Steel Magnolias Cuppa Cuppa Cuppa Cake is a three ingredient movie viral dessert recipe that requires no box cake mix.
Typically attributed to Dolly Parton, this old-fashioned fruit cocktail cake recipe pairs with vanilla ice cream for a super simple and southern dish that grandma used to make.
Where did this Cuppa Cuppa Cake come from?
This cuppa cuppa cake’s original recipe came from the movie Steel Magnolias; however, it came across our feed after being shared and went viral on TikTok, and we knew we had to try Truvys (played by Dolly Parton) infamous fruit cocktail cake.
This cake is named a “cuppa flour, cuppa sugar, and cuppa fruit cocktail.” After testing it twice, we realized that the only way to make it is with SELF RISING flour and not regular flour.
Would we make this Viral Cuppa Cuppa Cake again? Probably not.
It’s not really even a cake, it’s more like a cobbler, and it’s dense and rich.
Mine also didn’t get “gold and bubbly” but just gold. I don’t see how it can bubble when it’s a cake. That being said, it’s fun to try as a novelty and works just fine with a side of vanilla ice cream for your sweet tooth.
- Self-rising flour – You absolutely have to use self-rising flour, I know, because the first one I made, I used all-purpose flour, and it didn’t turn out at all!
- granulated white sugar
- fruit cocktail with juices – After some research, there has been some debate on whether or not to use heavy syrup or juice, but we feel that it doesn’t overly matter since we found references online that used both, and both turned out.
- Vanilla ice cream is optional for serving but recommended as this cake recipe isn’t overly sweet.
How to make Fruit Cocktail Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine self-rising flour, granulated sugar, and fruit cocktail with liquid in a mixing bowl. Mix cake batter well.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake for 50-60 minutes or until edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cuppa cake stand to cool a bit. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream.
Have you never seen Steel Magnolias? It’s a must-see movie!
About Movie: Six divas of the silver screen – Sally Field, Dolly Parton, Shirley MacLaine, Daryl Hannah, Olympia Dukakis, and Julia Roberts – come together as bosom buddies in this hilarious and heartwarming story of life, love, and loss in a small Louisiana parish.
- Because everyone loves the cherries in fruit cocktail, grab an extra jar and add it to the cake before cooking.
- Top with a bit of flaked coconut.
- Add teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Adding frosting might seem weird with a fruit cocktail, so drizzle on a little brown sugar and pecans for added sweetness to this hot cake.
Related Viral Dessert Recipes
- Fried Dessert Samosas filled with Nutella!
- If you love fruit, this nature’s cereal recipe may just be what you need to start your day!
- Homemade cosmic brownie recipe to make these childhood treats right from your kitchen.
- You won’t believe how delicious this Oreo Bundt Cake Recipe is!
- Did you know that you can make a creme brulee recipe with ice cream?
Get a 1 1/2 quart baking dish on Amazon here! This is a common baking dish size and is needed in tons of recipes.
- Simple ingredient marshmallow fluff recipe – from toppings to dips, this is a great recipe to ensure you have marshmallow fluff anytime you need it.
- College friendly and super quick, this Oreo Mug Cake Recipe is another super fun way to make a viral cake.
- Ketchup in a cake.
- Memorial weekend is perfect for trying out this strawberry poke cake recipe! YUM!