Creamy Mexican salad, also known as Ensalada de pollo, with potatoes, chicken, and a creamy base, is a fantastic and delicious side dish recipe that suits so many summer dishes.
Perfect for eating as a complement to a burger or chicken sandwich, this dish is also just as delicious piled high on tostadas, as a filling for tacos, or stuffed in lettuce wraps.
Why you will love making Mexican Chicken Salad
Unlike other traditional chicken salad recipes, this dish doesn’t just focus on proteins. Stuffed with delicious vegetables, the light, and creamy dressing gives the salad the perfect balance.
Great to serve with pasta salads or fruit salads, this refreshing potato salad recipe will make the mayo hater in you still gobble up every bite. Full of flavor and packed with simple ingredients, this Fiesta party favorite balances tex-mex flavors that can be easily adapted.
- potatoes – yellow potatoes or Russet potatoes
- frozen but thawed diced carrots and peas
- frozen sweet corn – thawed
- real mayonnaise
- sour cream
- lime juice
- jalapeno brine
- boneless skinless chicken breast cooked cubed
- salt and pepper
How to make Ensalada de Pollo
BOIL POTATOES FIRST
- Place potatoes into a large saucepan and cover with water, making sure the water is at least 1″ above the potatoes. Generously season the water with salt. Heating over medium-high heat, boil the potatoes, cooking for about 8 minutes once they come to a boil or until tender when a fork is inserted in them. Drain tender potatoes and set aside.
- If necessary, thaw frozen vegetables by cooking according to package directions. Drain excess water and set aside.
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, jalapeno brine, potatoes, mixed vegetables, and chicken together in a large mixing bowl.
- The potatoes will be warm and help meld the flavors together. Generously season with salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken mixture warm or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Can Rotisserie chicken be used in Mexican potato salad?
Like any classic chicken salad recipe or pasta dish featuring chicken, Rotisserie chicken is a fantastic quick hack to cut out the timing on a recipe.
Is this dish potato salad or chicken salad?
Yes. It’s both really – full of flavors, textures, and rich and creamy ingredients; this simple dish can be used as more of a filling, served on crackers, or served as a side dish.
Ensalada de papa means more of a potato-only dish.
Not everyone loves mayo, so we find that Greek Yogurt while lacking in a bit of the flavor we personally enjoy, makes a fine substitute.
Toppings can include fresh cilantro, green onions, and a dusting of extra black pepper. I also love lime wedges alongside any Mexican recipe I am serving, including this Mexican Chicken Salad recipe.
Fresh Veggies or Frozen?
Either way, it doesn’t matter, but the vegetables should be cooked through, which makes frozen a much easier way to assemble.
How to serve Mexican Chicken Salad
- As a side to dinners like Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Thighs
- With homemade tortilla chips or tostadas
- bed of lettuce or on a sandwich
- In a taco
- As part of an appetizer spread with layered taco dip
How to store leftover salad
Store any leftover chicken salad in an airtight container for up to 3 days.