Combining creamy delicious mashed potatoes and healthy sweet spinach, is a dialed up gourmet side dish that takes no time at all to make.
It doesn’t need to a holiday to make up this awesome spinach mashed potato dish, although this spinach mashed potato recipe is perfect as a side dish for Easter or something green for St. Patrick’s Day. Spinach is horribly underrated.
For whatever reason, spinach gets at terrible reputation but spinach actually a delicious choice and works perfectly as an additive.
I personally love using spinach – in traditional recipes like Oven Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip (KETO FRIENDLY TOO!) or without the mashed potatoes like in this straight up creamy spinach casserole recipe. I think that once you explore using spinach recipes more in your sides, you will find a whole new world to eat!
Twice Baked Spinach Mashed Potatoes
Before you get started on this recipe, you will need the following ingredients.
Then scroll down for full Spinach Mashed Potato measurements and instructions on creating this recipe â€“ including a full recipe card that you can print for free that helps you shop and create easily in your kitchen.
- Frozen chopped spinach
- sour cream
- onion powder
- dill weed
- black pepper
- mozzarella cheese
Before starting this recipe:Preheat oven to 350 and grease a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Making Homemade Mashed Potatoes
In this case, you may make mashed potatoes however you normally would.
If you do not have a particular way you make your potatoes, you can use these simple instructions to give a nice mashed potato base for this recipe.
- Place potatoes into a large stockpot and cover with water, at least 1″ above the potatoes.
- Heat over medium high heat until boiling. Boil for 10-15 minute or until potatoes are soft when you stick a fork in them.
- Drain potatoes.
- Mash them with butter and place in a mixing bowl. No need to add milk.
Deliciously Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Spinach
Drain spinach by squeezing water out of the package.
Place into bowl with potatoes.
Add sour cream and spics and mix well.
Spread spinach mashed potato mixture into prepared casserole dish and spread evenly.
No need to push down too hard, just smooth the top so it cooks evenly.
Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Bake spinach mashed potatoes for 20 minutes or until center is hot and cheese is melty and browned.
Fresh or Frozen Spinach
For this recipe, frozen spinach that has been drained of any excess water is the best to use. Its simple, inexpensive, and the right texture.
Plus frozen veggies shave off prep time.
Using Instant or Left Over Mashed Potatoes
You could easily use leftover mashed potatoes, which would have butter and milk in them, and I think it would work just fine.
Just note that if you use leftover mashed potatoes and they are cold from the fridge, you’ll probably have to adjust the cooking time.
Any time you make any items ahead or have left over that go into the fridge for preservation, it takes longer in the oven to bring them up to room temperature.
Additional ideas to vary Spinach Mashed Potato Casserole
- Feel free to alter the cheese kind from mozzarella to cheddar
- This casserole would also taste great with a crunchy topping, like Ritz Crackers.
- Add in some drained and chopped artichokes
- Add in half a tablespoon of freshly minced garlic
Is Spinach Mashed Potatoes Keto Friendly?
Sorry to say, any recipe that uses Potatoes isn’t carb friendly. That doesn’t mean its not a great side dish choice however! Here are estimated nutritional values.
Disclaimer: Dietary information provided by Carb Manager. If you are on a KETO or Low Carb diet, always make sure to double check your own information with this or My Fitness Pal based on the brands and weights you use.
I am not responsible for the calculations but do try to provide as much information as possible for readers to make informed decisions.
Serve this Spinach Side Dish with
Need some recipes to serve up along side this spinach dish? Try this delicious Ritz Cracker Chicken , Copycat Alice Springs Chicken Recipe, or even this amazing 3 ingredient crispy honey garlic chicken.
Easy Cheesy Spinach Mashed Potatoes
- 10 oz. frozen spinach - frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained
- 6 potatoes - peeled and chopped into 1" cubes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Make your Homemade Mashed PotatoesTo get started, you first need to have mashed potatoes done. You may prep your mashed potatoes anyway you like if you have a recipe you already use or you can follow mine.
- Place potatoes into a large stockpot and cover with water, at least 1" above the potatoes.
- Heat over medium high heat until boiling.
- Boil for 10-15 minute or until potatoes are soft when you stick a fork in them.
- Drain potatoes.
- Mash them with butter and place in a mixing bowl.
Spinach Mashed Potatoes
- Drain thawed spinach by squeezing water out of the package.
- Place spinach into bowl with finished potatoes.
- Add sour cream and spices and combine all together, taking care to really mix the spices evenly.
- Spread spinach mashed potatoes into prepared casserole dish and spread top evenly. Do not compact your potatoes.
- Sprinkle top of casserole with cheese.
- Oven Bake dish for 20 minutes or until center is hot and top is melty and browned.
- As with any recipe, times may have to be adjusted for your oven.