Looking for a new TikTok Food Trend? TikTok grated eggs on top of avocado toast are this year’s latest fanfare.
And with over 11 million people wondering if this recipe works, we set out to answer if grated eggs were worth the social media hype.
Why you should make this TikTok Trend
Fluffy boiled eggs look like grated cheese and work perfectly for a light but tasty layer on toast. Incredible good, the simple prep work of grating (over slicing) layers egg cleanly and evenly on top of the avocado. If you want a melt-in-your-mouth breakfast, avocado toast is it.
While grated eggs may not be your go-to breakfast temptation, this TikTok viral recipe trend is worth the hype in our opinion.
Mixing up a familiar ingredient in a new way helps break up the monotony of recipes and gives you something new and unique. We stan.
Where did grating eggs start?
Honestly – not sure. This FYP video has been seen everywhere, and we initially were inspired by TikTok creator @zzzachariah, who was also trying it for himself. He’s a great content creator, so check out his infectious and fun videos.
- Toast – Premake toast to prep for eggs. Use any bread you like, but I prefer a long bread like an Italian slice if its in the house.
- Real mayonnaise – For the creamiest breakfast sandwich, use real mayo.
- Ripe Avocado – Slice ripe avocados into thin sandwich-friendly sizes.
- Hard-boiled egg – as noted below, boiled eggs should be pre-made and cold.
- Toppings: hot sauce, optional
How to make Grated Egg Toast with Avocado
- Spread mayonnaise on toast or crusty bread.
- Add avocado on toast.
- Gently grate egg onto toast and top with hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve this breakfast trend immediately.
What grater to use to grate eggs?
Use Microplane cheese graters to get the best results. Here is a super popular Microplane grater on Amazon that works great for this recipe.
- Use a micro-grater as we did for the perfect Instagram-worthy toast breakfast. Larger graters (like the kind you use for taco cheese) are not as fluffy.
- Eggs should be hard-boiled and cold. If you intend to eat grated eggs as breakfast, it’s best to pre-boil eggs, peel, and let set in the fridge to chill. Warm eggs won’t grate.
- Dust toast with chili flakes, Everything bagel seasoning, dollops of chili sauce, shredded cheese, or salsa for extra flavor.
- Drizzle this dish with a little bit of flavor! This Sriracha Aioli recipe is perfect!
What can grated eggs be served on?
- Toast – This Egg avocado toast idea takes grated hard-boiled egg into the fanciest looking hard-boiled egg breakfast ever, and all you need is bread. Air fryer biscuits work great too!
- Hamburger (same as using runny eggs for that steak and eggs taste)
- Salad – Skip the sliced boiled eggs and try grated eggs as extra flavor or simple topper on chicken kale salad.
I have read some reviews stating that some people had a mild sense of disappointment, but I disagree. While you need to have COLD boiled eggs on hand, the fluffy eggs with optional sauce bring avocado toast to a whole new tastebud dancing level.
With so many classic egg recipes, this TikTok recipe is a breath of fresh air. Grated egg avocado toast IS delicious and a fun food idea that we can get behind – even if it requires thinking ahead for cold eggs.
Related Viral Recipes
- The best French Hot Chocolate recipe has coffee in it too!
- Love eating fancy? Try brie and pistachios in the best out-of-this-world appetizer.
- Cream Cheese Dip? Yes Please!
- I never knew there were so many ways to eat viral chicken – try air fryer chicken thighs or this Italian Chicken Cutlets recipe to start off your week.