Pizza lovers, rejoice!
The cheesy, creamy pepperoni goodness that we all CRAVE has been reinvented. Pepperoni dip is a crowd-favorite appetizer with all the great baked-and-bubbly cheese flavor you get from pizza but without the heavy after-effects of all that crust!
This dip is as adaptable as its predecessor, so whether you’re into meat-lovers or veggie supreme, it will deliver on game days.
Why you will love this Appetizer Dip
Cheesy Baked Pizza Dip with loads of mini pepperonis is sure to be a hit at your next get-together (think game-night, holiday party, even book club). But Pizza Dip isn’t just the ultimate party appetizer recipe; it’s also perfect for those put-on-your-pjs-and-binge-watch-Netflix nights.
Not only is this Pizza Dip delicious, but it also comes together in just 30 minutes, which is really good considering you’ll want to make it over and over again!
- Cream cheese: I use any brick-style cream cheese, either original or low-fat, my favorite brand being Philadelphia cream cheese. This must be left out on the counter and softened 15-20 minutes before making for easy mixing.
- Italian seasoning: if you don’t have Italian seasoning, you can make your own with two parts each dried basil, oregano, and parsley, 1 part each rosemary and red chili flakes, and ½ part garlic powder.
- Ground black pepper– You may notice that I have not added salt to this recipe next to pepper. The ingredients already contain quite a bit of salt; therefore, adding extra salt to the dish may make it too salty, so resist the urge.
- Types of Cheese – Mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese– Freshly shredded Parmesan is my go-to.
- Pizza sauce: I prefer Ragu Homemade Style or Rao’s Homemade Pizza Sauce.
- Mini pepperoni slices: Mini pepperoni is key here because it makes dipping much easier. It is also fine to use spicy or turkey pepperoni if you can find the mini version.
- Fresh basil: rough chopped
- Dippers – Of course, you will need something to dip into that pizza dip. We recommend tortilla chips, corn chips, pita chips, or fresh homemade garlic bread.
How to make Pepperoni Dip
Recipe Prep: Preheat the oven to 375 and grease a 2-1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Before starting, cream cheese should be softened by leaving it on the counter for about 15-20 minutes. This allows for an easier mixing since cream cheese is hardened from the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 375 and grease a 2-1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix together cream cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, black pepper, and both kinds of cheese, Parmesan and Mozzarella, in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Spread cream cheese mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Add any flavor of your favorite marinara or pizza sauce on top and spread evenly.
- Top cream cheese dip with mini pepperoni pieces.
- Bake pizza dip for 20 minutes or until cheese layer edges begin to bubble and the dip is hot.
- Sprinkle top of pepperoni dip with chopped fresh basil or green onions if desired.
Can pepperoni dip recipe be frozen?
No – most recipes that include dairy run the risk of separation, so we do not recommend freezing this recipe.
What to dip in Pizza Dip?
While my go-to dippers with this Pizza Dip are pita chips, there are so many other options that would work really well.
Choose a bread or cracker that isn’t going to fall apart in all that gooey-goodness, like toasted baguette slices, toasted bagels, or even breadsticks. Ritz crackers, pretzels, or bagel chips would also be great for dipping, too.
How do I store and reheat Pizza Dip?
On the off chance that there is ANY Pizza Dip leftover, wrap the dish in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
To reheat, bake at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes or until warm.
Can Pizza Dip be made in a crockpot or slow cooker?
This recipe is slow cooker friendly, and you can definitely make this dip using a crockpot. Mix all your ingredients except the basil in your crockpot and cook on high for 1 to 1 ½ hour, stirring once about halfway through the cooking to ensure it all melts together.
Can pizza dip be made ahead of time?
It’s easy to want to prep dips ahead of time. However, this dip requires softened cream cheese, and it would re-harden back up in the fridge. You can assemble it following the instructions, but it must sit on the counter about 20 minutes before baking to re-soften the cream cheese.
Can I use marinara sauce over pizza sauce?
Any jarred pizza sauce will work for this dip.
Flavor Variations for Pepperoni Dip
Just like regular pizza, Pizza Dip is totally adaptable. Here are some of my favorite dip spinoffs –
- Hawaiian-Style Pizza Dip – Substitute sliced ham for the pepperoni and add well-drained pineapple cubes after removing the dip from the oven.
- Meat Lover’s Pizza Dip – Keep the pepperoni and also add sausage and sliced ham.
- Veggie Supreme Pizza Dip – Leave out the meat and instead add onions, green peppers, and mushrooms. Bake as normal, then top with thinly-sliced black olives.
- Favorite Pizza Toppings – Really, anything you would enjoy on pizza, you will enjoy in a pizza dip recipe! Try topping with pepper flakes, adding green bell pepper, or dusting with onions and black olives. This perfect appetizer is delicious on a movie night, game day, or just simply as an appetizer dip at a party.
How to soften cream cheese for dip recipes.
There are a few different ways to soften cream cheese.
The easiest way is to simply leave your cream cheese on the counter and let it soften naturally for about a half hour, but if you’re forgetful like me, you may want a faster option.
You can also leave the cheese in its foil wrapper and place it in a bowl of warm/hot water (around 100 degrees F works well) for up to 15 minutes.
The fastest way to soften cream cheese is in the microwave. Unwrap the cheese completely and microwave on a plate on high at 10-sec intervals, flipping the block until it becomes soft but NOT melted.
Serving tip – serve this dip in a round pie plate, baking dish, or single servings are adorable in ramekins. Adjust timing in the oven as needed.
Related Dip Recipes
- Having a solid Crockpot Cheeseburger Dip warm dip is a total must! This is a deliciously cheesy, warm dip that is perfect for football games all season long.
- This Garlic Parmesan Pizza Rolls recipe brings the nostalgia from your childhood in a new, more delicious way!
- A Baked Ricotta Dip recipe is a great way to enjoy Italian without the filling nature of pasta.
- Like the viral baked feta pasta recipe, this Feta Cheese Dip Recipe is a perfect take on a dinner to side.
- Hot Caprese Dip
Connect with Us!