Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole can be prepped the night before a busy holiday, like Christmas or Thanksgiving, or easily put together in 5 minutes. Delicious and rich, you will love this cinnamon roll bake that can be made with almost any refrigerated roll flavor – making it your own.
Totally rich, kid friendly and fun, and a great take on cinnamon roll monkey bread, this cinnamon roll french toast casserole bake is SO simple to prepare and is incredibly delicious.
What I love about this cinnamon roll bake is that most ingredients you probably have in your home and can easily be customized with changing out the cinnamon roll flavors.
Best At Home Cinnamon Roll Flavors
So lets talk about cinnamon roll flavors. My family gets at home cinnamon rolls all the time and they are a favorite of mine to make on a slow Saturday morning.
There are hoards of kinds now – from Cinnabon to Orange Rolls, Strawberry to seasonal, you do not have to go with traditional French Toast Casserole anymore.
For this recipe, we changed up the original recipe we were inspired by, and used Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls.
These Pumpkin Spice cinnamon rolls were a wonderful fall flavor take on this recipe and perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas mornings with a slight pumpkin spice and seasonal flavoring to the recipe.
The only thing you need to consider with this recipe is that a lot of cinnamon roll casserole bakes take into the fact that the cinnamon rolls are normal sized and quite a few brands produce these huge dense and fluffy rolls.
The bigger the roll, the longer it may take to bake, so you may have to adjust your timing if you add additional cut up rolls or flavors that have more ounces in the can.
You can find these flavors (and others) in your refrigerated section at the store- just make sure what you buy has icing in the can.
- Orange Rolls
- Hot Cocoa Rolls
- Strawberries and Cream
- Cinnamon Rolls
- Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls
Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole
Our Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole, or in this case, Pumpkin Spice Toast Casserole, takes no time at all to make and needs a few simple ingredients.
This recipe is slightly adapted from Pillsbury.
- Butter – with salt or without salt is fine
- 2 cans of Refrigerated Rolls – pick your favorite flavor, keep in mind the larger rolls are thicker and take longer to bake
- 6 Eggs
- Whipping Cream – I get heavy whipping cream for all my recipes, not half and half
- Spices – Vanilla, Cinnamon
- Nuts – We used Pecans, walnuts is also fine. You can skip nuts if you want, but the crunch is nice.
- Syrup – Store bought pancake maple syrup works perfect
- 13 x 9 baking dish
*see full printable recipe for more detailed baking instructions*
RELATED RECIPES: Amish Breakfast Casserole, Sausage Hash Brown Casserole, Biscuits and Gravy Casserole, Cinnamon Apple Breakfast Bake, Strawberry French Toast Casserole, Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole, Ham Hash browns
How To Make Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole
Preheat – Preheat to 375 and prepare your pan by melting down the butter in it
Add Ingredients – Add your ingredients, starting with your cinnamon rolls, and then pour your egg mixture (eggs, vanilla, whipping cream mixed together) over the top.
Add maple syrup and nuts.
Bake and Enjoy – Bake till done, takes around 30-35 minutes, and then top with powdered sugar.
Make Night Before
While I have not made cinnamon roll french toast casserole the night before, I am pretty positive this could easily be prepped the night before on like a pre-holiday evening and popped in the oven the next morning.
That being said, it only takes about 5 minutes to prepare as it is, so I am not sure there is much of an advantage of making this casserole before hand.
Just takes up space in your fridge.
(this is pre-baked casserole with raw egg prior to oven)
Breakfast Recipe Options
Need more breakfast recipe options?
Hey, we all enjoy eating breakfast recipes that are not cereal.
- Southern Fried Apples
- Fried Breakfast Potatoes
- Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- Blueberry Cake Donuts
- Orange Bread with Orange Glaze
Serving Cinnamon Roll French Toast Bake
Once you take your casserole out o f the oven, let it cool down briefly, for 10-15 minutes.
Then remove the metal top that typically comes on your roll icing and pop the plastic container only in the microwave and melt down about 10 seconds so it can be easily poured.
Add to your cinnamon french toast bake in a sweeping motion and then, if you want, add on powdered sugar.
Serve the whole thing with extra icing or maple syrup so you can efficiently go into a sugar coma.
(this is fully baked breakfast casserole with melted icing)
- 1/2 stick melted butter
- 2 cans of refrigerated cinnamon rolls (12-15 oz)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Vanilla Flavoring
- 1 cup Chopped Pecan Pieces
- 1 cup Pancake Syrup
- First, preheat your oven to 375
- Melt butter down in microwave and pour into your glass 9 x13 pan. If you use a smaller pan, like a 9x11, just make sure your rolls are not too thick that they wont bake properly.
- Cut each roll into 8 pieces ( 2 cans worth)
- Place into the casserole dish on top of melted butter
- In a bowl, beat eggs, spices, whipping cream and vanilla.
- Pour egg mixture over cinnamon rolls in dish.
- Now top with 1 cup of maple syrup and top with nuts
- Bake in oven for as little as 25 or as much as 40 minutes. The trick here is to make sure your rolls are cooked in the center without burning your tops of the casserole or drying out the rolls. Our gas oven and slightly thicker (17 oz) rolls, took 35 minutes total.
- Pull out and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Melt down icing from rolls (make sure you remove the metal lid) in the microwave for 10 seconds.
- Pour onto casserole.
- Serve while warm - can be served with powdered sugar, extra icing, or extra maple syrup.
A longer pan will help the casserole not be too thick and cook properly, but if you are forced to use a 9x11 pan, just make sure you remove some rolls so its not as thick or cook longer.
Recipe adapted from Pillsbury
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 265Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 114mgSodium: 142mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.