, but rather leave the opened container of cream cheese at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
- Pepper jack cheese – Pepper jack cheese brings delicious flavor profiles that are perfect with other traditional cheeses.
- Chihuahua cheese (AKA Queso Cheese) – Either purchase a block to shred or pre-shredded queso chihuahua cheese. If not found in the regular cheese aisle, try the artisanal cheeses or specialty cheese aisle.
- Rotel tomatoes – When making a queso cheese dip, there are many flavored filled Rotel tomato cans. Instead of using a plain can, try one that includes lime or cilantro for an extra boost.
- Seasonings: chili powder, onion powder + garlic powder. If preferred, use freshly roasted garlic.
- Whole heavy whipping cream + sour cream – Both of these ingredients really give a smooth creamy taste to the dip.
- Homemade tortilla chips – If short on time, grab a bag of tortilla chips, but it is also SUPER simple and well worth the effort for stovetop fried homemade tortilla chips. Nothing beats it!
How to make Queso Dip ( without Velveeta)
- In a saucepan, add cubed cream cheese, shredded pepper jack cheese, Queso chihuahua cheese, sour cream, Rotel tomatoes can, and all seasonings.
- Heat cheese over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until mixture is melted creamy cheese.
- Add whole whipping cream and heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is a smooth consistency.
- As dip cools, it will slightly thicken up, so if you want it thicker, just wait about 5 minutes and give it a good stir!
What kind of cheese is Queso Chihuahua Cheese?
Queso Chihuahua is a cheese originally made by the Mennonites and is an authentic Mexican melting cheese. It is similar to a mild Cheddar and Cheddar makes a reliable substitute cheese if needed in a recipe.
How do you reheat Chihuahua Cheese Dip?
Chihuahua cheese is a Mexican cheese that reheats well. I did leave it on my stove and the cheese set as it cooled. I reheated it on low on the stove.
How can I keep this dip low carb?
Many dips are low carb but that goes out the window when you add chips. If you are wanting to keep this dip within the realm of a specific diet, you will likely need to serve with cut-up veggies. Try adding cut-up red, yellow, and orange bell peppers!
Does Rotel Turn the Dip Pink?
There are so many kinds of Queso dips. SO MANY. From the chili con Queso to the Chipotle Queso’s, you can dress this dip up anyway and any spice you prefer. This Queso chihuahua cheese dip recipe is a simple but powerful one.
However, I have noticed an alarming trend when it comes to recipes. Many images don’t always tell the truth when they add ingredients. This recipe has tomatoes and tomatoes have a slightly pink hue to them, so if you see cheese and tomatoes without the pink hue, they have been edited out. And why?
I don’t know because tomatoes are pretty much the best nonveggie on the planet. If anything deserves to be folded into a tomato, it’s a semi-soft cheese dip. I just wanted to notice that when you compare this to other dips…if they are whiter but still have tomatoes, it’s either a lot fewer tomatoes, a lot more cheese, or fancy editing.
More Appetizer Dips
Making a dip tray and need a variety of delicious flavors to serve up? Or just looking for another fabulous party dip or holiday dip? Try one of these delicious dip recipe options:
- Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball Dip
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- Crockpot Cheeseburger Dip
- Chili Cheese Dip
- Capucchino Dip
- Deviled Egg Dip
- Bacon Spinach Dip
Connect with Us!
If you try this recipe, please leave a review in the comment section – Your review helps others and is appreciated. Ensure you never miss a new side dish recipe by following us on Pinterest and signing up for our recipe email list!
Comments & Reviews
Love these recipes. Love this site
Thank you so much!
Can this be frozen & reheated? There us just the two if us.
Penni, I have never frozen my queso dip before so I dont know for sure. Its usually something I make and eat fresh. In general, however, cheese itself can be frozen as long as its in air tight container. Its just when you defrost and heat, you have to be careful not to curdle the ingrediants, so make sure you defrost and then stir a lot when reheating.
Made this for Super Bowl 2023. Is it ok to eat this for breakfast? Wow! Can’t wait to serve this during the game this afternoon! Will keep this recipe and make again for sure.