Cheesy onion dip with chunks of real sweet onions and loads of cheese is a perfect balance between a slight onion crunch and a creamy cheese pull. Served up with bits of french bread slices or toasted baguettes, this onion dip is a great addition to a trio of appetizers as something unique and different for your next get-together.
There is no doubt that dip recipes are probably the most important finger food of any potluck, picnic or holiday recipe menu. Layers of gooey cheese and ways to snack before the main dish meal is about the only thing that keeps everyone’s fingers busy before the real deal.
Personally, I like a variety of recipe options so I always serve ricotta dip, cherry cheesecake dip, and chocolate chip dip as part of my spread.
This not-so-ordinary dip has the perfect bold flavors of an onion balanced with melty cheese that will delight the onion lovers in your group.
Plus, with super simple and readily available ingredients, this dip is also cost effective to make and won’t break the bank.
Baked Onion Dip Ingredients
Unlike other cold onion dips that are mainly meant as a chip dip, this onion dip is hot, baked, and melty. Plus, this dip isn’t made with powered onion but rather real bold and beautiful fresh onions giving the freshest and best taste.
- Onions: There are a variety of onions, white, purple and yellow sweet onions. Because this onion dip is loaded with chopped onions, its best to use the sweet yellow onions. Yellow onions also become even sweeter the longer they bake in the oven, making them the ideal choice for a dip.
- Cheese: Shredded Swiss and Gruyere . Typically you can find these cheese mixes pre-shredded in a bag and already combined.
- Real mayonnaise
- Seasonings: garlic powder, salt, pepper
- Chopped green onions – One tip I can say is that I purchase green onions in a bunch, use them for a recipe, and then add the roots in a glass full of water. Those green onions will continue to reproduce and grow for ALL your recipes! I love having green onions on hand.
What Cheese goes Well with Onions?
If you think of typical recipes like Grilled cheese with caramelized onions or French onion soup, typically white bold cheeses like Swiss are the best choices and most complementary to a recipe with onions.
That is not to say you shouldn’t experiment with other cheese choices because I think white cheddar would also be worth the try.
How to make Onion Dip
Simply combine all the ingredients, spread the dip in an oven safe casserole dish and bake! You will find that this dip will have some oil from the cheese and mayo ingredients rise to the top. This is totally normal in the baking process.
One suggestion that isn’t present in this dip recipe is to add an additional TOP layer of golden cheese prior to baking and I plan on doing that myself in future renditions of this dip.
What dippers to serve with Onion Dip
Traditionally I like cut baguettes that are are either served as their natural state (soft bread) or crisped up on the oven. Typically you can find the already crispy baguette pieces in containers near the bakery in most stores.
Other options are pretty much any vegetable that has a base to dip like sliced green onions, carrots and celery.
Taking it one step further, try making the onion dip or serving in a bread bowl for a dipper that can be torn off and dipped right into the onion dip.
More Dip Recipes
Need more Dip recipes to serve up?
Cheesy Baked Onion Dip
- 2 cups sweet onion - chopped
- 1-1/2 cups shredded swiss & gruyere mixed cheese
- 2 cups real mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- green onions - chopped, topping
- for serving: French bread slices - toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a nonstick baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add chopped onion, shredded cheese, real mayonnaise, garlic powder, salt and pepper to a bowl and mix well.
- Spread onion mixture into prepared baking casserole dish.
- Bake onion dip for 30 minutes. The cheese should be completely melted and onions will sweeten slightly in the heat.
- Let dip stand for 5 minutes and serve warm with French bread slices.