Hawaiian coleslaw is a sweet side dish recipe that will make your mouth say mmmmmmmmm.
You will love how the pineapple and brown sugar is balanced out with the onion and vinegar in this perfect adaptation of its distant cousin, plain regular coleslaw.
No need to have boring cabbage slaw when you can dress up to sweet perfection. And you may even have a shot that the kids will eat this one; which we both know is a win win.Scroll to the bottom for a printable version of this post, including all measurements and instructions, so you can follow along in your kitchen without being on your phone.
Here is what ingredients you need to gather to get started:
- chopped coleslaw
- crushed pineapple (drained, juice reserved)
- white onion
- brown sugar
- apple cider vinegar
SERVE WITH THESE RECIPES: Pair with Hawaiian Cheesecake Salad and serve up with some ham for a perfectly balanced meal. Other recipes that I totally love with a Hawaiian flavor are Hawaiian Rice that you can top with Crock pot Hawaiian Chicken.
Top with fresh mint garnish before serving
Mix well before serving
Drain your pineapple into a second bowl and set aside.
In some cases, we are finding crushed pineapple is super watery and settling into the bowl, especially after getting cold in the fridge.
Set aside the pineapple juice and only add a bit at a time if you need more moisture after cold and set. If not, discard.
Hawaiian coleslaw Recipe
Add coleslaw, drained crushed pineapple and onion to a mixing bowl and mix well.
In a separate bowl, add mayonnaise, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper and mix well.
Add mixture to coleslaw and mix well.
Refrigerate for at least four hours and mix well before serving.
- 1 package chopped cole slaw - 14 oz
- 1 can - 20 oz, crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1/2 cup real mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Open your pineapple, its possible it needs to be drained so its not too wet.
- Add coleslaw, pineapple and onion to a mixing bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add mayonnaise, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper and mix well. Add mixture to coleslaw and mix well.
- Refrigerate for at least four hours and mix well before serving.