Cheesy potato casserole, creamy, cheesy, and full of bacon, is THE perfect potato side dish for upcoming holidays and family meals. If you are looking for a potato side dish – we got you! Combining fresh crispy bacon with tons of cheddar cheese, this dish makes for the best starchy side!
After the potatoes are boiled, this Thanksgiving side comes together quickly providing a chunky potato casserole that is easy AND delicious.
Why you will love Cheesy Bacon Potatoes
Feeds a Crowd: This cheesy potato and bacon casserole is perfect for a side dish and a crowd favorite at holidays. The potatoes are so filling, and the bacon adds a nice flavor boost to make this recipe a total win. You can fill out a tray and DIG IN.
Filling Side Dish: A few ingredients in life always incites love at the table. One of those is absolutely potatoes. This potato recipe, complete with layers of delicious cheesy potatoes, is a perfect side dish to keep everyone full and happy. Unlike traditional funeral potatoes, which use hashbrowns and a crumb topping of potato chips, these golden-brown potatoes rely simply on bacon and shredded cheddar cheese for the flavor. No crunch topping needed!
Simple & Easy: The simple flavors of potatoes, bacon, and cheese are all you need for a side dish that bursts. While many casseroles incorporate cream of chicken soup, this recipe needs none of that and relies straight on the robust natural flavors of the spud.
- Red potatoes – This recipe can use any cubed potatoes; however, I love the flavor of red potatoes in this dish. Russet potatoes also hold their shape pretty well if a substitute is needed, however eating the skins isn’t nearly as tasty. If you use Russets, remove the skins. If using red potatoes, leave them.
- Melted butter – Unsalted butter works best, so the dish doesn’t get too salty.
- Seasonings and Herbs: As always, kosher salt & black pepper must make an appearance for a delicious dish. Additionally, parsley (fresh always a plus) brings color and a different homemade taste.
- Sour cream – Instead of a soup, this casserole relies on sour cream for its texture and produces creamy potatoes.
- Shredded cheese – Cheddar cheese or sharp cheddar cheese is the best option for most family gatherings. It’s a crowd-pleaser.
- Bacon – Bacon needs to be already cooked before adding to the dish. One of the best ways to get bacon done quickly is to make bacon in the air fryer. Another great way is to make bacon in the oven.
This recipe is NOT the famous funeral potatoes recipe. That one is entirely different and typically includes frozen hash browns.
How to Make Cheesy Bacon Potato Casserole
Similar to a twice-baked potato recipe, this easy casserole dish is a chunky potato favorite for everyone. I cannot think of any more loved starchy comfort food than potatoes, and it’s one of the best side dish recipes to feed a crowd inexpensively.
Prior to getting started, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and cubed potatoes, and boil just until fork tender.
- Strain cooked potatoes and pour them into a mixing bowl. While potatoes are still warm, add butter so it melts. Similarly, its fine to melt butter and pour over instead.
- Add salt, black pepper, and dried parsley. Stir carefully until potatoes are coated with butter and seasoning.
- Allow potatoes to cool slightly, then mix in the sour cream
- Add two cups of shredded cheddar cheese, and the majority of the cooked crispy bacon. Use spatula and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a greased casserole baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining bacon and additional parsley, if desired.
Casserole Recipe Toppings & Flavor
- Chopped Green Onions make an excellent flavor, texture, and color.
- Sweet yellow onion is easily added. Just dice down about 1/4th onion and mix in with the sour cream before dumping into the prepared baking dish.
- Do you want to spice it up? Add a bit of hot sauce to those fresh potatoes.
- Ranch seasoning is an absolute favorite for some delicious party potatoes. Just add it to the potatoes with bacon before baking. Serve up this recipe as ranch potatoes with family dinners!
Related Potato Side Dish Recipes
- Let me turn you onto one of the best potato dishes (breakfast recipes) there is! Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole. Absolutely 5-star flavor. Truly one of Salty Side Dish’s favorite recipes!
- Most everyone in the world has tried mashed potatoes, but take mashed sweet potatoes out for a spin!
- A fantastic use for extra red potatoes are throwing them into the crock pot and making up a simple broth filled red potatoes and onions.
- Talking about cheesy potatoes, these slow cooker gouda potatoes are really just about the cheesiest and most rich cheese side dish EVER.
- You wont believe these viral parmesan roasted potatoes. This is one we make in our home every time we have guests. A tried and true recipe when it comes to solid side dish recipes.
- I would be remiss not to mention smashed creamer potatoes smothered in butter.
Connect with Us!
If you try this recipe, please leave a review in the comment section – Your review helps others and is appreciated. Ensure you never miss a new side dish recipe by following us on Pinterest and signing up for our recipe email list!
Comments & Reviews
Jen Preston says
What kind of cheese do you use for this cheesy potato recipe?
Your favorite kind!
You have this under a link to slow cooker recipes, but it is not a slow cooker recipe….
I checked, its not in slow cooker on my end. Its in “casseroles” and side dishes. I am not 100% sure why its showing for you in slow cooker.