Crock Pot Cheesy Corn is a simple no fuss side dish that is a perfect recipe to feed a crowd. Delicious corn and ultra melty cheese will make this rich, creamy corn side dish one that everyone loves!
I don’t know that I consider corn the side dish everyone considers when making a holiday menu (Except for Corn Casserole of course), but its a great one.
Loved by most because its sweet (and pretty), you can really enjoy corn in so many ways.
Its an appetizer, its a dip, its a side dish, and corn often makes appearances in main dishes. Corn is also complimentary to chicken, beef, BBQ, pork and turkey. And what I love about cooking with corn is that it keeps its integrity in flavors, so crock pot slow cooking still works perfectly.
Basically corn is impossible to over cook (hello, creamed corn).
And because this dish is made in the slow cooker, this is also a perfect holiday side dish for Thanksgiving and Christmas, keeping the stove and the oven free and clear for your other dishes.
Crock Pot Cheesy Corn
This cheesy corn with cream cheese is a delicious side dish made for holiday crowds.
No Velveeta Needed for this delicious creamy and smooth corn side dish. Perfect for feeding a crowd, American cheese is a delicious addition to cream cheese, fresh corn, and lots of butter, making an indulgent kid friendly side dish.
- 2 packages, 14 oz each, frozen corn (sometimes stores only carry 12 oz, that is fine)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 4- 6 slices American cheese, ripped into small pieces
Optional Addition Ideas to Spice up your Corn Recipe:
- Diced Jalapenos
- Crunchy Bacon
- Toppings like Corn Flakes or Panko
American Cheese or Velveeta?
A lot of times I get requests for side dishes or recipes that do not include Velveeta.
In this slow cooker cheesy corn, you can use either. I chose to use slices of American cheese, which melt perfectly into the cream cheese.
That being said, if you want your corn extra cheesy, feel free to cube up some Velveeta and toss in!
You really cannot have too much cheese, right? (that answer is no!)
Canned Corn vs Frozen Corn
When cooking in the crock pot, I typically like to use frozen veggies.
Frozen veggies are flash frozen or blanched prior to packaging and have more nutritional value as well as taste a little bit better. I also find the color in frozen to be a lot more appetizing and when serving to a crowd, that matters.
The other reason I prefer frozen is they are less processed, so you typically have less preservatives and salt in them than simply a frozen vegetable.
Slow Cooker Creamy Cheesy Corn
Grease a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
Slow Cooker Tip
I like to just use nonstick cooking spray in my crock pots but you can also get crock pot liners, which work REALLY well. They line the pan and all you have to do is throw it away when done and your crock pot never gets dirty.
Add all remaining ingredients and mix well.
Cover and heat cheesy corn on low, approximately for 3-4 hours, stirring about every hour until melted and mixed through.
Corn Side Dishes
Corn is a favorite in my house and since its not green, my kids don’t usually give me the stink eye over putting it on their plate. If you are looking for more delicious corn recipes, here are some of my favorite ones right here on Salty Side Dish.
- Fiesta Corn Dip – Fiesta Corn dip with Rotel and sour cream, is a delicious large party dip where you and your party guests will enjoy bite after heart bite of creamy and cheesy corn dip. Prepped in 5 minutes, there isn’t an easier dip recipe out there. This cold party dip is also incredibly easy to spice up if you prefer a hotter dip or cool down for the kids.
- Southern Skillet Corn Bread – Southern Skillet Cornbread, a made from scratch homemade cast iron cornbread, that is a low to no sugar cornbread with a light crispy shell. Use as a base for homemade chili, stew, or simply eat with honey butter for a MMMMMM, GOOOD bite every time.
- Homemade Cream Corn – Homemade Cream Corn with fresh Parmesan cheese is a perfect corn side dish that adds a colorful and rich flavor to any of your main dish meals. Indulgent and delicious, you cannot go wrong with this mouthwatering and tasty corn dish as your next favorite way to enjoy this buttery veggie smothered in cheese.
- Crack Corn Dip – Mexican corn dip, also known by “crack corn dip” is a cheesy, melty and delicious way to whip up the perfect Mexican appetizer, and is hands down the BEST dipping side dish you can make. Perfectly balanced medium heat and loads of corn, this is the sweet heat you have been waiting for to dial up your football party!