Unstuffed cabbage roll casserole is a delicious combination of ground beef, fresh cabbage, white rice, and the perfect blend of seasonings.
This recipe is just like stuffed traditional cabbage rolls; however, you get all the flavors without any of the work!
Why you will love making Cabbage Casserole!
Super Filling– Casserole recipes are one of the best ways to use up household ingredients and cook for a crowd. This dish is a delicious addition to any monthly menu and provides good leftovers.
Family Favorite – There really are only so many chicken nuggets and fries that we can all eat, but no fear – this weeknight meal recipe is sure to become a family dinner favorite at a budget price. And if you love cabbage recipes, this will give you another amazing side dish option.
Plus, unstuffed cabbage casserole is also the perfect recipe for using up leftover beef and giving it new life again.
- ground beef
- diced yellow onion
- fresh green cabbage, chopped
- tomato sauce
- uncooked white rice
- seasonings – garlic powder, kosher salt, paprika, thyme, ground black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- beef broth
How to make Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9×13 baking casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add beef and onion to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat, browning beef and cooking until onion is translucent. Drain grease.
- Add beef mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Stir in cabbage, tomato sauce, uncooked rice, and seasonings, and mix well.
- Pour broth on top and spread evenly into pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil, stir and cover again; bake for another 20 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Get Busy with those Spices!
Every household likes a different flavor or has a favorite spice or seasoning.
Nutmeg, garlic, hot sauce, and Italian seasoning make great choices when deciding what to dig out of the pantry.
Cabbage Casserole Tips
Hearty and filling without adding too many calories, chopped cabbage is one of the best and most underrated vegetables!
To power up the meat, try adding some Worcestershire sauce and minced garlic.
To save time, purchasing pre-chopped or shredded Cabbage or coleslaw works great.
Serve this lazy cabbage rolls recipe with another delicious side dish like mashed potatoes.
Related Casserole Recipes
Our pick for the best vegetable casseroles – Unstuffed mushroom casserole, stuffed bell pepper casserole, and