Sweet Potato Casserole is an easy and delicious addition to any southern table. Covered in melty marshmallows and the sweet taste of brown sugar and crunchy pecans, this is a perfect baked casserole recipe.
Easy Sweet Potato Casserole
A traditional side dish that is prevalent on tables in fall meals like Thanksgiving and Christmas, you can still make this perfect side dish year round. Sweet potatoes are available in most produce departments no matter the weather and having a classic and tested recipe is important.
I hope you love this side as much as I do!
Scroll to the bottom for a printable version of this post, including all measurements and instructions, so you can follow along in your kitchen without being on your phone.
Here is what ingredients you need to gather to get started:
- sweet potatoes
- brown sugar
- ground cinnamon
- mini marshmallows
RELATED RECIPES: RELATED RECIPES: Baked Diced Sweet Potatoes, Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Onions, Pressure Cooker Sweet Potatoes, Candied Stove Top Sweet Potatoes, Hasselback Sweet Potatoes, Married Mashed Potatoes, Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole
Idea: Substitute sweet potatoes for squash
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Preheat oven to 375 and grease a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Place cut potatoes into a stockpot full of water.
Make sure the water is 1″ higher than the potatoes.
Heat on medium high heat until boiling. I would say about 30 minutes to cook the potatoes total.
It’s like cooking pasta, but the potatoes are in the pan when you turn on the heat. You’ll need to bring the water to a boil and then boil. Once it begins boiling, you need about 15 more minutes.
Sweet potatoes are done when a fork is poked into the sweet potato and it’s soft.
Drain off water.
**You can leave your sweet potatoes cubed or mash them for the casserole (This is shown as cubed)
In a small bowl, add butter, brown sugar, 1/4 cup of the pecans, vanilla, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg and mix well.
Place potatoes into prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
Pour butter mixture over potatoes (you can mix up mixture if you like) and top with marshmallows and remaining pecans.
Bake for 15 minutes or until center is hot and marshmallows are brown.
TIP: Watch this one in the oven as the marshmallows can brown quickly!
Depending on your oven, you may need to adjust to less minutes!
If you make this sweet potato casserole, I’d love your feedback! Please come back and rate this recipe and leave me your own personal changes and suggestions.
You can also always tag me with #SaltySideDish so I can see the recipes on your table!
Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
- 6-8 sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter - melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pecans - divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place cut potatoes into a stockpot full of water. Make sure the water is 1" higher than the potatoes. Heat on medium high heat until boiling. Reduce heat to medium or a rolling boil and boil potatoes for 8-10 minutes or until soft when a fork is poked into the sweet potato. Drain.
- **You can leave your sweet potatoes cubed or mash them.
- In a small bowl, add butter, brown sugar, 1/4 cup of the pecans, vanilla, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg and mix well.
- Place potatoes into prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
- Pour butter mixture over potatoes and top with marshmallows and remaining pecans.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until center is hot and marshmallows are brown.