These perfect fried Baby Blooming Onion bites served up with a homemade dipping sauce of choice are a bite-sized blessing.
These seasoned and breaded little bites using the tiny pearl onion are a take on a traditional fried onion petal that packs excellent flavor in a miniature bite.
Why you will love making Baby Bloomin’ Onions
A fun little appetizer recipe – These little bites of goodness are not only adorably cute but incredibly delicious!
Short a large outback steakhouse bloomin’ onion itself, this viral tiktok appetizer recipe is bite after bite of perfectly seasoned breading and the vibrant taste of an onion.
Easy to grab and serve one by one (or by the handful), bite-sized blooming onions pair with various dipping sauces.
Would we make fried Maui Onions again?
These tiktok mini blooming onions are a delight and one we would make again with a few minor changes. The original recipe was way underseasoned, and these are best (due to the fryer) in having super-seasoned flour.
Get in there and be generous with herbs and spices. Do not be afraid to try other non-suggested spices as well!
Important note on timing:
If you like a harder, crunchy onion, you follow the instructions to flash fry till outside is golden brown, just a few minutes.
If you want a soft onion like an ring onion, it needs lower frying for a longer amount of time – as long as 25 minutes for the “mushy” onion. If you do it too hot the outside could burn, and if you don’t cook them long enough, the onions will be too hard. This is a low and slow fry allowing a cook.
- frozen pearl onions – Thaw frozen onions in a bowl of cold water overnight before making this dish. The cold water helps not only defrost the onions but takes out some of the “bite” of the onion taste. Dry thoroughly before moving on to the breading.
- all-purpose flour
- Seasoning – cayenne pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, and ground black pepper.
- vegetable oil for frying
- Dips – ranch dip recipe or a tiktok yum yum sauce recipe.
How to make Fried Mini Onion Bites
- Remove onions from cold water and drain. Pat dry. Set aside.
- Mix eggs in a shallow bowl. Set egg mixture aside.
- Mix flour and spices in a separate deep bowl and mix.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Dredge onions first into eggs and then into flour mixture. Shake excess flour off the coated onions.
- Place into cooking oil and fry onions for about 25-30 minutes, slow and low, if you want them soft occasionally stirring, until the outer layer crispy and golden brown with a soft and tender onion on the inside. If you want a denser crunchy onion, simply batter the thawed onions and flash fry till the outside is golden brown. It pays to test the onion before putting the whole batch in the hot oil and see what texture you prefer on the inside.
- Drain Bloomin onion bites on paper towels. Optional: Season with salt while still hot.
- Serve with ranch dressing.
Related Viral Appetizer Recipes
- These TikTok Buffalo Chicken Taquitos Recipe not only make a great appetizer but a kid-friendly dinner as well.
- Throw a jar of pickles with ranch seasoning for a quick, tasty snack.
- 44 Million viewers on this TikTok Pizza Bite recipe – SO easy, SO good, SO fun!
- You must try this homemade cheez-its recipe!
- Need some easy party food ideas? Try a potato cheese sticks recipe, Dorito Cheese sticks recipe, and one of our favorite recipes, the Garlic Parmesan Pizza Rolls recipe.