Japanese Steakhouse sauce, also known as yum yum sauce, is aptly named for its delicious creamy and sweet flavor that will make you say YUM!
Undoubtedly, this authentic version recipe you would find in a Japanese Hibachi restaurant brings bright, bold flavors to chicken, steak, and veggies.
Let’s get started on this viral recipe!
Why you will love making Authentic Yum Yum Sauce.
Small Batch Ease – Make this one per batch versus a lot at a time. It’s effortless and doesn’t need time to mingle before enjoyment.
Home Hibachi Night – From appetizers to full meals, make sure yum yum sauce is at your home hibachi night. Pair with chicken, fried rice, and soy sauce shrimp.
Where did this Yum Yum Sauce recipe come from?
There are thousands of varieties of this yummy sauce on the internet, but we saw this particular version on TikTok Creator @saltynsweeteats and couldn’t want to try her rendition.
Would we use this recipe again?
Yes, this delicious recipe was the real deal! Other versions use tomato paste or have 3 or 4 ingredients, but we loved the authentic flavors close to a Hibachi house. This recipe is a winner!
- real mayonnaise
- granulated sugar
- rice wine vinegar (also known as rice vinegar)
- melted unsalted butter
- Seasonings – ground black pepper, garlic powder, paprika
What is Yum Yum Sauce?
There are so many recipes that take better when made from home as opposed to store-bought. Making homemade dressing or a flavorful sauce can easily elevate dinner into something special in no time at all.
Yum Yum sauce is most commonly known for its roots in a Japanese Steakhouse like Benihanas.
This condiment staple has cooling properties with its mayo base and pairs excellently with steak and hibachi chicken alike.
This dipping sauce’s sweet, tangy flavor is all in the name – YUM!
How to make Homemade Yum Yum Sauce
- In a small mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, sugar, ketchup, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and vinegar. Whisk well.
- Add butter and whisk until smooth and combined.
- Thin Japanese Steakhouse sauce mixture with water as desired, and to gain the thin or thick consistency of your choice. The coloring should be a creamy orange-pink sauce.
- Serve sauce recipe immediately or refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve. This homemade sauce recipe can last in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Serve TikTok Yum Yum Sauce with
This simple sauce is excellent with various golden brown proteins and vegetables.
The simple ingredients of this pink sauce also go great with fries, onion rings, leftover rice, hibachi vegetables, hibachi noodles, or even drizzled on baked potatoes.
Kick the sugar – Commercialised ketchup usually has sugar, so test the sauce before adding some extra sugar.
Extra Flavor – As with all viral recipes, change it by including your favorite seasonings, like a little extra cayenne pepper, curry powder, sweet paprika, chili flakes, or some added hot sauce.
Related Viral Recipes
This incredibly fluffy Japanese milk bread recipe has a perfect golden brown top and fluff inside.
The nutty flavor of beurre noisette is perfect for dialing all those recipes to chef level.
Looking for a cost-effective meal that is easy for weeknights? Try this Lemon-Dijon Chicken recipe – full of flavor at a great price.
Grape Tanghulu is a fun street food in dessert form!
TikTok Yum Yum Sauce – Tangy and Sweet
- 1 cup real Mayo
- ⅓ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2-3 tbsp water as needed
- In a small mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, white sugar, ketchup, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika and rice vinegar. Whisk well.
- Add melted butter and whisk until smooth and combined.
- Thin mixture with water as desired and to reach the consistency you would like for sauce/dressing.
- Serve yum yum sauce immediately or refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
Nutritional Disclaimer: The nutritional data provided here is auto-calculated and intended for your convenience only. As it’s generated via automation, its accuracy may be compromised. For precise nutritional insight, please compute the values utilizing the actual ingredients in your recipe through your chosen nutrition calculator or application.