Hawaiian coleslaw is a sweet side dish recipe that will make your mouth say mmmmmmmmm. Pair with Hawaiian Cheesecake Salad and serve up with some ham for a perfectly balanced meal. Other recipes that I totally love with a Hawaiian flavor are Hawaiian Rice that you can top with Crock pot Hawaiian Chicken.
You will love how the pineapple and brown sugar is balanced out with the onion and vinegar in this perfect adaptation of its distant cousin, plain regular coleslaw.
No need to have boring cabbage slaw when you can dress up to sweet perfection. And you may even have a shot that the kids will eat this one; which we both know is a win win.
If you are a fan of shredded slaw salads, also try my traditional carrot salad with raisins.
Serve coleslaw with Pineapple Chicken.
Hawaiian Coleslaw Ingredients:
- 1 package chopped cole slaw (14 oz)
- 1 can, 20 oz, crushed pineapple (drained, juice reserved)
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1/2 cup real mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Top with fresh mint garnish before serving
- Mix well before serving
- Drain your pineapple into a second bowl and set aside. In some cases, we are finding crushed pineapple is super watery and settling into the bowl, especially after getting cold in the fridge. Set aside the pineapple juice and only add a bit at a time if you need more moisture after cold and set. If not, discard.
Hawaiian coleslaw Recipe
Add coleslaw, drained crushed pineapple and onion to a mixing bowl and mix well.
In a separate bowl, add mayonnaise, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper and mix well.
Add mixture to coleslaw and mix well.
Refrigerate for at least four hours and mix well before serving.
Other delicious salad side dishes:
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 5 people
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 180 Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 9mg Sodium: 377mg Carbohydrates: 6g Sugar: 5g