There is nothing more delicious than homemade French Hot Chocolate.
Starting with real chocolate (not cocoa powder) and coconut creme, this viral ‘thicc’ French Hot Chocolate is perfect to pair with a good book and a great view. Incredible decadent, you will enjoy sipping every last drop (even if you’re not in Paris!).
Why you should make this Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe
This hot chocolate has a velvety texture over other hot drinks like hot cocoa. The thickness of the coconut creme and real chocolate can never be substituted by powder and hot water!
While this beverage is a sweeter drink, the simple ingredients make it a clear winner when it comes to hot chocolate drinks.
And is there anything BETTER than drinking chocolate? No, there is not!
Viral TikTok Hot Chocolate
If you are a chocolate lover, you will love this recipe that we initially saw on TikTok with creator @wholesomehedonista . We had to dissect this one down into an easy-to-follow recipe, and overall, very pleased with the inspiration and resulting recipe.
See the original viral TikTok video recipe below.
- dark chocolate chunks or chocolate bar – The key to any recipe that uses chocolate is to start with good quality chocolate. Dark chocolate, unlike milk chocolate, is considered bittersweet chocolate. It is also fine to use dark chocolate chips for quicker melting.
- unsweetened coconut cream (thick part on top of chilled coconut milk) – see below for clarification of coconut cream.
- maple syrup – Instead of using granulated sugar or brown sugar, this
- instant coffee – Coffee does not add any coffee flavor. It just enhances the chocolate flavors.
- Flavor: vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon
- Milk – Regular white milk helps thin out some of that thick melted chocolate and creme but if you want an even richer taste it’s fine to substitute with heavy whipping cream.
- Optional Topping Ideas: Whipped Cream, Chocolate Shavings, Powdered sugar or a Peppermint stick stirrer.
How to make French Hot Chocolate
- Combine quality bittersweet chocolate, coconut cream, maple syrup, coffee, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and milk (or heavy cream) in a small saucepan.
- Heat over low heat, whisking frequently until melted and combined.
- Continue to heat until warm.
- Pour creamy chocolate into mugs and top with whipped topping, if desired, before serving.
Various Topping Ideas for Brie
- Drizzle of Honey would go fabulous with these combined flavors.
- A squeeze of fresh lemon or a sprinkle of lemon zest would not only brighten up a dish on display but pair amazingly with sweet blueberries.
- Substitute Pecans with Walnuts or Pistachios – both nuts are complementary for a dish like this and can mix up the options for later recipe enjoyment.
How to get Coconut Cream
Please refer to the photo below to see the coconut cream in a can of coconut milk.
Coconut Cream is hard and thick. I had my can of coconut milk in the fridge and then opened and scraped off/out the chunks of the cream on top. It looks unappetizing but melts just fine.
Make Dairy Free Hot Chocolate
To make this one dairy-free (like the original TikTok recipe), substitute milk with any combination of Almond milk, coconut milk, or oat milk!
Related Viral Dessert Recipes
- Once you find out you can air fry a cookie, dessert will never be the same.
- Serve this hot chocolate with a side of Chocolate Oreo Bundt Cake.
- Move over coffee dalgona, this summer deserves a strawberry dalgona recipe
- If you think those airplane Biscoff cookies hit the spot, wait until you dive into this Biscoff Cake Recipe.
- College students rejoice – now making an oreo mug cake in your dorm room has never been easier.
- Salty and Sweet, this appetizer recipe is just published —-> Baked Brie and Honey
Leave A Reply!