Warm red potato salad with no mayo with a lemon, herb, and olive oil dressing is a lighter take on a German potato salad with still that warm delicious herb taste.
The key to this recipe is simply to get those potatoes boiled, add all the delicious flavor and let “salad” cool down for proper serving. There are no heavy mayo, mustards, eggs or “creamy” ingredients to smother the potatoes, instead relying on letting the flavor of the red potato really shine through.
Warm Potato Salad Ingredients
Below are the ingredients to make this lemon and herb potato side. No mayo, no egg, this is a great alternative to creamy salads. Please scroll to the bottom of the post for a printer friendly version of this with full step by step instructions.
- 3 lbs. red potatoes – just grab a bag of the small red potatoes
- white vinegar
- lemon – fresh lemons are always amazing in recipes because you get the zest as well as the juice
- ground pepper
- olive oil
- white onion – finely chop the onion down
- dry thyme
- dry parsley
- dry chives
How to make Potato Salad without Mayo
I think its super easy to only thing cold potato salad when thinking of potato salad recipes at all. But the truth is that not all hot potato side dishes need to be roasted or oven baked.
This warm lemon and herb potato salad with delicious red potatoes is a fantastic alternative (much like a German Potato Salad) to traditional cold side dishes with fresh and satisfying chunks of potatoes wrapped up in the best of seasonings.
Prepping Potatoes – Boiling
- In a large stock pot, add cut up potatoes, water, vinegar and 1 tablespoon salt.
- Make sure water is at least 1″ above the potatoes.
- Bring stock pot to a boil over high heat.
- Continue to boil potatoes, for about 10-12 minutes, or until they are just tender. Be careful not to over boil the potatoes or they will fall apart and not hold up as a potato salad well.
- Drain water and spread potatoes onto a baking sheet.
- Set baking sheet aside.
Why use a sheet pan over a bowl for this potato salad recipe?
It’s so much easier to spread the dressing over all potatoes well as flip potatoes without crushing the cubes.
Prep Lemon & Herb Dressing
In a small bowl, combine zest and juice of 1 lemon, 1 teaspoon salt, ground pepper and olive oil and whisk gently until combined.
Add minced down onion, thyme, parsley and chives and mix again well.
Combine Dressing & Red Potatoes
Drizzle lemon herb dressing mixture over red potatoes, taking care to cover all areas of potatoes on the pan, and carefully toss to coat in the oil. I find that using a metal spatula works great for this.
Let dish set to cool for about and flip one more time before serving to gather any settled oil.
Serve this potato salad warm or at room temperature.
Warm Red Potato Salad without Mayo
- 3 lbs. red potatoes - cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt - plus 1 teaspoon seperate
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup onion - chopped into very tiny pieces
- 1 tablespoon dry thyme
- 1 tablespoon dry parsley
- 1 teaspoon dry chives
- Before getting started, cut (but do not peel) red potatoes into 1 inch pieces.
- In a large stock pot, add cut up red potatoes, water, white vinegar and 1 tablespoon salt.
- Make sure water is at least 1" above the red potatoes for proper boiling.
- Bring stock pot up to a boil over high heat.
- Continue to boil potatoes, for about 10-12 minutes, or until potatoes tender. Be careful not to overboil potatoes or they can fall a part and become mushy. They should be soft enough to eat but firm enough to retain shape.
- Drain water out of pot and spread red potatoes onto a baking sheet. Set the baking sheet pan aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the herbs and spices – this includes zest of lemon, juice of 1 lemon, 1 teaspoon salt, ground pepper and olive oil and whisk until combined.
- Immediately add tiny chopped onion, thyme, parsley and chives and mix well again.
- Drizzle lemon and herb dressing over red potatoes and toss to coat as much of the potato as possible.
- Let pieces of red potatoes set to cool and flip one more time before serving.
- This potato salad can be served warm or room temperature for best flavor.