This Queso Blanco dip with chihuahua cheese and Rotel is a must-have dip for any party.
Once you learn how easy it is to make your own homemade queso, you will be skipping the restaurant, whipping up your own Pico de Gallo and seven-layer dip, and tossing out the queso for your next appetizer tray.
Many great cheese types make up this creamy, rich dip: sour cream, Pepper Jack, Queso (also known as chihuahua) cheese, and smooth cream cheese with perfectly flavored Rotel tomatoes.
Why you will love Queso Dip
Perfect for parties, football game days, or just munching while watching a movie, the beautifully melting queso chihuahua cheese makes sure this dip is not only ready quickly, but bite after bite is delicious.
Easy to alter: The flavors of the combined cheeses and spices keep the profile simple and authentic, but to spice it up, it’s easy to add salsa, jalapenos, or chilies.
Who doesn’t love chips and dip? There are a million ways to make delicious cheese dips, and this is just one that you must try as well.
Queso Blanco Recipe without Velveeta Cheese for a made-from-scratch Queso Blanco that will make you the party’s hit!
- Cream cheese: When you use cream cheese in a recipe, it should be softened and cut into cubes. Do not microwave; leave the opened cream cheese container at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
- Pepper Jack cheese: Pepper Jack cheese brings delicious flavor profiles that are perfect with other traditional cheeses.
- Chihuahua cheese (AKA Queso Cheese): Purchase a block to shred or pre-shredded queso chihuahua cheese. Try the artisanal or specialty cheese aisle if you cannot find it in the regular cheese aisle.
- Rotel tomatoes: Many flavored-filled Rotel tomato cans exist when making a queso cheese dip. Instead of a plain can, try one that includes lime or cilantro for an extra boost.
- Seasonings: chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder. If preferred, use freshly roasted garlic.
- Whole heavy whipping cream + sour cream – These ingredients give the dip a smooth, creamy taste.
- Homemade tortilla chips – If short on time, grab a bag of them, but it is also SUPER simple and well worth the effort for stovetop-fried homemade tortilla chips. Nothing beats it!
How to make Queso Dip ( without Velveeta)
- In a saucepan, add cubed cream cheese, shredded pepper jack cheese, Queso chihuahua cheese, sour cream, Rotel tomatoes in a can, and all seasonings.
- Heat cheese over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture is melted and creamy.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture has a smooth consistency.
- As the dip cools, it will slightly thicken up, so if you want it thicker, just wait about 5 minutes and stir it well!
What kind of cheese is Queso Chihuahua Cheese?
Queso Chihuahua is a cheese originally made by the Mennonites and is an authentic Mexican melting cheese. It is similar to a mild Cheddar and Cheddar makes a reliable substitute cheese if needed in a recipe.
How do you reheat Chihuahua Cheese Dip?
Chihuahua cheese is a Mexican cheese that reheats well. I did leave it on my stove and the cheese set as it cooled. I reheated it on low on the stove.
How can I keep this dip low carb?
Many dips are low-carb, but that goes out the window when you add chips. If you want to keep this dip within the realm of a specific diet, you will likely need to serve with cut-up veggies. Try adding cut-up red, yellow, and orange bell peppers!
Does Rotel Turn the Dip Pink?
There are so many kinds of Queso dips. SO MANY. From the chili con Queso to the Chipotle queso’s, you can dress this dip up anyway and any spice you prefer. This Queso chihuahua cheese dip recipe is a simple but powerful one.
However, I have noticed an alarming trend when it comes to recipes. Many images don’t always tell the truth when they add ingredients. This recipe has tomatoes and tomatoes have a slightly pink hue to them, so if you see cheese and tomatoes without the pink hue, they have been edited out. And why?
I don’t know because tomatoes are pretty much the best nonveggie on the planet. If anything deserves to be folded into a tomato, it’s a semi-soft cheese dip. I just wanted to notice that when you compare this to other dips…if they are whiter but still have tomatoes, it’s either a lot fewer tomatoes, a lot more cheese, or fancy editing.
More Appetizer Dips
Try one of these delicious dip recipe options:
- Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball Dip
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- Crockpot Cheeseburger Dip
- Chili Cheese Dip
- Capucchino Dip
- Deviled Egg Dip
- Bacon Spinach Dip
Connect with Us!