Shredded carrot salad with raisins, crunchy pecans, and sweet pineapple chunks is the perfect addition to your summer menu. The delicious crunch of the carrots combined with the sweet pineapple and tartness of the lemon, gives you a carrot salad recipe that is reminiscent of what grandma used to make.
Carrot Raisin Salad Recipe
When spring starts to peak its head around winter’s corner, my mind zooms to all the summer picnics and backyard BBQ’s I’ve yet to enjoy. Whether for a light summery barbecue or a picnic with friends, Carrot Salad is my go-to choice for a healthy side all summer long. Better still, the kids love grated carrot raisin salad because of the sweet, and I appreciate knowing there is a decent option we can all agree upon as a perfect pot luck friendly side dish recipe.
- 1 package, 10 oz, matchstick carrots
- 1 can, 20 oz, pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup pecans
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Perfect Summer Salad Recipes
Of course side dishes never come alone so you will want some great summer salads to serve next to your sweet carrot salad. Or you can visit all other salad recipes here and find one that compliments your meal.
How to Shred Carrots for Carrot & Raisin Salad
Looking to keep the kids busy? Have them shred the carrots instead of buying already done. Per pound its also a ton cheaper to buy carrots and shred, so here are the steps if you wanna get seriously old fashioned in the kitchen.
- To begin, peel your carrots and cut the top off.
- I also like to cut a small part off the bottom (pointed) end, so I have something flat to start against the grater. If your carrot is really long or really thin, cut it in half crosswise, so you have a stiffer piece to work with.
- The key to protecting your hands is to first, start slowly until you get the carrot into a groove on the grater and second, go slowly as you get to the end.
Carrot Salad Ingredient Variations & Substitutions
This carrot salad recipe is all about the sweet, but sometimes people love a recipe but not *all* the ingredients. You can get creative if you want, I always suggest that in the kitchen, and here are a few ways to make this recipe your own.
- Don’t love pecans? Try walnut pieces or thinly sliced almonds
- Substitution for sweet pineapple would be drained mandarin oranges or small bits of crunchy green or red apples (peeled)
- Instead of regular raisins, try golden raisins
Carrot Salad Recipe
How to make Carrot Salad – You can scroll down to easily get a printable version of this salad to follow along in your kitchen.
- Mix matchstick carrots, drained pineapple, raisins and pecan pieces together in a bowl and mix well.
- Sprinkle with sugar and salt and mix the salad all together until covered.
- Add mayonnaise and lemon juice into a bowl and mix well. Now dump onto your carrot salad and mix well until all carrots are completely covered.
- For best flavor, refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 669Total Fat: 47gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 39gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 547mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 7gSugar: 50gProtein: 5g
Pin for later by clicking here so you have it for your next event.
Other Carrot Recipe Options you May Love