Air Fryer Dorito Cheese Sticks (easily altered with flaming hot Cheetos) are an incredible cheesy snack made with fan-favorite Nacho Cheese Doritos.
Why you will love making Homemade Cheese Sticks.
Getting creative: Fried cheese will never hit your tongue the same way again once you realize that you can get creative!
- Crunchy Goodness: The air fryer turns the Dorito coating into a crunchy masterpiece, making each bite a crunchy extravaganza.
- Melt-in-Your-Mouth Interior: The mozzarella stick inside becomes lusciously gooey when air-fried, offering a heavenly contrast to the outer layer.
- Quick & Easy: With a prep time of just 10 minutes and an air fryer cook time of under 10 minutes, these sensational sticks are a perfect quick snack or appetizer.
- Less Guilt: Air frying eliminates the need for deep frying, offering a less greasy but equally indulgent alternative.
Where did Dorito Cheese Sticks come from?
We have seen several flamin’ hot recipes on social media in the last year. This particular recipe glorifies the Dorito, a delicious and addictive snack!
Check out the original viral recipes video here.
These homemade cheese sticks are good!
The outside shell is quite crispy. I noticed it, and so did my husband.
The Dorito flavor is good since it’s all in the chips, and you can add nearly any variety of chips for a different array of flavors.
- Nacho cheese chips: There are so many flavors of nacho cheese chips. We like Nacho Cheese Doritos for this dish, but feel free to get creative with one of the many types of Doritos! Chili Cheese, Spicy Ranch, Cool Ranch, or Flamin Hot Doritos would all work fantastic.
- Mozzarella cheese sticks: just a regular bag of mozzarella string cheese sticks with each piece cut in half.
Tip: The best way to crush down chips is in a food processor or a blender; however, as in the video recipe, it’s OK to add to a plastic baggie and crush with a rolling pin.
Can Hot Cheetos be used over Dorito’s?
Absolutely! Hot Cheetos, like we used in Cheeto Chicken, can easily be crushed and used instead of Doritos.
Another excellent recommendation is to use takis or hot cheese puffs.
Using different types of chips can change the flavor and heat of this dish.
How to make Dorito Mozzarella Sticks
While this tasty snack can be made in any air fryer brand, the settings and terminology listed below are specific to the Ninja Foodi 6-quart air fryer. Please adjust your air fryer machine as needed.
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes and set the air fryer setting at 400 degrees on air crisp.
- Place the egg in a shallow bowl, place the flour into a separate shallow bowl, and put crushed chips into a third separate bowl.
- Dredge each cheese stick into the egg mixture, followed by flour, another egg wash (so it’s a double coat), and the coated cheese sticks in the crushed nacho chips.
- Place into the air fryer basket in a single layer, ensuring cheese sticks do not touch.
- Heat on Air Crisp for 3–4 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Remove the air fryer mozzarella cheese sticks and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Great Dipping Sauces for Homemade Cheese Sticks
Cheese sticks are a crowd-pleaser that rarely disappoints.
While they are undeniably delicious on their own, the right dipping sauce can transform the perfect smacking experience.
From classic marinara to spicy aioli, the possibilities are endless.
- Ranch Dressing: Here is our favorite homemade ranch dip recipe.
- Marinara Sauce (standard for cheese sticks but may not be as desirable with nacho cheese flavor)
- Hot Sauce
- Ricotta Dip
- Jalapeno Cream Cheese Dip
- Dill and Cucumber Dipping Sauce
Quick and Easy Air Fryer Recipes for Busy Weeknights
- Chicken recipes have never been more delectable! Try air fryer chicken thighs for the most incredible family-friendly weeknight dish.
- Skip the oven and make canned air fryer biscuits.
- An all-in-one air fryer breakfast recipe that will leave you craving for more!
- See what happens to cookie dough in the air fryer!
- If your kids hate veggies, try making air fryer green bean fries. Maybe not fries, but better than mushy old peas.
- Another great dippable snack, onion petals have full-on flavor and low carbs.
- Serve up some steak bites!
- Air fryers and cauliflower recipes are a match made in heaven!