2 million people can’t be wrong! It may have been quite a bit back, but the TikTok Air Fryer Pita Chips, crisped up in Zaatar (or pretty much any other seasoning) and fried in the air fryer is the snack of your dreams.
With nothing but pita bread and your favorite seasoning, it takes under 12 minutes to produce a perfect appetizer, snack, or base for a lunch that is homemade and easy peasy.
- 6 Greek Style Pita Bread
- Olive Oil
- Greek or Middle Eastern Seasoning
How to make TikTok Pita Chips
TikTok Air Fryer pita chips are incredibly easy. You can find pita bread in white and wheat and available in most bread and bakery aisles at the store.
A 6 pack of pita bread, cut into bite-sized pieces, will produce a healthy amount of pita chips that are perfect for feeding about 4-6.
Pita is a relatively heavy bread and can be served with a variety of dressings or dips.
- Remove pita bread from the bag and stack all 6 on one another. Cut horizontal and then vertical for bite-sized pita pieces. Place pita bread pieces into a large mixing bowl.
- Slowly drizzle on Extra Virgin Olive Oil and mix onto bread. While there is no particular “amount” just make sure bread is mostly covered and that some oil is on each piece of bread. It does not need to be “soaked.”
- Starting with 1-2 tablespoons, add the desired seasoning to pita bread and mix thoroughly. I recommend taste testing a piece of bread prior to adding on any more seasoning.
- Add half of the pita bread to the air fryer basket. It does not need to be in a single layer. Close the air fryer lid.
- Air fry on 390 degrees and cooking time to 11 minutes.
- After 6 minutes, open and stir up pita bread with tongs or spoon, close lid, and cook up to 4-6 minutes more (checking for desired crispiness).
- Once pita chips are done, remove them carefully and dump them onto a plate. Add the second half of seasoned pita bread to the air fryer and cook; remember to toss halfway between, and remove once desired browning is achieved (total time between 9-11 minutes).
- Store homemade pita chips in an airtight container or ziplock bag without air for keeping.
What seasoning goes best on TikTok Pita Chips?
While TikTok taught us that all you need is pita bread and oil to create the perfect pita bite, seasoning can make all the difference.
One thing to note is that seasoning blends can be heavy in flavor. It’s tempting to pour a TON of seasoning on the pita bread before baking, but it’s best to start with a tablespoon, blend, and add more to taste.
You cannot take away seasoning once it’s on there, so it’s best to add a bit at a time. (ask me how I know…hahaha)
What spices go best on Pita Bread?
Middle Eastern Spices: Some of the original videos we initially saw were from a Palestinian woman who recommended Zaatar and Sumac. Zaatar is a spice commonly used in the middle east and is a blend of spices like oregano, thyme, and cumin. The original video has been deleted from the platform, so we unfortantly no longer have a live link to share.
Greek: There are so many Greek blends available, like Cavender’s, which has all-purpose Greek seasonings combined (which I used in this pita chip recipe, I got my seasoning at Walmart). Spice blends (including Italian Seasoning) can have quite a bit of SALT, so start with a little and then add more as needed.
American: What is more American than ranch seasoning! Grab a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning to mix on pita bread before air frying. Any of your favorite spices (chili powder, garlic powder, pepper flakes, onion powder) complements regular pita bread.
What kind of Dip to serve with Air Fryer Pita Chips?
While these pita chips can certainly be eaten on their own with simply oil and bread, they get addictive once you add some jars of dips!
- Hummus– Hummus comes in great flavors that complement chips like traditional, garlic, and lemon.
- Yogurt– Unflavored Greek yogurt and a bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a simple dip and goes with homemade chips well.
- Chunky Dips – This amazing olive dip tapenade recipe is a great choice.
- Sour Cream– Sour cream is a great simple topping or a sour cream based dip like this boat dip recipe.
- Oil-Based Dips– Just add a bit of oil on a plate with some extra seasoning ( a la Carrabba’s)
- Ranch Dip or Ranch Dressing: Here is our favorite ranch dip recipe
- Tzatziki Dip: This is our recommendation on Pinterest for tzatziki Dip.
How to adjust for Crispy Pita Chips
These TikTok Pita Chips are made from soft pita bread and have a chip-like density.
However, it is still made from bread (not potatoes) and therefore is like a homemade crouton over a hard tortilla chip when describing the crunch. If you want a serious crunch, I recommend cutting the bread down into smaller pita triangles and cooking longer.
Does it matter what Air Fryer Brand?
Personally, we use the Ninja Foodi all in one Air Fryer. It’s an air fryer that pressure cooks, air frys, and bakes all in one, which cuts down on the number of products we need in the pantry.
This recipe will work with nearly any other air fryer brand as long as it has a time and temperature adjustment for perfect crunchy pita chips.
Common Air Fryers
- Ninja Foodi
- Instant Vortex
Latest Viral TikTok Recipes
- Hot Girl Summer Salad
- Cuppa Cake Recipe
- Garlic Bread of the Future
- Sundried Tomato Chicken Pasta
- Nutella S’mores Samosas