Pizza lovers, rejoice! The cheesy, creamy, pepperoni goodness that we all CRAVE has been reinvented, and it’s called Pepperoni Pizza Dip. This crowd-favorite has all the great baked-and-bubbly cheese flavor that you want from your favorite pie, but without the heavy after-effects of all that crust! Plus, this dip is as adaptable as its predecessor, so whether you’re into meat-lover’s or veggie supreme, this dip will deliver.
Cheesy Baked Pizza Dip is sure to be a hit at your next get-together (think game-night, holiday party, even book club). But Pizza Dip isn’t just the ultimate party appetizer; it’s also perfect for those put-on-your-pjs-and-binge-watch-Netflix nights.
Not only is this Pizza Dip delicious, it comes together in just 30 minutes, which is really good considering you’ll want to make it over and over again!
- Cream cheese: I use any brick-style cream cheese, either original or low-fat, my favorite brand being Philadelphia. This needs to be left out on the counter and softened 15-20 minutes prior to make for easy mixing.
- Italian seasoning: if you don’t have Italian seasoning, you can make your own with 2 parts each dried basil, oregano and parsley, 1 part each rosemary and red chili flakes, and ½ part garlic powder.
- Ground black pepper – You may notice that I have not added salt to this recipe next to pepper. The ingredients already contain quite a bit of salt, therefore adding extra salt to the dish may make it too salty so resist the urge.
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese – Freshly shredded Parmesan is my go to.
- Pizza sauce: I prefer Ragu Homemade Style or Rao’s Homemade Pizza Sauce.
- Mini pepperoni: Mini is key here because it makes dipping much easier. It is also fine to use spicy or turkey pepperoni if you can find the mini version.
- Fresh basil: rough chopped
How to make Easy Pepperoni Pizza Dip
Make sure to check out the printable recipe card for full step by step instructions and ingredients.
Recipe Prep: Preheat the oven to 375 and grease a 2-1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add Cream cheese to a bowl.
- Add Italian Seasoning & pepper to a bowl.
- Add dried garlic to a bowl.
- Add Shredded Mozzarella Cheese to a bowl.
- Add Shredded Parmesan cheese on top.
- Mix together cream cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, pepper, and cheeses in a mixing bowl.
- Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Add pizza sauce on top and spread evenly.
- Top with mini pepperoni pieces.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until edges begin to bubble and dip is hot. Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil before serving if desired.
Can this recipe be frozen?
No – most recipes that include dairy run the risk of separation and therefore we do not recommend freezing this recipe.
While my go-to dippers with this Pizza Dip is pita chips, there are so many other options that would work really well. Choose a bread or cracker that isn’t going to fall apart in all that gooey-goodness, like toasted baguette slices, toasted bagels, or even breadsticks. Ritz crackers, pretzels, or bagel chips would also be great for dipping, too.
On the off chance that there is ANY Pizza Dip leftover, wrap the dish in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 5 days. To reheat, bake at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes or until warmed throughout.
This recipe is slow cooker friendly and you can definitely make this dip using a crockpot. Mix all your ingredients except for the basil together in your crockpot and cook on high for 1 to 1 ½ hours, stirring once about halfway through the cooking to ensure it all melts together.
It’s easy to want to prep dips ahead of time, however, this dip requires softened cream cheese and it would re-harden back up in the fridge. You can assemble it following the instructions, however it must sit on the counter about 20 minutes prior to baking in order to re-soften the cream cheese.
Any jarred pizza sauce will work for this dip.
Just like regular pizza, Pizza Dip is totally adaptable. Here are some of my favorite dip spinoffs:
Hawaiian-Style Pizza Dip – Substitute sliced ham for the pepperoni and add well-drained pineapple cubes after removing dip from the oven.
Meat Lover’s Pizza Dip – Keep the pepperoni and also add sausage and sliced ham.
Veggie Supreme Pizza Dip – Leave out the meat and instead add onions, green peppers, and mushrooms. Bake as normal, then top with thinly-sliced black olives.
- There are a few different ways to soften cream cheese. The easiest way is to simply leave your cream cheese on the counter and let it soften naturally for about a half hour, but if you’re forgetful like me you may want a faster option. You can also leave the cheese in it’s foil wrapper and place it in a bowl of warm/hot water (around 100 degrees F works well) for up to 15 minutes. The fastest way to soften cream cheese is in the microwave. Unwrap the cheese completely and microwave on a plate on high at 10 sec intervals, flipping the block until it becomes soft.
Serving tip – serve this dip in a round pie plate, baking dish or single servings are adorable in ramekins. Adjust timing in the oven as needed.
If you love this Pizza Dip, check out some of my other all-time favorite party appetizers:
- Crockpot Cheeseburger Dip
- Garlic Parmesan Pizza Rolls
- Baked Ricotta Dip
- Pomodori Bruschette
- Feta Cheese Dip
- Hot Caprese Dip
Connect with Us!
Pepperoni Pizza Dip
- 2 bricks - 8 oz. each, cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 small package - 5 oz. mini pepperoni
- chopped fresh basil - optional for garnish
- garlic and parmesan pita chips or other chips for serving
- Before getting started, cream cheese should be softened by leaving on the counter for about 15-20 minutes. This allows for an easier mixing since cream cheese is hardened from the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 375 and grease a 2-1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix together cream cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, black pepper, and both cheeses, Parmesan and Mozzarella, in a mixing bowl.
- Spread cream cheese mixture evenly into prepared pan.
- Add any flavor of your favorite marinara or pizza sauce on top and spread evenly.
- Top with mini pepperoni pieces.
- Bake pizza dip for 20 minutes or until edges begin to bubble and dip is hot.
- Sprinkle top with chopped fresh basil before serving if desired.